Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

verizon vs sprint in OR

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by shash, May 25, 2002.

1. shash

shash New Member

I will be moving to the portland, beaverton, hillsboro, OR area after summer.
    I am planning to buy a cell phone now because of the lower promotional rates on most plans, which is going to end soon.

can somebody compare the verizon and sprint services in these areas.

thanks,
    -sash.

2. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Where will you be traveling to mostly? Both Sprint and Verizon have very little coverage in Oregon, but you should be fine if you stay in the Eugene, Portland, Seattle areas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint does have coverage in some more rural areas of Oregon like Medford, Bend, Roseburg, Klamath Falls, Coos Bay, Grants Pass, Ashland and even Pendleton.

4. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The problem with Sprint is they usually stick only to the main Interstates(like the areas you mentioned), if you do any traveling across Oregon, I would not go with them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

If you love analog and are primarily rural go for ATT! Else, don't.

6. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Check out sprints map. They will probally offer more digital coverage in the area but when you are in analyog you are roaming and paying extra for it

Jack

7. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    One, AT&T is primarily digital, Two, being rural does not equate a love of analog.

8. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Sash,
    There should be no rush to sign up with a carrier. When the current promotional plans expire, new ones will take their place. It may be a better plan of action to wait and find out what others in your new neighborhood recommend. At least be there for the tryout period.

In reading all these newsgroups, the majority recommends AT&T in OR over Sprint and Verizon.

-Bill Radio

9. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Some areas I have noticed VZW can get kind of edgy around those areas that larry said those are mostly there extended area.

10. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    shash

did you decide on what you are going to go with

Jack

11. shash

shash New Member

actually, I am still very confused. This is going to be my first cell phone and hence, I have had no experience with any wireless service providers.

though, I have heard from friends that AT&T covers most areas of Oregon and California well. How about these areas near Portland....I-5 north and south, I84 East
    and Hwy26 to the coast and to Mt. Hood? Does anybody have any idea about which providers are good in these areas?

I will be working in Hillsboro, staying probably in Beaverton or Portland. I would not be travelling a lot except to the coast and to the nearby mountains.

Thank you all for your opinions,
    -sash

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

i cant say from personal experience but from being active on wireless forums it seems that at&t would be tops in oregon and the northern california areas including the more rural ones.

and its hard to tell from verizons maps where they have coverage considering that their national plan coverage map is just the entire USA in red.

13. chuckd

chuckd New Member

I too am moving from BC canada to Portland. MY requirements are the following:
    1. very low (free) long distance to Canada
    2. Best reception for Portland, Lake Oswego, Cascade locks, Hood river
    3. Has a phone with a IR interface that can beam to my Palm.
    4. Cheap

Any Ideas??

Thanks

Chuckd

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I just purchased a Siemens s46 multi-band. AT&T multiband expanded Local calling plan $39.99 p/mo should do the trick. It will also get you free long distance to B.C. http://www.attws.com/mobileinternet/multiband_local.jhtml Click on the specials tab.

If you don't want a multi band phone try one of the Nokia tri mode phones.
    AT&T WIRELESS GSM LOCAL NETWORK PLANS Same promotion with the $39.99 package.

15. dalbrich

dalbrich Junior Member

I am very familiar with coverage provided by AT&T, Verizon and Sprint in Oregon and Washington.

Sprint has good highway coverage, and decent city coverage but don't stray off the Interstates and expect service to be included. Sprint allows you to roam in analog, but they charge for this. Sprint's roaming partner in Oregon is AT&T for analog service. Sprint completely lacks coverage on the Northern Oregon coast, and has none at the ski areas including Mt. Hood. Sprint does not include SMS text messaging in their basic plans. The quality of Sprint coverage here in Eugene Oregon is terrible, with many holes in town where other carriers have service. Their service in Portland is much more reasonable, so if you only care for in-town and on interstate coverage they are a fine provider.

Verizon - Good provider, good coverage. With a Verizon phone you can roam in analog for free (on local two-state plans - WA/OR). You can also roam on Sprint anywhere Verizon lacks service where Sprint does have service in these states. Quality of coverage (holes and whatnot) tends to be slightly below AT&T. All in all, AT&T and Verizon are very comparable in Oregon, and other features may make the decision. i.e. Verizon supports free 14.4K data with laptop, and AT&T does not. Verizon lets you force-analog at will, and AT&T does not. Verizon lets you check minute usage even on local plans, and AT&T does not (TDMA).

