Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon to buy Alltel for $28.1 Billion

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Shockwave13, Jun 4, 2008.

1. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Re: Verizon to Buy Alltel After All

But I'm also sure that Verizon's lawyers will be looking over it very closely looking for any possible loophole out to raise rates. I can see them stating the reasons now, bandwidth approaching capacity, increases in prices, copper prices went up, USF funding increased, USF funding decreased, alltel signed a 'reciprocal roaming agreement' but Sprint users roam much more on us than us on them creating a burden on our network, etc etc etc.

2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's

you are all hitting on the right thing. even if it happens, ATT will probably benefit. which will balance back out things. not to mention there is a few places it would probably give them the advantage depending on the areas that things are divested.

3. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA

Verizon's CEO told reporters today that they had considered buying Alltel not once, not twice, but three times. They just didn't feel they'd reap the synergies or the best price for it during previous considerations and were hoping that with time it would become a more attractive asset.

This time, their patience paid off big time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I guess that makes sense, but Verizon would still pay $0.7 billion more
    than the private investment firms did for Alltel.

I guess they just didn't want a bidding war,
    but then again, it's just AT&T with the kind of money Verizon's got, and their networks are not compatible.
    So IMO, Verizon would've probably been the only bidder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cowboytn

cowboytn New Member

when do you think it will be final and will alltel name change to verizon wireless

6. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Both AT&T and Verizon will reap some benefits of the sale. Verizon will trade or sell off some overlap areas mostly likely to AT&T because they can kick in the cash.

AT&T could definately benefit from using the Western Wireless GSM (once overhauled) Network.

Verizon gets 850 overlap in some of their 1900 areas.

Verizon just build over 100 new sites (1900) in my area and a majority of them are on the same towers as Alltel and some inbetween, so they will have pretty smoking coverage once the smoke clears, plus have 1900 and 850 they will have enuff spectrum to run REV B.

Verizon did talk with Alltel while they were shopping the first time. The Verizon Techs up here said thats part of the reason they buillt the network because they didnt pick up Alltel the first time (Verizon was too cheap). But that just rumors Ive heard.

Alltel customers will be just like AT&T Wirless and Dobson and have to limp their phones around for years to come if they want to keep the cheaper rate plans. At least its easier on GSM. I could see Verizon making all kinds of excuse not to change an ESN, but the real one would be ARPU.

7. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well if/when the FCC gives the approval I would say by years end. Does anyone know when this will be reviewed by the FCC?

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I feel the same way. This will plunge smaller carriers even more than what previous mergers have. I hope the FCC scrutinizes deeply on this transaction and listens to the upcoming wave of comments against this merger that will be posted on the FCC website. Just seeing "MyCircle" go away is sad enough. That will be a great incentive for T-Mobile do away with My Faves and Sprint remove their Pick-3. Bottomline, less competition, less options, higher prices. Although this will benefit Verizon in some areas of the country, like Florida and in the west.

Well, the first step is now for both Verizon and Alltel to submit their applications to the FCC which will probably happen in the next few days, then the FCC has a timetable of 180 days to reach a decision. The DOJ and the FTC will also have to review it separately and will provide their input to the FCC. Once all three have reviewed the transaction, they make a recommendation on whether this merger is in the best interest of the public. Usually, this happens around the end of the 180-day timetable. If it is approved, it will usually come with certain conditions to please the demands of those opposed to the merger, such as agreements to keep roaming rates unchanged, or to divest certain areas. Only after the merger is approved then Verizon and Alltel can close the transaction (execute the merger) and then Verizon and Alltel can proceed merging their operations which will take months/years after that.

9. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I would love to see at&t get a hunk of the 850 mhz in South Carolina

:D :D

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I have read more than a few reports stating that Sprint has already done away with Pick 3 as of about 2 weeks ago. There are reports that the codes necessary to add the feature have been removed from Sprint's system.

T-Mobile pioneered the idea with My Faves, so I am not certain they would do away with it. They were the only carrier offering it for a while, and it could continue to be a point of differentiation with them, similar to Rollover with at&t.

11. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    Did they really buy attel? Because every thing i read or anybody i ask just said's "Verizon is just really looking in to buying attel wireless, but they have not done so yet." Is this true?:confused:

12. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    All they have done is reach an agreement with Alltel. Nothing will be official until at least 6 months from now pending review by the government.

13. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    Thanks Larry, sorry but there is no thanks button in this thread:D

14. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Maybe I'm overreaching here, maybe USCellular may step up and buy some properties that are adjacent to their markets, like the Carolinas... Time will tell I suppose.

15. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    thanks i'll call monday

16. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):

This is the one thing I hope doesn't happen.

Besides the AT&T 1900 license covers the whole state and is built out well enough.

All of South Carolina (Except for the Myrtle Beach area) has both 800 mhz bands as CDMA.
    SunCom/T-Mobile has the 800 license near Myrtle Beach.
    Alltel's 800 is the entire state of SC, Verizon is almost the same except 1900 only near Myrtle Beach,
    and no Verizon in parts of the SE piedmont, like Chesterfield, Cheraw, USCC is there instead.

I hope we all get to keep our PRLs as well, or I'm never gonna dial *228 again.

17. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    In this area, where Verizon is purchasing Unicel, we are all being stripped of the Unicel perks and being placed on Verizon plans, which in turn cost much more $$$!! It has not been pleasant. I don't see Verizon doing anything they don't have to do, such as honoring MyCircle or 7pm N&W. They aren't in the Unicel buyout/takeover, so it doesn't seem likely they would on another. In fact, they are going to shut off the Unicel handsets and force a Verizon crippled handset on the customers. When I asking reps how Verizon can make a plan that is comparable to the Unicel plan they are taking away, the reps state that Verizon is the best, and I have to go with their terms and pay the $$$ if I want more minutes to cover the early N&W and unlimited incoming, etc. It is rediculous. No wonder they can buy so many companies, the customers are paying a lot for their plans. How upsetting this may be.

18. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    i'm in my second month of a 2 yr.contract with alltel. all i have to
    say is if this thing goes though verizion WILL honor my complete
    contract if they want to get paid, or i'll just port my number out.

19. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.

Attached Files:

20. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Let us know what happens, I might try calling too.
    Anyone else wanna give the FCC a call?

21. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually, it was Alltel who pioneered this idea. T-Mobile came out with MyFaves about a year later.

22. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ah you got to this before I did. Thanks for clearing this up BOB.

23. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If anyone wants a brochure explaining alot of what they want to do here it is:

Attached Files:

24. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    True, but I was referring to doing so on a national level...they were first to follow Alltel's lead on a national level. And I think it would continue to be a good selling point, even if no other carrier is doing it.

AT&T really has no need to continue with rollover since no one else has matched it, yet they have kept it to differentiate themselves from the competition. I could see T-Mobile following this lead.

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Verizon as the number one carrier could be bad simply because we can see how power and money hungry they are........im sorry.......there will be better coverage and possibly more services but itll be because MORE people are paying MORE money.......i think this is all wrong.......it kills competition.......had all the carriers in the United States been GSM then i would be all gung ho for this but i think this is more a move to kill Sprint Nextel rather than make Verizon better........anticompetition

ive had very good experiences with Verizons CS.......not a single bad one

im a pretty diehard Sprint fan at this point and i totally agree with you

26. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    its a natural cycle for business' to grow into each other in our communications industry. the only people that can stop it from happening is the FCC.

IMO even if it does get approved, expect a huge delay and alot of debt to Verizon on doing this as well as feeding ATT and other competitors 850 and 1900 licenses and assets. not to mention this will hurt their Churn and ARPU. they may take back the most customers roll but i think ATT will slip into being the most financially sound.

27. cowboytn

cowboytn New Member

will it just be a merger of 2 seperate companies like sprint/nextel for example verizon/alltel
    or will the actual alltel name be changed over to part of verizon wireless ?
    do you think think this will be done by the end of the year?
    and also i wounder what sprint thinks about this while it still looks like they are sadly losing the game.

28. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Alltel is getting swallowed. Verizon won't even burp when they do it. The company will be Verizon Wireless.

29. ctk74

ctk74 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah. I will be calling on Monday to tell them I support the deal. I look forward to being able to subscribe to a true nationwide cellular plan, not a hodgepodge of roaming agreements.

30. NokiaKrazy

NokiaKrazy 2010. I'm still around

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If you are not satified with a "hodgepodge of roaming agreements", why don't you go subscribe with Verizon today?

This deal is bad, I feel that competition will be less. This will drive prices higher.