Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon vs. Cingular in NYC & Vicinity

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jackorhythm, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Yes, the e815 is out and available, like Dru said, some people claim there are OBEX limitations, others claim there are none, but with time, people will find ways to uncripple those limitations. I'm planning on jumping ship to this phone shortly.

2. jackorhythm

jackorhythm New Member

yeah-here's a good one: it shows up on the vzw site on special for $99 after rebate w/a free v265 and a 2 year contract. i tried to order it but get a message saying it's not available. i know i'm going verizon but, like that time i was dating that dancer, the features are attractive but i feel like sooner or later i'm gonna get my *** kicked.

3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hey Jackorythmn:

I know you chose Verizon...seems reasonable, but since you like the BT stuff (OBEX works fine), this is really a good time to try a 30 trial with Cingular at the same time. Once you lock into a 2 year contract and you find out that cingular fits your needs........your stuck. Using a phone were you need it is the best test.

Good luck

4. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    I have had good coverage with Verizon everytime I go there. One of my friends has Cingular in the NYC and is looking to move over to Verizon. He has been complaining of more calls going right to voicemail and loss of coverage, and some busy signals. Might just be growing pains.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

What area is he Having this problem?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There are some people on the Orange plans that say there coverage got better, and some saying it got worst & some on Blue saying they the same things. I have also heard the same thing with Verizon customers, but I don't think it has been as bad as in the past, at least on this side of the river that is the way it has been going.
    I do think it's growing pains and hopefully it will get straightened out by the years end or at the worst early 06.

7. jackorhythm

jackorhythm New Member

here's an interesting development: i really got a little sour on the verizon phone thing at the last minute with the 815 being a little bigger than i'd like and the whole hacking thing(i mean, why should i really have to deal with that?) so i decided to give cingular a trial. a local store gave me a stupid deal on a black razr(albeit on back order) and gave me a v265(?) as a loaner. my initial opinion was that cingular coverage was way worse than even tmobile. i was ready to give it up after 2 days but they unlocked my old nokia 6010(that i had used on tmobile after the sony phoned crapped out) and switched the sim card to it and i will say that the reception is tons better than it ever was on tmobile. this tells me 2 things:
    1)cingular is certainly better than tmobile in nyc and vicinity
    2)the phone MATTERS
    2a)the 6010 is a really good phone, at least reception-wise.

so now i have to hope that the razr works as well as the nokia and that they actually get it to me before the trial period expires.

to be cont.......

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I keep saying this to everyone: Don't judge the carrier for poorly built phones.They don't make the phones. The RAZR is much better than any of the cheap Motorolas. However, Nokias still perform better. So, as you said, yes, the phone MATTERS.

I'm glad you didn't jump to the wrong conclusion thinking T-Mobile is actually better in NYC and surroundings.

9. jackorhythm

jackorhythm New Member

i hope the new, high end razr is as good as the old, low end nokia. how does the razr's reception compare to the 815?

10. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    I hope you mean "how does the razr's reception compare to the 815 given equal network conditions?" That is a very good question.

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's very hard to compare the reception on two phones that operate on two different carriers and virtually impossible to compare when they use two different technologies (CDMA and GSM). So I don't think that question can be answered.

The RAZR's reception is almost as good as any good Nokia. That extra kink in Nokia's performance is what sets them apart.

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well, you always have the 6010 to use with Cingular. You don't have to accept the razr, but rather save your 'free' sign up phone option for later in time. Since you brought a phone with you, Cing should give you credit for a new phone anytime you want....

From vacation in the Bahamas where my Cingular phone is working fine on BaTelCell !

P.S. The V551 and Nokia 6230 seem about equally good, but I haven't been in a situation to really test the limit.

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Try them on the T-Mobile network to test the limits. ;)

14. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    That would only test the abillities at 1900MHz thought. What if the one that performs the best at 1900 doesn't perform as well at 850MHz?

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I guess you didn't get the joke. ;)

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    LOL Ok I got the joke, but I didn't see it until tonight :)

Came back from the Bahamas (Nassau/Paradise Island) were the mostly american vacationers were not carrying cell phones (or at least not too many). I figured that being on vacation finally people left their phones in the hotel rooms and relaxed. At the Atlantis Resort that's a lot of people.

But my daughter was busy SMS'ing all her friends (and Daddy). It turns out that many people on the beach were absolutely amazed that she had service and wondered what service she had. Of course Verizon/sprint doesn't work, but apparently Tmobile was not functional either, only Cingular was working on the native BaTelCell network (1900Mhz).