AT&T- Their basic service is generally the best in Oregon and Washington (traditional TDMA/Analog) coverage. Rate plans have been sucking lately (cost-per minute) and they're pushing hard to get folks to GSM, but their GSM rollout is far from complete, and coverage in this area stinks at this time.

i.e. Verizon local 2 state plan has 700 peak minutes, thousands of off-peak, free nationwide long distance when calling from WA/OR, with N&W starting at 8pm - $45/mo.

AT&T has 2 state plan with 350 peak min, thousands off peak, free nationwide LD when calling from WA/OR, NW starting at *9pm* - $40/mo.

If it were me, I'd choose Verizon at this time for a good local plan.

If you need network plan or truly national plan, then you need to compare them there. Note that Verizon has less native Oregon coverage than AT&T so AT&T's network plan has more included areas than Verizon in Oregon.

Each has tradeoffs. Each has advantages and disadvantages...

-Dan

PS: I carry both Verizon and AT&T network phones. I prefer Verizon for my primary lines because they support "free" data-- meaning just uses my minutes.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

HELP!!!!!!

I AM THE LAST PERSON ON EARTH (ooops sorry for yelling...i got excited)...ah, thats better. Whew.

OK then, I am the last person on earth who does not have a cell phone. I live in Cottage Grove OR and work in Eugene. Got ATT Shared Plan two days ago, went to Dorena Lake, DARNED SERVICE DID NOT WORK...WHAT BS. TOOK PHONES BACK TO ATT STORE, SHOVED THEM WHERE THE SUN DOES NOT SHINE, pissed right off, cancelled service. Oooops, sorry, still mad. Remember, Tanya Harding is also from Oregon. OK OK OK, calming down.

I was using a Nokia phone with an internal antana (I live in rural oregon so I am not expected to be able to spell very well) Once south of Creswell, a scant 8 miles from Eugene, the signal strength went to "3" and 4 miles out of Cottage Grove towards Dorena, there was no signal or, a "1" on the signal strength bar.

I do travel to the coast sometimes via Drain and, I would imagine that ATT service is unavialable much of the way there. Given that, what good is it then?????????????????????????? Could as well continue to use my pager and find a pay phone. In fact, unless you live and stay in a big city, this whole cell phone thing seems like a big scam. SHHHHHH don't tell anyone else...could cause further collapse of the telecommunication sector.

This problem in South Lane County (in addition to all the wormy and deceptive crap like roaming charges) have kept me out of the cell phone market. Also, the ATT service sounds like a walkie-talkie (when it actually works)...really poor reception IMO.

I HAVE LOTS OF MONEY AND GREAT CREDIT. WHEN SOMETHING WORKS I TEND TO STICK WITH IT FOREVER VERY LOYALLY. REALIZING THAT CELL PHONE SELLERS POST HERE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT

agc@efn.org

and if your solution makes sense, I will be there with bells on as they say.

If anyone else has input, thanks also!!!!

17. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I dunno if anyone here has bothered to consider US Cellular out there... I use it in Knoxville and it's great, and their map of that area looks really good. Their rate plans are really good, including no roaming charges in WA, OR, ID, UT, NV, CA, WY; free long distance, voicemail, etc. Just thought I'd throw them out there as an alternative to VZW, also seeing as how VZW uses them as a roaming partner for most of Oregon in the areas where they don't have native coverage. I DO know USCC's customer service is top-notch, at least in my area. Their phone selection is not all that great, though.

18. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Edge Wireless is also a good choice. They are part of AT&T, so your all your features( 2 way SMS, VM indicator, web on demand, etc.)will work on AT&T's TDMA network too. Edge is an AT&T affiliate using 1900 TDMA by the way. They are going to be going to GSM over the next couple of years. They currently have coverage in Oregon, California, Wyoming, and Idaho, and soon Washington, Nevada, Montana, Colorado, and Arizona.

www.edgewireless.com