Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon to Cingular

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by InjunJim, Feb 18, 2005.

1. InjunJim

InjunJim Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If I were to switch from Verizon to Cingular, which phones would people recommend for RF strength, call clarity and battery life? Also, how does GSM service compare to CDMA? Thanks for any help. :D

2. Cingular GSM User

Hi, Welcome to WA!

I would personally use a Nokia phone for Cingular. Either the 3595 or the 3200 Camera-Phone. But it all depends on what features you want.

Now GSM vs. CDMA is a VERY touchy subject... so I will try not to bash one or the other. Here I go:

The voice quality on GSM is better than CDMA, yet CDMA is faster with data than GSM is.

With CDMA you can roam on Analog (if your phone supports Analog), where as with GSM you are stuck on GSM.

I would say CDMA rate plans don't offer as many minutes as GSM plans do. Cingular does have ROLLOVER which is nice and Nationwide while at home or on roam use unlimited mobile-to-mobile and night and weekends. Verizon you can only use your mobile-to-mobile and night and weekends while on the Verizon Network (or while "IN"). Although there is a rumor that Verizon will startup Rollover in the next few months/years.

Coverage wise (as land area goes) CDMA (with out Analog) and GSM about equal. If you have Analog with CDMA then the whole nation is covered practically. And GSM is just GSM so their are some gaps in coverage.

I would say from personal expeience:

Verizon/CDMA is best (out of the areas they service) in the southern Northeast (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Mass., Rhode Island), Interior West, Mid-West and Alaska

Cingular/GSM is best (out of the areas they service) in northern Northeast (Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine) Southwest, Southeast, Great Lakes Region and the Pacific Northwest

But yea its about equal... remember NO CARRIER IS THE BEST

If you go with Cingular Wireless you can get a Nokia 6340i (GAIT Phone) and roam on GSM, TDMA and Analog. If you want more info on GAIT just post a question and i'll try to answer it to the best of my ability.

Hope this helps, Cingular GSM User

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. InjunJim

InjunJim Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks a lot for the advice! It's nice to get an unbiased opinion, especially about where which type of service is best. Really appreciate it. :thumb:

4. jayatmtu

jayatmtu Junior Member

I just switched from Verizon to Cingular because I was fed up with their bluetooth situation. I use the Motorola V551 and have found it to be an excellent phone. The Nokia's are also very good phones I have heard.

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have both Cingular and Verizon and I can not do without either. Cingular has the best coverage from my home and work place and yet there are areas in the WI and IA that I travel to that has no GSM coverage at all but reasonably good Verizon coverage.

If you are fortunate enough to have equally good coverage with both then it would depend on all the other factors already mentioned.

As far as RF goes I have the Nokia 6230 and it has by far the best RF that I have seen.

HTH

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That's just your opinion.

Don't the technical properties of CDMA make voice quality more resistant to interference and noise?

7. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    It is definitely the other way around

8. Cingular GSM User

Hey, hey now... that is just my opinion. And the one you posted is your opinion, and I respect peoples opinions. So I am not going to bash anyone if that is what ya'll are thinkin'.

9. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The V551 has excellent Rf as do most if not all Nokia's.

10. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Both, CDMA and GSM, have great voice quality. It just depends on how well each network is built out. Also, Verizon does include Unlimited IN and Nights and Weekends anywhere on the America's Choice Network, you are not limited to the Verizon network for that.

11. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    My cousine and her husband have Cingular and she is the one who told me that when she talks to me the sound is much better than when she talks to her husband.

12. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    If you venture into VT/NH/ME, CDMA is far superior to GSM.

GSM is brand new to most of northern New England and is experiencing growing pains right now.

13. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Just to clarify
    I think it is safe to say that it depends on call capacity and mobile switching. A GSM network may sound better than an overloaded CDMA network.
    Since CDMA was designed to be backwords compatible with analog there are tri-mode phone still hanging around for at least another year. GSM only few

(CDMA)1XRTT is Faster than GPRS, but not EDGE. EV-DO is a little faster than W-CDMA without HSDPA.

The provider offers more or less minutes it really does not depend that much on CDMA or GSM.
    US Cellular offers 1500 anytime for $49.95 they are a CDMA provider.

Verizon/CDMA is not in Alaska they do roam for free on Alaska Digitel and Sprint

Cingular/GSM in the Pacific Northwest is getting better, but CDMA is still tons better for coverage.