On these small flat islands it's fun to have max bars no matter where you are. I think my daughter potentially switched a lot of customers over to Cingular.

One afternoon, my service disappeared, but the wife and daughter were fine. It seemed to be just my account (switching sims proved that). Then the next day it was working again.

Anyhow, sorry that I'm off topic. But GSM is just so great. This same week I was SMSing my brother/wife while they were in Paris on vacation while I'm on the beaches of the Bahamas!.

Jackorythm let us know the continuing story. BTW great service all the way from LGA , the Hutch, and up I684 to northern CT on Cingular. A few no signal spots, but they were momentary.

viewfly

17. jackorhythm

jackorhythm New Member

okay, here's the coda:

the black v3 came today. it's super slick. it looks great, fits neatly in my pocket, reception is maybe 2% less than the old nokia but great. so far, so good............except 1 thing: i use mac computers.before committing to the v3 i went to apple.com to find the compatibility as far as exchanging phone lists and schedules and it all looked good. both phone and mac are bluetooth but THE BLUETOOTH DOESN'T WORK FROM MAC TO MOTO!!!. i still have to use a usb cable to exchange info. i believe that it's so for all moto/mac. seems the isync works but not the b.t.

big drag

anyway, happier than tmobile and the phone's great, i just wish the b.t. worked.

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Jackorythmn,

We don't want you to walk away as an unhappy BT guy. A guru friend of my has BT working with a Moto V551 and his Mac, and transfers MP3 files. I'll ask him about any tricks. It can be done, maybe google around for a hint in the meantime.

Even with a PC it took a little messing aroung with settings to get it to work smoothly.

thanks for the report that Cingular is working out ok for you in NYC and the Vicinity.

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Jackorythmn,

My friend said it was very easy on the Mac. Just set the mac to 'Discover' and it found the V551. He used the BT manager not the isync tools. The moto mounts as a hard disk on his Mac. He has not tried syncing calendars and such, just transfering files. He suggested to make sure your BT drivers are up to date.

Good luck...maybe someelse on these forums can help. viewfly

P.S. update

Go here, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=133137

Seems these blokes got it to work.

Look at edesignuk's post:

"Just got my black razor v3 (for FREE!!!) last week. Transfering over BT is simple. Enable BT discovery on the phone, and scan for new devices on the Mac. Pair them up. Then just browse the device from the BT menu in OS X."

#49 viewfly, Jul 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  20. jackorhythm

jackorhythm New Member

thanks for the adviced but it appears that the bt file exchange(i see no bt manager) only does files/fotos/audio. isync still seems necessarry for contacts and ical. the thread you linc'd to doesn't seem specific. i'll try posting there in a few days.

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Ok now I hear your problem. Seems like an Apple problem with its Isync software. Maybe hit them up for an answer since Apple's web page claims BT works with the Razr (and V551).

I found this geek page that fixed the isync2 for V551 (May-June). Seems that a .tiff file needs to be mod or created (ie add V551 to this file) for your phone or maybe a firmware upgrade to the v3 is needed because a Moto firmware change the ID label that Isync doesn't recongize. You can return the v3 within 30 days for that upgrade,but it seems changing the software does the trick. It seems that half the V551 worked depending on the firmware version.

http://www.macgeekery.com/hacks/software/moto_v551_and_hacking_isync

But Apple posted on July 11 an upgrade download to Isync 2.1 that supports newer phones (Moto). Maybe this does what the Geek page does talk about. The apple support page seems to address numerous issue on this too. Perhaps you tried all this.

Good luck and that's about all I know of Mac these days. Switched to PC long ago. My Mac friend says that BT updates come out every few weeks so it pays to stay on top of things (and for PC too). With my Nokia and PC, I couldn't get a calendar sync with my Palm PDA (cable/infrared or BT). It only worked with Outlook. Had to go to a 3rd party software ($20) to get that to work. Now I can calendar sync my Nokia/PC palm software with BT just fine.

#51 viewfly, Jul 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well I was in midtown today. Amazing that Cingular had 3 stores around the public library on 5th and 42th. But anyhow, my GSM coverage was max bars. Phone worked fine deep inside the library, in the basement of a nearby parking garage, and also inside the elevator. Anywhere around midtown and over to the Henry Hudson.

Cingular is doing fine in NYC.

23. jackorhythm

jackorhythm New Member

i agree-i'm very happy. and i understand that the bt problems with the razr and isync are solved with the new mac os(tiger).