Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VERIZON VX1 LG TM520 VX1 RELEASE DATE!!!!

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Guest, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Listen up boys & girls..

We've heard this before but I left a message for an engineer at an LG office in California to return my call in reference to the VX1 release date and here's what he said..

The scheduled release date is January 15th, 2002. He said the release date is "solid" and while Verizon could choose to release it a day earlier or a day later, he was just about positive you will see it on January 15th. Someone via mailing list advsied they found out the release date was January 14th. Point & case, we're nearing release date within the next 2 weeks for sure.

The engineer also advised me of some interesting facts. When asked if the VX1 will be backward compatible with the TM510's accessories, I was told some accessories will work and some will not. He claimed the handsfree in-car kit for the 510 will work with the VX1 but the VX1 will not be able to take full advantage of the accessory. Anotherwords, he's saying if you buy the VX1 to wait and purcase accessories manufactured specifically for the VX1.

He also went on to tell me by the end of the year LG plans to have out a VX2. He claimed the model could change, but that this phone will have a full color screen, video playback capabilities and many many more features. While there's no real speculation on when the VX2 will be released, it's for sure to be one cool phone. Why verizon is lacking a phone with a color screen, I don't know.

In any event, make sure you get your VX1 on January 15th ;)

2. haasman

haasman Member

What are the differences between a tm510 and the VX1 LG TM520?

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Supposedly (before they kept changing the specs), it has alphabetized phonebook, is 3G, enhanced voice commands, downloadable ringtones and more.

4. haasman

haasman Member

Ah ... sorry to annoy here. I just joined the forum today 1/7/02. Simply wanted to gain some knowledge.

5. knupla2

knupla2 New Member

Looks like we have about 8 days to find out if the 520 will make it. If so, I'm upgrading right then....

STeve Aikens

6. haasman

haasman Member

Would someone mind explaining why everyone is so excited regarding the 520 over the 510?

Thanks

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I've heard the release is only in the West and Northeast. Midwest is snubbed once again.

This is what I found...oh yeah..they've removed all of the voice features...

Verizon Wireless
    Wireless Devices Group
    Launch Information VX1
    1/4/2002

Effective Date - January 14, 2002

Affected Areas - Launch in Northeast and West areas. The VX1 will
    also be available to customers in that/those areas through the On-
    Line store at :
    www.verizonwireless.com

Overview - The LGE-VX1 is one of the smallest and lightest tri-mode
    phones on the market. Its distinctive glossy silver body shows the
    world that this phone is different, and its 21 unique ringer tones
    tell the world how different it is. It's vibrating alert will not
    let you disturb the rest of the world. The crisp inside display
    allows clearer mobile web browsing and message review, while the
    outside display allows you to check your Caller ID on incoming calls
    without opening the phone. The extensive phone book has 199 personal
    memory locations where you can store up to 5 phone numbers with 32
    digit capacity for each number. The VX1 is also the first phone in
    the next generation of digital handsets employing 1XRTT technology,
    which allows for faster speeds for data transmission.

Features - Standout features of the VX1 include:

*Tri-Mode (800 MHZ Amps/800MHz CDMA/1900 MHz PCS) Operation
    *Dimensions : 3.3" x 1.8" x 0.97"
    *Weight : 3.8 ounces
    *Standard 2.5mm headset jack to accept universal hands free headsets.
    *Internal and External LCD display with time/date and Caller ID.
    *4-way Mouse Key
    *7 line full bit map display (6lines of text and 1 line of icons)
    *21 Ring Tones
    *Vibration Alert
    *Stores up to 199 numbers with multiple numbers per entry
    *Openwave 4.1 WAP enabled Web Browser
    *CDMA Data Capable
    *Send and Recieve Short Text Messages Capable
    *Predictive Text input for faster text entry for text messages
    *Scheduler for maintaining your appointments
    *Stores last 10 numbers dialed, last 10 recieved or last 10 missed
    for easier redialing
    *1XRTT capable for faster data transmission
    *Plays two games (Comanche and Blackjack) complete with sound!
    *Calculator
    *OTA capable

Packaging - Each VX1 phone is packaged with :

*One standard Lithium -Ion Battery (900 mAh)
    *One Holster
    *One AC mid-rate Desktop Charger
    *One User Guide
    *One Warranty Card

Battery Specifications - The VX1 with the included 900 mAh Standard
    Lithium Ion Battery features the following performance times :

Digital Usage Time - Up to 180 minutes
    Digital Standby Time - Up to 200 hours

National Retail Price - The National retail price for the VX1 is
    $179.99. Pricing may vary by Area or Region to accommodate local
    Price Plan, Promotional or Customer Agreement requirements.

