Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon to buy Alltel for $28.1 Billion

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Shockwave13, Jun 4, 2008.

1. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I agree, in places with AT&T 1900, where they have a well built network, they don't need 850.
    Especially in my area, there are way too many AT&T towers, and they already cover my area well.

I think in my area, if Alltel spectrum is divested, then it sould goto US Cellular,
    which is already licensed (850) in adjacent areas to my area,
    like Eastern & Western NC, Pee Dee, SC (NW of Florence, SE of Charlotte).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. eds222

eds222 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Lg Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thats right along the line of what I was thinking as it applies to my region.
    ATT owns 1900Mhz here, but have underserved the area. Why would they want 850Mhz? They would be paying twice for the same thing, in their minds at least. At present, they pay Alltel for gsm roaming in some areas locally. I don't think they care who they pay (Alltel, Vzw, or likely suitor).
    I'm located in between L.A.,CA. and Reno, NV. (very rural). Sprint owns network in adjacent areas (SoCal, Northern Nevada). I guess it just seems logical ( not that it necessarily matters) that Sprint would buy in.

3. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    850 will cover a much larger area per tower. i forget how much larger area wise (you can find the info with a quick google search) but If memory serves, i believe it will cover an area about 10times larger than 1900mhz.

Now, one thing you must remember is that when divestment is done no one is required to buy all licenses. so dont be suprised if you live in the sticks and ATT still doesnt buy 850 or use it in that area. unless there is a demand it is unlikely to happen.

4. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    just did both

5. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    I still can't believe AllTel was just starting to become a pretty large service provider, then hear comes Verizon:speechles

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    ya, shame hu

7. ndtoddman

ndtoddman Member

My Phone:
    Many
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Jim Cramer thinks someone else might be interested in the divested markets. Hmmm...maybe Alltel isn't gone yet?

MSNBC - Video Front Page

8. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Is there a transcript or can someone paraphrase? I can't do the video thing.

9. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Wow, it's talk television. He punching in his own A/V effects, to go with his talking points! Much too kinetic to be Jerry Todd of SCTV.

COtech

10. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I wished I hadn't bothered to watch that video now that I'm home. Basically he thinks the Rural LEC Windstream (former Alltel wireline) will buy the divested assets of Verizon because they already have a presence in all the same markets.

Why would a company buy back the assets it spun off and sold just a couple years ago?

The only useful thing he pointed out is that the FCC is unlikely to be approving much divestiture to AT&T because it doesn't create competition--it just feeds another behemoth.

11. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This maybe true, why didnt they put forth any effort to get more spectrum??

12. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I agree with all of the above, especially the bolded red and the underlined.
    This is why I think US Cellular may get Alltel's spectrum in overlap areas.

13. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I'm hoping for T-Mobile to make some offers for a number of reasons:
    * They bought SunCom
    * Stated publicly that they are not against acquisitions, despite focusing on organic growth
    * Need spectrum for 3G, 1700 AWS is not moving very fast
    * They're reaching "critical mass" at 30million and organic growth will be more limited
    * Recent talk about DT acquiring Sprint was not imaginary, obviously there was some consideration going on
    Of all the "other" carriers, I don't see any others making a play to be a "big 3". Sprint and T-Mobile are close, but Sprint needs a year or two of recovery before making a play for the top.

US Cellular will probably accept any cheap offers for adjacent territory, but I don't see them focusing on growth.

14. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's

that would be a valid point if it werent for that fact that if the FCC approves this buy that it will be doing the same damn thing!

15. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I'm lost. A while back, Alltel steals my service off Cingular/AT&T which gets me terminated for EON, back when Alltel put up a closer tower. Shortly thereafter, I heard about Alltel getting attracted by Varizon, so what is this all about?

I'd guess that "Verizon" is different from "VerizonWireless"?:loony:

16. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    [The link you gave is about Alltel selling VZW a few licenses. A small transaction compared to the impending acquisition.

17. troysup

troysup New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 750WX
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I moved to an area of my larger metro city that has great Alltel service and poor Verizon service.

I presently have Verizon. Hopefully when this venture goes through, Verizon will use the antenna system set up by Alltel so that I can finally get service.

My question to you all is, "should I switch to Alltel now for the better service and just wait to have Verizon pick me up again?" This is kind of funny since I left Alltel to go to Verizon.

Troy

18. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well, it depends. If you live in an area that will get divested, you will end up with the carrier that takes you over, like US Cellular or AT&T for example, so it will do you no good.

However, if they do not divest your area, it is possible that Verizon will remove redundant Alltel towers or Verizon towers and keep the ones they see as better. So it could be possible that you loose that close Alltel tower and end up working off the faraway Verizon tower. I know in places near where I live, Verizon and Alltel are the two cellular carriers and they weren't on the "list" to be divested so I would imagine Verizon would go through and remove all the Alltel towers and panels that are near theirs or on theirs.