Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Wireless Bluetooth Phones???

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Dan6971, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Dan6971

Dan6971 New Member

When is Verizon Wireless going to have Bluetooth enabled phones?

I know that they have the Motorola V710, but you can't beam your photos to your computer with infrared Bluetooth, with that phone. :(

I heard that there will be a Samsung 660 model? Is that true? Where can I see it? I also heard there may be a Palm Treo, Bluetooth enabled phone for Verizon Wireless - is that true?

[​IMG] What other Bluetooth enabled phones will Verizon Wireless have by March 2005?

Thanks,
    Dan from Long Island

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Nokia 6255i I don't know if it will be out by Mar 2005?
    I don't know why that many CDMA phones that do bluetooth. Alot of GSM phones have it. I am sure someone out there knows why that is the case.

Here is the first Bluetooth phone for Verizon. Bluetooth phone.
    about all it can do is download 5 ringtones and few other things.

3. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
  4. Dan6971

Dan6971 New Member

How much are both of those phones going to cost? Will there be any rebates or price reduction for people with new plans on Verizon Wireless?

Thanks,
    Dan

5. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Currently, Verizon believes that limiting Bluetooth is in it's best interest. By forcing you to pay for Picture Messaging and/or the upload service, they make money. I believe they will continure to limit functionality so long a customers are willing to pay for their services in order to get pictures off the phone.

6. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The Motoroal 270c is an old phone that is long since discontinued. The Audiovox is a PocketPC device which means it will probably be at least $300 with a 2 year contract.

7. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
  8. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I'd say much more. PDA Phones are starting at $500.00 - $700.00 unless it's something old like the Audiovox Thera or Kyocera 7135.

9. ejoech

ejoech New Member

The only reason I want Bluetooth is so I can have a freaking wireless headset. I don't need any features but the wireless capability. I hate my headset and it's wire.

#9 ejoech, Jan 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
  10. Lexhair

Lexhair Junior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint
    The v710 works fine with BT headsets (mine's an HS810). The v710 also works well as a BT modem for my Palm T2 and my Mac iBook.

#10 Lexhair, Jan 3, 2005
  11. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If that's your only concern, you can get the V710 now with the wireless headset. Most people are not happy with the wireless aspect of BT on VZW. I keep on hearing from a friend who's on Cingular that he beams his address book and other things from his Mac Powerbook to his V3 Razr.

#11 twopiece, Jan 3, 2005
  12. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    if thats what you want to do with bluetooth I suggest you switch carriers. Like crood said Verizon likes to cripple bluetooth capabilities on their cell phones and this practice will most likely continue onto all of their bluetooth phones in the future. So in order to transfer your pictures to a computer you will most likely need a non-verizon phone.

13. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Transferring files & such over Bluetooth threatens an established VZW revenue source - specifically, GIN. So VZW takes the only step it can to protect it's revenue stream by locking down OBEX on the V710 (and future phones). Cingular & TMobile are starting to get into the content business, but whereas the V710 is VZW's first real attempt at a BT-enabled phone (no, the T270 doesn't count), Bluetooth-enabled phones have been available from the GSM carriers for some time, and as such there's a larger and more vocal user community that would balk at BT restrictions. It might not stop the GSM carriers from trying, but I doubt they'd be successful.

I was content with the restrictions on BT file transfer, so long as I was still able to use the TransFlash card on the V710. But as VZW becomes more entrenched in the content business, DRM is going to become more important, which is part of the reason VZW is, based on the version of the updated firmware going around, trying to disable audio file transfers via TF. Fair use be damned if there's profit to be had! But the more VZW meddles, the more I'm tempted to ETF out and port my number to the Orange & Blue splat. I'm just waiting to see how the V635 pans out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. KenS

KenS Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710+HS820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well said. I've got 19 months to go on my VZW contract (and, in general,
    I like my V710) but if Verizon hasn't learned its lesson by then, I'm changing
    carriers (after 10+ years as a loyal BAM/VZW customer).

