Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon vs. the rest in NYC

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

What do you New Yorkers think the best service is in the NYC area? Is it really Verizon?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    If you had the luxury of reading the old forums, I could point you to several posts from NYC that overwhelmingly think Verizon *is* the vendor of choice.

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    From what I've heard anything except AT&T and VoiceStream in NYC should be good service.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    What about GSM? Isn't that outdated technology? Just kidding.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream is very good in New York City and Long Island. Sounds are clear compaired to CDMA.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm not doubting that VoiceStream is good in NYC but I really don't believe that GSM sounds any better than CDMA.

9. Tony

Tony Junior Member

Actually, predominately the posts from the New York area on Voice Stream have indicated limited usage area and a lower call quality. However, I've never been to New York with any kind of cell phone.

10. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Well let me just speak for the New Yorkers. Verizon is a good choice don't get me wrong, but there phones are very unafordable and verizon tends to be to conservative with there plans and phones i know some customers of verizon that still walk around with analog phones. They could be a little bit better i think there best phone models are the LG series that kevin seems so adiment about, but there other models such as Audiovox, left over Nokia's (5185i)and some motorola phones dont work so well. I on the other hand have Gsm service in the NYC area and it is excellent alot better than CDMA or TDMA. about 85% of my co workers have Voicestream and would not trade it for the world due to there affordable plans and excellent service. Coming from a dealer people who tend to buy off line or by mail tend to have problems later on. Or they by a really inexpensive model that is on sale and they blame the service on a model that is not up to par. I would have to say Verizon has to start stepping up to the plate a little more with there plans.

11. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I agree with cell guy.Voicestream is excellent and i will not trade it in
    for the world.I had every carrier in the NYC area.Voicestream is much better and i never experience any problems at all.Besides,with a world
    phone,the service can be taken with you!One phone,One number THAT'S IT!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Hmmm. I have had Verizon wireless, with a Motorola phone (digital and analog) since May, and it works beautifully...certainly better than my husband's AT&T Ericcson. I just upgraded to get him a phone on my contract, and got the Nokia you mention, and our plan for $35/mo + $20 for the 2nd line (free phones both times), is 300 anytime minutes, 3200 nights and weekends (nights defined as after 9:01 PM, which is fine with me)...and our "home" area for long distance no roaming charges is Maine to So. Carolina. Everyone has different needs. For us, this is great. We don't travel much...and need the phone for hubby who is on the road in his job (I'm in an office)....and to act as a 2nd phone while I tie up our lines for the PC (not ready to spend twice the cost for a DLS connection)...

The reception on the Verizon is PERFECT. So, who knows. In NYC< I don't know.

13. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    VERIZON IS THE BEST.THEN COMES SPRINT PCS,AT&T,NEXTEL,THEN VOICESTREAM.