NO CARRIER IS THE BEST IN ALL PARTS OF THE US.
    This is probably true for most large metros. No provider has a the strongest signal in all parts of a metro.

I am sure someone can clarify better than I can.
    But I hope this helps out :)

14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There are far too many variables going into what makes a person's voice sound better. I have used lots of phones...lots of them...and I do think GSM has superior voice quality in the sense that I think the voices sound more natural on GSM. On the other hand, I find there is much more "noise" in a GSM conversaion, so it's possible for it to get so bad as to degrade call quality. With all that in mind, I believe a very good CDMA phone (Toshiba 4050 for example) can have better voice quality than an average GSM phone (my Samsung c225). Internal phone components and software settings make a difference. Network buildout/capacity matters too, as already menioned by others here.

And Cingular no longer offers GAIT plans...haven' for months, so do not expect to be able to get GSM, TDMA, and analog from Cingular. Not gonna happen.

Also, if you are considring switching, I would sign up for Cingular service but do not port your Verizon number or cancel your Verizon service. Test Cingular for their 30 day trial and see if they work for you. If so, then you can go ahead and port your Verizon number (if that's something you plan on doing) or cancel your VZW service.

15. lets4567

lets4567 Junior Member

My Phone:
    V265
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (personal),Cingular (work)
    I have both Verizon and Cingular and from my traveling, I am glad I have Verizon as my personal phone. I find the "soft handoff" with Verizon a must. I can talk for 45 minutes and never get cut off.(while traveling down a major highway). With Cingular I can not say the same is so. I may go 5-10 minutes before dropping the call.
    Now overall (coverage wise) from the midwest to the east seems very competative and both Verizon and Cingular have good coverage.
    With GSM you do get MUCH better talk and standby times.
    But I feel CDMA (for the most part,area dependant) has better voice clarity and is more natural sounding. This also depends on the handset as well. I have heard some really lousy sounding conversations on certain GSM and CDMA phones.

Overall in buildings and traveling I'd have to give the "nod" to Verizon.
    To tell you how I really feel, when I am traveling on business, I do not get reimbursed for using my personal (Verizon) phone, but I'll use it anyway because of call clarity and prolonged conversations without getting cut-off.

16. Cingular GSM User

Well that is JUST your opinion.

In my opinion Cingular has the best coverage in the southeast, great lakes region, southwest and pacific northwest.

But Verizon wins in the northeast, midwest and interior west.

I like GSM because (IMO) it has better call quality over CDMA; but CDMA is faster on data than GSM.

Its what ever works for you. NO CARRIER IS THE BEST

17. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Being region-specific is actually rather generic and useless. VZW is the best across TN.

GSM has better talk times b/c it uses less power for sending data. At this point, I refer you to the recent Steak & Shake commercial about "making shakes efficiently".

18. Cingular GSM User

Well I know in Virginia and Florida Cingular is much better than Verizon. IMO

19. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    OK, OK...enough on the "my carrier is best" talk. It will just turn into flame wars.

My opinion is that it is worthless, in most instances, to even say one carrier is better on a state-wide level. A carrier that is great in one city can be just average in another.

20. Cingular GSM User

I am saying this as it is best for my services and need and the areas which I guy. I know that no carrier is the best.

21. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Be careful what you say about Virginia, since Cingular still only offers their service in northern VA outside DC, and in SW VA, until later this month. If you used Cingular elsewhere in VA, you were roaming.

22. lets4567

lets4567 Junior Member

My Phone:
    V265
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (personal),Cingular (work)
    Sorry about the "flame". I guess we can all agree on one thing, is competition breeds better pricing, coverage and plans for the consumer!!! Go Cingular,T-mob,Nextel,etc!
    We need competition. Let the carriers fight it out, then we'll reap the benefits of more choices!!!

23. Cingular GSM User

Yea,

anyone have any informaiton on T-Mobile's PTT rollout plan in the United States (if they even have any)... I hope they do

24. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No plans for PTT in the US last I heard, but they release 2004 results tomorrow so I may get more info then.

25. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

This Kind of Argument would be Minimize if
    All Carriers would Open Up a Street Level Coverage Map,
    Like what T-Mobile Did.
    Because then people can Decide for Themselves.
    If VZW has not Dead spots then Let us see it,
    if they are just OVERATED The truth will Come out.