For me, it's not about ringtones or even photos (although that's an issue), it's that in the pursuit of controlling those potential revenue streams they're limiting the functionality of simple things that ought to work transparently, like phonebook and calendar sync, and beaming phonebook-entry "business cards". And the apparent mindset that lets them do that for short-term gain, doesn't augur well for their future direction.

My phone is part of a system that includes laptop, desktop, and PDA systems, and will likely include other systems (e.g., car hands-free and navigation devices, office phone dialers) in the future. These all should work together and share information (hopefully) seamlessly. Putting artificial roadblocks on bluetooth undercuts the potential for that technology to give me the kind of system I want in the future. And that's a point of view that makes VZW sufficiently less interesting as a provider, that all their quality of service doesn't balance it in my eyes.

As a first attempt, the V710 is an interesting development from VZW. What will really matter is whether their future offerings take bluetooth in a more open direction, or close the holes they left. Right now all I'm hearing about the new firmware on this and other boards suggests that they're still thinking they can get away with owning the whole system. I don't agree, and I plan to vote with my money when the time comes.

15. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Lexhair

Lexhair Junior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint
    I share your perspective 100%. I'm very happy with my V710 right now. It does everything BT related I need it to. Pairs with my Palm Tungten T2, pairs with my iBook and works with my HS810. Perhaps I will need more functionality in a year and a half when my VZW contract expires. If VZW isn't providing it and "The Bar" has been raised high enough where I get comparable service where I live/work/travel, I'll jump without reservation.

17. Dan6971

Dan6971 New Member

I want to switch to Verizon next month when my stupid AT&T contract is up.

AT&T can kiss my ___!!! I can finally stick it to them - they are getting no more of my dough!!!

I pay only $40, but I have 1000 regular minutes and 1000 mobile minutes, and night and weekend, etc.

I want to go to Verizon - where all of my friends are... Then, we can all talk for as long as we want without worrying about going over.

Any news from CES about (affordable) Bluetooth Phones, release dates, and the ability to beam photos to my laptop wirelessly?

If I can get pictures from the VX7000 to my laptop via wire, I don't care so much. But if I can get a phone that I can use a wireless headset with - that would rock!!!

18. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Dan - you seem to have some pent up (although probably understandable) anger towards your service provider. I'm curious as to why - were there billing problems? Were you not able to get signal on the Island? (And have you noticed any improvement since the CingulATT merger?) I ask this because, while the fact that all of your friends are on VZW is certainly one valid reason to switch, if you're otherwise satisfied with the SERVICE (meaning signal quality, primarily), you might want to give Cingular another chance. You should at least check out the signal quality on VZW (with a friend's phone, etc.) before you port over.

Also, right now you're paying $40 for 1000 peak, 1000 mobile to mobile, and (presumably unlimited) night & weekend minutes. That same $40 at VZW is only going to buy you 400 peak, albeit with unlimited mobile-to-mobile, night & weekend. That's something to consider if you do a lot of peak-hour calling.

As far as Bluetooth phones...you're probably going to be disappointed. VZW views BT as a massive threat to their revenue streams (ie: GetItNow), and on the V710 they have only enabled the Handsfree, Headset and Dial-Up Networking profiles. And if what I've been hearing is accurate, look for VZW to lock the phone down even further in the near future. (Right now, the fact that OBEX is disabled can be overcome using the Transflash card, but VZW is likely to lock that down too.) The GSM carriers give their BT users a lot more liberty - but I've posted about that at length in another thread.

Just some things to consider.

19. Dan6971

Dan6971 New Member

Yes - AT&T can kiss my ___!!!

Last year, right before they added their "View Minutes" feature, I had been in Florida and did not know that my mobile minutes were localized, so I went over with my minutes by over 200 minutes. I tried to sign up with "View Minutes" on May 23rd - the first day, but when you signed up, it would go into effect the next billing cycle, so I got screwed because of their ***ked up site.

