Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon vs Sprint

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by hammertime, Dec 4, 2007.

1. hammertime

hammertime Junior Member

I am concidering changing to Sprint because they are a little cheaper for me.
    Is there any reason that I should stay with Verizon?

2. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Well... not unless you want their horrible UI, crippled bluetooth, and NEG'd SIDs on your PRL.

Sprint is much more open in their roaming agreements. Not mention you pay the Sprint price and have access to both Sprint and Verizon networks - plus US Cellular (in your region).

Visit www.sprintusers.com/forums - this is a discussion board dedicated to Sprint. Might help you out in your decision.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    VZW doesn't have any "neg'd" System id's in their PRLs at all, with perhaps literally 1 foreign exception, which is " NEG - Shyam Telelink (India) ID # 14844 ........"
    if you check the sites that post & interpret the VZW PRL's ... ...

Mountain Wireless-PRL 50887

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

But Verizon does not have as extensive roaming agreements as Sprint. Isn't that correct?

5. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    unless your location is a secret, that would help people, help answer your question.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Trust me, Verizon has just as extensive roaming agreements as Sprint. Now they may not include a roaming partner in the PRLs in each market, like Sprint, but that does not mean they don't have roaming agreements.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    But does Verizon allow you to force roaming at will through the phone's normal menus like Sprint?

8. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Not all of them but if you have coverage why should it matter. Anyways back to the topic at hand honestly we really dont need to sit here and tell you to stay or not. If you want to go, then go. If not then stay simple enough.

9. dead zone

dead zone Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX10000 Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    i have both services verizon is my personal and the other is a family member

stay with verizon...........they have a way better service grid then sprint. i tried testing both of them too see which one i can take and i notice sprint had way more low signal spots then verizon.

sprint aint bad but not compared to verizon.

10. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    You just can't say that unless you know where OP is located! In the last three places I've lived Verizon has had no service at all - so you can't make that kind of blanket statement. - sheureka

11. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

There are two carriers both great in their own ways one will sometimes work better than the other. We can throw out all the third grader statements (look mine is better than yours). And can say what one can do over the other but plain and simple if your phone does not work in the places you frequent then go for the other if it does. Unless you want to deal with things you dont want to deal with. So in the question is verizon or sprint better well that is a matter of personal opinion and most important experience. So just get out there and test them out found out for yourselves.

12. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    :highclap:

Exactly, whatever works best for you is best for you.

13. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I believe the entire Sprint network is 1900 MHz PCS. Most of the Verizon network is 850MHz. You'll inherently get better indoor coverage on the Verizon network due to the frequencies used. That is one of the main reasons I chose VZ over Sprint.

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Yeah sprint is stricly 1900 and verizon is mostly 850 although some places like in florida they have 1900 in some aeas.

15. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    People always say this, but I'm not sure how true it is anymore. I have a friend that uses Sprint and whenever we hang out at our beach house at the Jersey shore his phone often shows "No Service" even though our Verizon phones have full service. I remember reading somewhere that Verizon was removing their roaming agreements with Sprint in some places.

16. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Verizon's phones roam on Sprint's network in very few places. Sprint's phones will roam on on Verizon's network in more places

17. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    True. People always assume that if they don't get Sprint service they will automatically roam on Verizon service. I'm pointing out a case where that is not true. So by having Sprint you do not automatically get 2 networks.

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint absolutely has a preferred roaming agreement in EVERY market. Usually it's either Alltel, Verizon or US Cellular, or even more than one of them. If the phone was showing no service then it's because of one of the following things:

1) It was not a dual band digital phone (ie. no 850 Mhz roaming capabilities)
    2) Is an IDEN or Hybrid CDMA/IDEN phone
    3) Was not set to automatic mode (most common mistake by users)
    4) Verizon is listed as a negative in the PRL and no other CDMA system is available (very unlikely)
    5) The phone was somehow defective or the PRL is out of date

Remember that Sprint phones can always be forced over to find the CDMA roaming partner if necessary. No other carrier allows you to use roaming at will. Sprint will very rarely and probably never remove Verizon as a roaming partner unless they have a sutiable alternative. Even then they would just move them lower in priority in the PRL and they can still be landed on as a backup.

I have yet to see any case where my phone would not find a CDMA roaming partner (if CDMA exists) when traveling outside of Sprint coverage or even in market. As long as the phone is capable, the roaming settings are correct, and the PRL is up to date you should be good to go.

#18 larry, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  19. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I really don't know. My friend is not the type of guy who would mess with his phone settings, so I'm sure he was using whatever the default settings on the phone were. Verizon and Sprint are the only CDMA providers in NJ so he definitely would not have been able to roam on USC or Alltel.

20. aarathi

aarathi New Member

They are the same kind of service. Go with the one that has the best reception in the area you are using it most and has the phones you want.

21. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    The ability to roam on a Sprint handset is nice, but what's the point? When you are roaming on Sprint, all calls eat up your minutes...no mobile to mobile or night and weekends....that was a deal breaker for me last year when I thought aout the switch. I want to be able to use my phone like I am home wherever I go and you get that with Alltel or Verizon.

22. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    No mobile to mobile, but nights and weekends don't use your minutes when you're roaming. - sheureka

23. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That is not correct. Night and weekend minutes are included when roaming and have been for a long time.

24. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    I have yet to see any case where my phone would not find a CDMA roaming partner (if CDMA exists) when traveling outside of Sprint coverage or even in market. As long as the phone is capable, the roaming settings are correct, and the PRL is up to date you should be good to go.[/QUOTE]

And I have yet to see a case where I needed to worry about forcing my Verizon phone to roam.

25. cheryld

cheryld New Member

what ever you do, do not go onto sprint. they are rip offs deseptive practices and stinky service. customer service are a bunch of idiots and total jerks. upper level people are even more stupid and trying to steal you money and chage fake things. i asked to talk to a customer service supervisor and they added 36.00 to my bill. besides charging me for im i never used and charged me a month of service that i did not use. i tried sprint for their trial period and got terrible reception so i cancelled in 22 days they charged me over 100.00 to do so. when i asked to talk to a supervisor they charged me an aditional 36.00. no matter what you call customer service about they didn't know what they were doing. i did wonder why when i told verizon i was switching to sprint they laughed now i know why. i went back to verizon.

the palm centro is an awsome phone and now at&t got it i sure hope verizon gets it to. but sprint isn't worth anything.