Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Verizon - South Georgia

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by vernman15, Jun 30, 2008.

1. vernman15

vernman15 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Is Verizon getting ready to turn on their PCS network in South GA? I've seen trucks driving around (waycross) that say Verizon Wireless coming soon. I've also seen a store going up... Anyone know when it will it go live if it already hasn't...?

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    On their coverage maps, they already have this area shown as native... I saw a press release on their site stating that EVDO has been launched in most of the area. I surprised that the coverage hasn't been turned on!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    I thought thats the area where Verizon wireless first started like back in 96? I guess not:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No, Verizon has never been in that part of Georgia... They've been in northern Georgia for the longest time. They got into Macon, Columbus, Savannah and Albany around the year 2000, I think. They never had a license for Valdosta until last year.

5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
  6. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    att has a pretty strong presence down there and alltel as well i believe. verizon has a tough road ahead of them IMO espically PCS only in the boondocks.

7. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Is building a new PCS network in Southeast GA
    When VZW takes over Alltel, they already have a cellular network there :rolleyes:

8. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    they must have been working on this for quiet awhile. generally plans to build out networks are on a 1-3 year time table.

i would guess that they planned to launch a network on the existing towers, and then add more later...but because there is a pending merger, any continuous build out will probably be put on hold until they figure out exactly what the heck is going on.

still seems like a waste..

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    LOL Verizon has been roaming on AllTel for ages and they wanted to reduce the roaming now. The merger hasn't taken place yet, so who knows what will happen? And then, they have to decide what to keep. If the merger gets ok'd, they could use the 1900 for data only, which is what's done in Atlanta. All may not be wasted LOL

They have had a license in this area for a while now, so it was only a matter of time before it got built out.

10. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    it will be fun to see what happens to all the alltel roaming in the SE that att uses.

i figure either it all gets thrown to Att the biggest user of it or either Att builds up well enough to cut ties and bail on those agreements.

11. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Don't forget about the agreements with Unicel as well. The Government has to process the Unicel merger before the AllTel one ;)

12. vernman15

vernman15 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Does anyone know who VZW got the PCS band from in South GA? I also think it will be a huge waste of money when/if Verizon does buy out Alltel.

13. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Most of the network they are building the airwaves were from Primeco (they got it from the 1st PCS Auction in 1995).
    I think Sprint has given them some airwaves as well.
    I don't think Price Communications Corp. had any PCS licenses, I think they were all Cellular.

14. SoGaUser

SoGaUser Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG EnV touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I believe Verizon got into south Georgia by buying out what was then CellularOne. That is when I first signed up for Verizon. I didn't know about the Verizon build-out. I know when I leave Jesup and head either north on 341 or southwest on 84 I always have roamed on Alltel for most of that travel except in Douglas or Hazelhurst.

15. SoGaUser

SoGaUser Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG EnV touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  16. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    if its PCS only, in that part of GA i dont care how much they invest, it will not be worth it. not to mention ATT and alltel are already setup as good as it gets...

17. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    does anyone know who has service in Harris City,GA? its sort of between Greenville and Manchester? ive heard att may add in Woodbury but depending on where the tower goes i can see that being iffy on helping that area.

is it alltel or verizon that offers service there?

18. SoGaUser

SoGaUser Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG EnV touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Well I have to amend my previous post. I drove from Baxley, GA to Jacksonville, FL via US-1. And whereas Baxley is still Extended Coverage off of ALLTEL I was surprised to notice picking up native Verizon in Alma GA. I maintained Verizon thru my trip including Waycross, GA. Going home via US-1/US-301 all Verizon. I had to smile when I saw an Alltel tower that went up 2 years ago now with a second antenna unit on it. Looking at my phone's Verizon signal I knew it must be a Verizon antenna. I saw several cases of Alltel towers now supporting a second antenna unit- Verizon. I'm sure they planned this expansion way before the buyout.:hmm:

19. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have to agree as well... They've been roaming in these areas for eons! In the Florida panhandle, Verizon has been on a building spree as well... The i-10 gap in the panhandle has shrunk dramatically... I think that its just one county that's still extended network only but Verizon has sites on the coast of that county. And to top it all off, all Verizon sites are ALL EVDO rev A in Florida!!!

I see that on the maps that Thomasville has EVDO... Its about time. It was weird that Valdosta was launched with EVDO rev A and Thomasville was still stuck on 1x. I wonder how long will it take for rev A to be added to all of the Georgia sites!

20. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It is probably both of them in that area... Your att phone should pick up on the AllTel GSM towers up there... Hopefully, att will start their 1900 buildout and not sit on their hands while the Verizon AllTel buyout goes on.

21. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    att is out there with 850, but its pretty much minimum rural coverage.

seems like att has 850 in almost all of GA except for where i live...

22. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    LOL... Yep... 1900 only areas for att are Columbus, Albany, Augusta, and the coast, plus some islands and strips- not such a small area ;) Although Verizon's is a lot more glaring... That big hole where AllTel and Att have 850 licenses. I don't care what's used as long as the service works for me. It would have been a little different for you Eric if PSC Wireless sold to Cingular instead of AllTel.

23. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's