Secondly, this past summer, when looking at my used minutes, I had 150 minutes left, with like 2 days to go. However, they site was incorrect and when I called to tell them, they said that it was an estimate that could take 24 hours to update - while their terms and conditions say 45 minutes. I called my grandma for 40 minutes, at 8pm, on the last day of my cycle - why would I call my grandma at 8pm if I didn't have any minutes left? I would have used a pay phone and paid 25 cents each 3 minutes, rather than $1.20 for 3 minutes. It ended up costing me like $50 for that phone call. So, they totally screwed me over by having a completely faulty site. If I gave them one more penny, I'd be so pissed off everyday that I use it.

My fiancee and all of my friends are on Verizon, so having only 400 minutes, rather than 1000 minutes doesn't bother me, because although I had 1000 minutes (more than enough), it was reducing the amount of minutes that my fiancee and friends have, after talking to me.

So, what is my hope for Bluetooth phones at the end of February?

Also, which is better: Samsung VX7000 or Motorola V710

20. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You mean the LG VX7000 right?

It's a tough call. Most of the problems of the V710 stemmed from the camera and TF slot. Overall, the complaints seemed to have died down.

Although they're both big phones, I don't think you'll go wrong with either of them.

21. Dan6971

Dan6971 New Member

Oh yeah, LG VX7000 - your icon with the boobs got me confused...

22. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    I don't understand how Verizon can see Bluetooth as being a threat to revenue generated from such things as ringtones, wallpapers, etc. Bluetooth has been around in Europe for years, most mobiles now come with Bluetooth as standard now, and customers still spend vast sums of money on content from the networks.

Bluetooth has become particuarly popular over the last year or so because of laws in several European countries banning the use of a mobile whilst driving, so many people have bought Bluetooth headsets.

23. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Verizon sells services to transfer pictures, ringtones, and address book backups. That's how they see BT as a threat to revenue. It's not just about buying new content, but transferring existing content. In addition, they have contracts with their GIN partners where they have to block this access (or so they say). Their few BT phones do allow for headset use.

24. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It is not only Verizon. Sprint also crippled bluetooth in the LG PM-325. It seems CDMA carriers have something against bluetooth.

25. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    @crood

Many people use bluetooth to transfer content between handsets in Europe, but as I said before, they still spend money on buying new content.

Personally I use Bluetooth a great deal, not only for transferring files between handsets, but also to my PC. I also use Bluetooth to connect to the internet through GPRS whilst travelling and I reguarly use a Bluetooth headset. How did we ever manage without it? :p

26. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    See, that's the thing. BT has been around longer in Europe. In general, US companies (both telecom and otherwise) have been slow to adopt it, so there's been no great rush to BT on cell phones in the States. The GSM carriers have had it longer because many of their phones are the same as those sold in Europe and Asia. The selection of CDMA phones, used by Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and other carriers, is almost entirely exclusive to the US. You may find similar-looking phones in Korea, but I promise you the feature sets will be different. Sprint and VZW have never viewed Bluetooth as a priority, and with BT now gaining popularity, they see it as a threat to their revenue-generating services. I can't explain why they don't look at the data from Europe, but that's the choice they've made.

27. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    @Critic

Samsung have only recently begun to include Bluetooth in their handsets, the lack of Bluetooth has always put me off Samsung, but they seem to have realised that people want it at last. Bluetooth was never very popular in Japan and Korea and this is probably part of the reason Samsung haven't included Bluetooth in their handsets until now.

IrDA is becoming something of a relic in Europe due to Bluetooth's popularity. Personally I very rarely use IrDA, but it is nice to have it all the same.

I have read a lot of comments from Americans, which say that the hardware they have access to is behind that available in Europe and Asia, but I consider the lack of services in the U.S. to be one of the factors holding back hardware development. For instance, one of the UK networks, Orange, provides cinema vouchers to its users through their mobiles, one just takes one's mobile to the cinema to get a discount. This service promotes the use of data services and thus prompts customers to buy handsets capable of utilising such services.