Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon vs. Cingular=York, PA

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by douglasa, Jul 13, 2005.

1. douglasa

douglasa New Member

??? I am getting ready to switch our company to either Cingular or Verizon and would like some assistance from some locals as to coverage. Which Service is going to be best TDMA by Verizon or GSM by Cingular. The phone are used only for talking, no networking or internet

2. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would say go with Verizon if you want good in building coverage..Have you considered Sprint?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. douglasa

douglasa New Member

Yes I have Considered Sprint but they are not nearly as strong as Verizon and Cingular in our market

4. dtownfb

dtownfb Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I live in York and can say that Verizon has great coverage in this area. The only dead spot I have found is on Route 83 about 1 mile north of the maryland border.

5. douglasa

douglasa New Member

Thanks. I have been asking people with the two services, and have been hearing better coverage from Verizon as well.

6. EquipmentSME

EquipmentSME New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6620
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Former AWS)
    AWS/Cingular has great coverage at 850mhz GSM (using the original VANGUARD CELLULAR - CELL ONE) layout from the late 90's (Vanguard Cellular was bought by AWS in 99) around the central PA area mainly from Harrisburg down to the I-83 PA/MD boarder. 2 years ago I was able to hold a GSM phone call from BWI airport to Harrisburg without dropping the call on I-83.

7. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

So far this year, Cingular has turned on more than 55 new cell sites in the Greater Philadelphia area, including four in each of the following Pennsylvania counties; Fulton, Monroe and York

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

VZW coverage, RF wise, is pretty good. Yes, the usual dead areas near Md. line, and Glren Rock area. However, as may be the trbl with Cing., the network is overloaded. Call quality can be very, very, poor, esp. if calling mob. to mob.
    I work for VZN / fGTE ntwk in York, and talk to field techs. all the time using VZW phones. ( I personally also have VZW service) I'm always saying "what?", and find for whatover reason, call quality changes greatly. I believe this is network capacity issues (over sold, not enough investment in the infrastructure, etc.)
    I personally feel that GSM offers a much better call quality, but don't have any recent exp. with Cing. in our area. The CDMA tech. and all it's compression and noise cancelling, creates a very "robotic" nature to voice at times, and when bad, becomes unintelligble. However, I've read where Cing. is having major trbl with dropped calls. Again, perhaps a capacity issue on their GSM ntwks, and this is how the problem manifests itself.
    I've been considering dropping my landline, but feel that GSM is needed to get close to call quality. I'm actually considering T Mob., as they seem the least toxic of the wireless carriers.

Steve / York, PA.