Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Turning On 1900Mhz in NNJ/NYC!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by MeatChicken, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile

I would think that any carrier, be it at 800 or 1900, would have to have close towers spacing because of the buildings and because of the high "traffic" volumes.

2. adamj023

adamj023 Member

SID is not 22 for 1900 in NYC where I am. It is SID 5288. So therefore a new PRL will be needed, right? 800 gives you SID 22.

I didnt notice the SID for the 1900 band before so Im not sure if they changed it from 22 to 5288 or if it was always 5288.

3. adamj023

adamj023 Member

Isnt the high traffic volumes due to limitations solely of spectrum and incoming line whether it be a t1 or whatnot?

Like lets say you have a license for 10mhz of spectrum and you have 2 towers, dont the towers use the same 10mhz spectrum so the distance would not matter for capacity? Or am I missing something here?

4. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't know who is missing something here, lol :biggrin:
    I thought that one of the reasons there are a lot of towers in high traffic areas is that more towers=more capacity, of course T1's, etc. play a role too, but the more towers the more capacity, unless there's no more spectrum available or something like that...I don't know, lol, maybe someone can explain?

5. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    ANDY 8409:
    Yes, while there are many variables, adding a cell to an existing area will increase capacity, & is usually the reason for adding a cell in an area already covered with adequate sig strength. This is why in some select areas VZW already has cell spacing as good or better than the 1900-only carriers in the same select locations.

ADAMJ:
    I have not heard about a system id 5288 for VZW in NY/NJ. Next time I see my VZW contact I will ask about this. There are a few possibilities that come to mind:
    1) It is some sort of "test" id that currently allows VZW techs to program phones for the PCS system & not "see" any other channels, as would be the case w/ 0022. This would allow testing of 1900Mhz as if it were the only system in the area.
    2) It could be a sys ID for EV-Do only.
    3) It could be some remnant ID from Northcoast, & it will be changed.
    4) VZW may actually use a new system id for 1900Mhz in NY/NJ.
    This brings up some interesting possibilities.
    System 22 (current 800) could still message the phone to use or switch to these channels, without 5288 in the PRL. The PRL is only used when scanning to aquire a system, not during handoffs or in-call, but if they do use 5288 I'm sure it would eventually be added to the PRL.
    With a seperate sys ID, they could, for example, have roamers such as Sprint, Alltel & US cellular modify "Their" PRL's to remove 22 in favor of 5288. This would put all non home users initially on 1900, & then the system could move them from there only if needed. Also Pre-Pay customers could go "straight" to 1900. While this could all be accomplished with 1 sys ID, & the "system" moving idle users, perhaps there is some sort of advantage to VZW, to allow groups of phones themselves to PRL their way straight to the new spectrum, without needing to send control messages to these groups.
    They may also simply use a new sys ID & not add it to the PRL, thinking ahead, reserving the new ID for some future "flexibility" or use that we, (& they), are not yet aware of or ready to impliment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. adamj023

adamj023 Member

I fergot to point out that the spectrum does not go into 1X. On my Samsung A670 it goes into D mode rather than 1X. Is it possible that Northcoast/Nextwave had 2G equipment installed and Verizon had acquired all the towers along with the equipment or would EVDO show up as D mode?

7. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    If all the phones that find a PCS channel are currently being bumped to 800Mhz, it may be possible that the phone isn't on PCS long enogh to get a 1x "message" that turns on the 1x icon, before the bump down to 800. The 1x icon may only come on when the phone is in full sync w/the system on it's assigned channel.
    I am hearing that a new PRL will be out as early as tomorrow, no later than Monday. If this is the case, I am curious to see if there is a new sys ID in the NY/NJ group.
    There are also posts on other boards that VZW is "officially" adding most of the extended area partners to the Free unlimited in-network mins, within the next week or so.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

All right, thanks...That's what I thought and that's what makes sense. In my area, VZW tower spacing is very close, in general, most likely cause there a tons of users in my area.

9. adamj023

adamj023 Member

Wow, that would be an early release PRL that is unusual for them. Last PRL Was 8/2/04 and they usually do a few months apart.