Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon vs. Cingular - Functionality

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jfxf, Sep 15, 2005.

?

Cingular or Verizon - Which is best

Poll closed Oct 15, 2005.
  1. Cingular

25.0%
  2. Verizon

50.0%
  3. Both are fine

16.7%
  4. They All Suck

8.3%
  1. jfxf

jfxf Junior Member

My Phone:
    v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, was Cingular for too long
    I left Cingular 2 years ago because customer service was the pits.
    I have become very disenchanted with Verizon because the volume levels on the phones simply stink. The worst levels are between VZW customers.
    I have had 5 different VZW phones but the complaints of "I can't hear you now" always come from the people I speak to.

Do they all really suck?
    Is it worth going back to Cingular? I know it would be cheaper and that the phones are much more up to date and capable.

Whaddaya think?

2. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Had 'em both. Don't like either of them but I'm with the lesser of the two evils (Verizon) because of the coverage difference here in VA.

3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I prefer Cingular, and have never had a bad customer relations incident with them - in fact if I have to call CS they usually get it resolved right away. They also provide service in some rural areas I frequent that Verizon doesn't, so if I want a phone that works there I'm stuck w/ Cingular. I see you're in Philly - When I've travelled to Pa I've always been impressed with the coverage I get there, even when up in Wilkes-Barre, Reading, Brackney, and Dallas I've never found myself w/o coverage. Why not get a Cingular phone and try it out? I think they have a 30 day trial period where you can cancel w/o penalties.

Another thing to add - Do you have these phones in leather cases? My Sister dropped her Nokia in the toilet on accident and afterwards threw the "soiled" leather case away. She noticed that people weren't always asking her to speak up anymore. She thought initially it was because she got the crappy (no pun intended) free phone when she signed up. It turned out that the case was partially blocking the microphone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    By your spelling of Phila. seems like you should move out to the suburbs.
    I only go to town when I must. Anyway, I don't have any problems with volume on Verizon, now coverage in some areas is another issue.

I have used LG phones for years as well as other no volume problem.

Are you using a headset? Because I am constantly asking friends to PICK UP the hand set because of low volume coming from their head set mic.
    And thats on either carrier.

The other issue could be if you are experiencing the problem with a particular cell site.

So does it happen in or around the same area? If so let me know the location and I'LL pass it on to the network people rather than going through customer "disservice".

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jfxf

jfxf Junior Member

My Phone:
    v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes, definitely with the headset. It makes no difference if it is the moto bluetooth headset; moto fm radio headset; or vzw's plain old ear hugger. The headsets are virtually unusable at highway speeds.
    Since I have recently moved to NJ, the headset is required. So, you are damned if you do, damned if you dont.

I NEVER had any volume complaints (mine or on the other end) with Cingular, and I was with them and their predecessors for 10+ years before the last 2 with VZW.

As to the towers, VZW needs to add towers in Haddonfield. I can not use an all digital VZW phone in my home, but I do get excellent rf in tri-mode on the v710.

6. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Today a friend called me with his new Cingular Moto, with his Bluetooth headset. It was so low I asked him to try just picking up the phone , he did it got very much better. Some head sets stink. The guy with the Cingular got a flip phone with speaker and it worked well just with the speaker, he is returning the Bluetooth set. Same with my Verizon friends using headsets, especially when in the car with background issues.

7. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I agree. I bought a low end bluetooth headset for my Nokia. It's volume level was worse than a speakerphone on the dashboard. I also found the earbud/microphone on the string not too great: you see most people holding them to their mouths with the free hand...not quite handsfree.

The best type of headset I've found is a wired miniboom set. It actually places the microphone pretty close to the position that my phone mic would be.

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I really don't know why manufacturers prefer style over quality when designing headsets. I agree 100% that all headsets with hanging microphones are horrible. Doesn't matter brand name or how expensive they are, they all have the microphone hanging off too far from the mouth which is the prime culprit of bad sound quality when driving.

Nine out of ten times I find long boom mics that get as close as your mouth as possible transmit far better sound to the other end. An example is the Shure QuietSpot, which is quite possibly the best sounding product in the market of all time.

9. jfxf

jfxf Junior Member

My Phone:
    v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bobolito:
    I always value your opinion.
    Question #1 Have you ever used Verizon?
    Question #2 What is your favorite currently available Cingular phone?
    Thanks.

10. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I will agree about boom mikes. I also have a method of coping with the hanging microphone style also. (Only do this when you are alone!) Arrange the hanging cord over the ear opposite the earphone, such that the mike is on your chin, under the lower lip. Listeners report solid copy, with the hole up and the answer/hangup button down.

COtech

11. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    I found the LG phones too loud.
    My Motorola phones are at half volume and loud enough
    As for conversation between Verizon customers, the sound is better than my landline. BTW my hearing isn't that great.

12. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    I left for cingular when Verizon first became verizon in jersey.
    I left cingular because at the time they didn't have national plans as good as verizon. Cingular's c/s was great, but verizon's has stepped up to the plate in recent yrs in my opinion.

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    haha....great tip!...Now all I have to do to answer/hangup is stick my tongue out! :D

14. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint PCS, Nextel,
    If someone would have asked me this question 2 years ago i would have said Verizon hands down. But now i say Cingular. Cingular has improved so much! Not only with there coverage, but with how up to date therer tech. has surpassed Verizon. Verizon is just lacking big time. I know a ton of ppl who have changed from Verizon due to problems hearing ppl or ppl hearing them. An dthe robotic sound that you always here if you are talking to someone with a verizon phone. The voice quality that Cingular's GSM has by far surpasses Verizon's CDMA. Don't get me wrong, i think that Verizon is great if you need coverage in very rural areas(if you like analog). Cingular is catching up though! I fing areas all the time where Cingular now has better coverage/ reception than Verizon.

15. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Sadly, no carrier is perfect everywhere. In my state, people are flocking from Cingular to Verizon because of voice quality issues/ busy signals/ dropped calls, etc. etc. It all depends on your location and travel patterns.
    http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/showthread.php?t=11181

16. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    and perhaps the origins of the company as it merged so many times even before the latest. All Cingulars are not equal.

17. NJ_Pubcrawler

NJ_Pubcrawler Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I am surprised to hear that you are experiencing low volume levels when making VZW to VZW calls. I have had 5 phones with VZW over the years (an old brick handheld, Motorola MicroTac Ultralite, StarTac 7760, TimePort 8767 and now an LG VX7000) and I have consistantly had to turn DOWN the earpiece volume on my phone when I do a cell to cell call since they come through so loud and clear that it almost damages my hearing.

18. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    On my StarTac & V60 I used to use these small earbuds that had a speaker & microphone integrated, and the unit clipped to my belt by the phone. (You have to have the phone on vibrate to do this) When the phone vibrates, just reel out the cord and hit the smart key on the side of the phone to answer. When done push the button, and the cord was sucked back in like a vacuum cleaner. I liked that style a lot as it allowed me to use a headset, but I didn't have cords dangling in my face when I wasn't using it. People also reported that sound quality was better when using that headset than using the handset.

19. reg

reg New Member

I'm an old AT&T customer who just went to Verizon.
    I'd say Cingular has horrific customer 'service' --

I was ready for a new phone, but the only current Cingular phone I wanted was the well-regarded Nokia 6230, but as it's near the end of its life cycle, I could only get it from a 3rd party vendor (letsTalk).

I asked Cingular support whether, if I bought the phone (thus renewing for another two years), I could port my existing number. They said 'maybe'.

Hmmm. Wrong answer. I guess they really didn't want my $800+/year.

Went to the Verizon store by my office. Fifteen minutes later I had a cheaper plan that gave me the North America access I wanted, *and* my phone number, on a generally well-regarded phone, the LG VX4650.

I can't help but think that Cingular, when they bought AT&T Wireless, really didn't want the existing customer base. I'm still marvelling at the inefficacy of their customer service.

All that said, let's see how reception is when I get home -- but Cingular was bad, and degrading.

- rg

20. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    One thing worth mentioning :....
    Keep in mind that people "subconsciously" get used to how their current carrier's technology works, (CDMA, IDEN, GSM), & the subtle differences percieved by moving to another carrier is really more likley to "bother" them.
    For example , moving from CDMA to GSM or Vice-versa, one will notice that the small in-call "glitches" common to both companies' calls, sound slightly "different". You might be very used to how 1 system's minute dropouts or glitches sounded, & they become "regular" & less noticable, but the "different" way on the new carrier is suddenly more noticeable.....
    GSM to CDMA movers often aren't used to how the small minute "dropouts" effect the call quality, & it may bother them, even though it's probably just "different" to what they are used to, not really better or worse ....
    CDMA to GSM movers also find the same , & complain more about clicks, ticks & pops, probably due to the hard handoffs ... ect ...
    Put any random 5 year user of system "1", & swap his fone to the "other" system, & chances are he will notice & complain more about the "new" fone/system.....
    Bottom line, both systems handle calls well, & I've found that the fone model usually has at least as much, if not more to do with percieved "sound quality" than the system tech itself...

21. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The ongoing battle between CDMA and GSM makes me laugh. Having both myself, I really don't notice much of a difference. There are little nuances that separate the two, but for the most part, they very similar.

Now when it comes to some phone features, GSM has a slight edge, but nothing out of the park. I do like the use of SIM cards for GSM, though. It would be nice to move a SIM (or R-UIM) card between CDMA phones, but it isn't something I would get rid of CDMA for. As long as my phones work and get decent service, I'm ok. :)

22. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    Cingular, I like GSM, what can I say.

23. Lena

Lena Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Soho
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Before we had a service plan, we had prepay, and I would follow a lot of forums that discussed the best and cheapest prepay services around. Many would ask for advice on which prepay was the best, and the answer always was .. the one that works best 'where you live' (or where you use the phone the most). Then the cost per minute was a consideration, and way down the list was customer service, because usually with prepay one only had to deal with customer service when setting up the phone and after that, it was just a matter of buying more airtime. One of the best deals out there at the time (CallPlus) had the worst customer service, but once one got past the knuckleheads in the cs department, service was good (until TDMA began to deteriorate).

In my neck of the woods (Washington, DC and Maryland), from all the comments I could find and personal experiences I found, Verizon has the edge over Cingular for coverage. But that is not the sole reason for taking a similar plan without rollover minutes from VZW; most others that I call frequently have Verizon Wireless, and I can substantially reduce the number of prime time minutes I use with m-m calling. For me, coverage, and avoiding additional fees for overages is more important that customer service.

Three months into our family plan, and I have yet to contact Verizon customer service for any problems. I've heard and read many positive and negative comments on both Cingular and Verizon's CS, but it has very little bearing on what service I consider best.

Verizon is my choice.:)

Lena