8. mainfraim

mainfraim New Member

I have a Motorola V8160 right now and my 15 days of cancelling returning etc, are up on the 17th. I was supposed to return the phone that I have now because it's doesn't work and it's the second one anyways. Is it worth it to hold off returning it until the VX1? Is it going to be that fantastic of a phone?

thanks

9. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    MainFraim

If you have not already checked out the user group at the bottom, do so. There seems to be a lot of confusion and discussion on whether the phone will end up being that good or not. Members are becoming disenchanted.

Background: the group was started by the owner of the LG TM510. When its successor was announced, he started the TM520. Though the phone was later renamed and the owner of the group changed the intro, the group's name has remained the same. I was a member back when I expected its release in Sept/Oct of last year.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tm520

10. haasman

haasman Member

11. haasman

haasman Member

If this is correct .... then the Vx1 will have VD

I did a little searching and found in a press release from COMDEX this fall:

"LG Electronics is also offering the LG-VX1, a 1xRTT phone that provides voice and data transfer rates of up to 144K bit/sec. The clamshell design includes an external LCD, and operates on the 800MHz CDMA, 1.9GHz CDMA and 800MHz AMPS networks. The VX1 includes the Openwave 4.1 browser, voice dialing and recording, caller ID, an estimated 250 hours of standby time and 200 minutes of talk time, among other features. Expect to see this phone by the end of the year.

The third phone, the LG-VX10, takes the LG-VX1 model and adds the capabilities of Qualcomm’s BREW platform, which reportedly gives users the ability to download applications easier than with other operating system platforms. Expect to see the VX10 in the first quarter of 2002."

Here is the source: http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/mobile/2001/01123504.html

12. Guest

Guest Guest

i don't think that's correct any longer (voice dialing)...

i think they removed the voice features to keep the cost down...or to finally get it released...

the lg site no longer mentions voice features for the phone....at the time of comdex, the vx1 was being reported as having the VD features...

i agree with the disenchantment going on...i thought the phone was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've put off switching to verizon for this phone...now i think i'm going to have to wait longer...not only because i'm in the midwest where they're not releasing the phone yet, but also because the phone doesn't seem to be living up to the hype anymore...

i think i'll wait a little longer for the samsung n370 or ericsson t60c...

13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I suppose anything is possible, but somehow I can't see why cost or releaseability would have anything to do with it.

Let me explain why I feel this way:
    1. The VX1 had already undergone extensive testing in a mid-east market and passed with flying colors (with voicedial).

2. Voicedial was already built into the machine and its predecessor (TM510), so how could removing the feature save money or help its release date?

3. The postponement of the release had nothing to do with the phone. It was Verizon's 3G network that was the holdup. (I think this conjecture is more than proven in that the VX1's cousin (the TP5200) was released on-time on the Sprint network. So LG, the hanset vendor, was ready, willing and able.)

Kevin

14. DiverDown

DiverDown Member

I am excited about the vx1 but I don't understand why so many of you think the 510 was a good phone. Its recieving capabilities were awful and it took ten mintues to get to the phonebook to look up the number, the phone was and is a peace of garbage. I hope besides the midi ringer on the 520 they have also made it as easy to use as the sprint one.

Its going to have to be one hell of a phone to be better then the V60 and cost half as much, I am not saying that it can't be I am just saying that LG hasn't made any good verizon phones, just like samsung hasn't also. I love Verizon and think there service is execellent but the 850 by samsung was a peace of garbage while my brother who had the sprint one never had a problem with it. Same with LG my buddy loves is Tp1100 for sprint, but many people have agreed at how confusing and difficult the one for verizon is.

Honestly I think everyone including myself is getting to excited for a phone that doesn't have a good track record with Verizon.

And for a dirt cheap price like 180 (mind you the startac is still 200 and the V60 is 400) I believe my hopes are to hi.

P.S. Yes I do believe that motorola charges to much for there phones.

15. knupla2

knupla2 New Member

that was the holdup. (I think this conjecture is more than proven in that the VX1's cousin (the TP5200) was released on-time on the Sprint network.

The TP5200 has already been discontinued. The replacement is the TP5250. Unfortunately, it's only available through SprintPCS.

Looking over the information on the VD capabilities and how it appears to function, it may rely more heavily on the net connection end of it than Verizon is ready for, which could be the reason for the hold up [as Kevin alludes to]. It appears the stored VD capabilites of the phone are similar to those of the TM510. I suspect the true VD capability is web based.

Steve Aikens

16. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    knupla2,

The discussion group I linked to earlier in this thread has debated and conjectured on this (voice dial) until they are blue in the face. Supposedly, the newest release date is 1/14, which is just a few days away. I guess wait until then and if it is truly (finally!) released, go and see if it does or doesn't have voice dialing.

I gave up waiting for this phone back in November and got myself a Panasonic Allure.

17. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Since non-members of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tm520 cannot read messages, I copied this from the site. A member there was sent the following reply from a Mr. Sam Parks (employed by LG), whom I know to be a reputable resource:

Due to memory issues, the VX1 does <u>not</u> have voice dial features. However, the phone does have a phonebook arranged in alphabetic order. If you do not plan to use the data functionality, then the possible higher cost of the phone may not be worth that extra feature. The TM-510 is a very good phone, but it is not mean for high data use since it is limited to roughly 14.4 kbps transmit speeds. The VX1 can use the TM-510 portable chargers, but due to a more sophisticated charge status counter located now within the phone, there are a new set of accessories for the phone. With the old accessories, you will not know when the unit is finished charging. Other accessories that are form fitting such as an installed car kit, holster or desktop chargers will be non-compatible.

18. knupla2

knupla2 New Member

That's great information Kevin, Thanks. I hope it's reasonably accurate. I have the option of an upgrade as soon as Verizon gets their mitts on it and if the phone book is alph, that alone would encourage me to take it - true VD would be mys biggest reason but the phone book being just dumped in is a bummer.

I also heard, whether it's right or wrong I don't know, that power drain is a little better handled, which this phone [the 510] really needs.

Thanks again.

Steve Aikens

19. haasman

haasman Member

I believe it is also smaller in some dimension. We are hearing that the holster and other &quot;form fitting&quot; accessories will not fit the Vx1. The LG site states that the Vx1 is 3.8 oz verses the 510's 4.23 oz. That is roughly a 10% difference. Hopefully a reduction in thickness.

20. biglaw11

biglaw11 New Member

Wow..this is good news...I'm debating between Verizon or ATT as my next service provider. For verizon, I was considering the LG-510, but hearing this, I might wait till the TM-520 comes out and see what it's all about.

So they said around the 14th or the 15th in VERIZON stores only....but what about those smaller (typically asian) cellular stores that offer them at a significantly lower price? Man....hate waiting. oh wells...thanks guys for all the info.

-biglaw11

21. haljimmy

haljimmy New Member

Just thought I'd share some updated information regarding the LG VX1 release. This morning I contacted both a local Verizon store here in downtown Portland, as well as customer care for the Northwest Region, and both locations state they have no idea as to when the VX1 is going to be released. I'm very anxious for this model to hit the market, but based upon LG's repeated delays, I'm not holding out to much hope for a release anytime soon.

If anyone hears otherwise, please leave a post.

Thanks!

22. haasman

haasman Member

23. Guest

Guest Guest

I work for Verizon Wireless and we just got the phone in today, We will be selling next month on the 14th this month on the 25th we are droping the prices on the 510's an trying to sell them out. And yes he phone does have voice activated dialing.Text

24. Guest

Guest Guest

verizon said that it will be out this month april

25. Guest

Guest Guest

I just got the LG VX1 and the ringer is SO SOFT that I can barely hear it. Also, the browser isn't any faster than my TM 510. Seems like 1X data services are only in you hook up a computer! Lame. I waited for a year for this phone. I'm returning it Monday,

26. Guest

Guest Guest

This phone claims it's "OTA capable", which, based on what I understand, means I can send ringtones and such to it "over the air". Can someone tell me how to utilize this feature?

27. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

With any Verizon phone, you can not download or upload ringtones. This includes the VX1.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

That just means it's capable of the over the air programming...nothing to do with ringtones.

The ONLY phones that verizon has that can do ringtones are the Kyocera 3035 (only available from kycocera.com) and the BREW phones (3035e and z-800 are the only ones at this time).
    Trix