Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Single Rate NATIONAL

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

A Verizon rep told me yesterday that Verizon is going to offer the Single Rate National with unlimited nights / weekends with its current anytime minutes this summer because of so many problems with the America's Choice Plan.

MIKE

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I guess someone screwed up...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

HEY MIKE...WHERE DID YOU HEAR THIS FROM? THEIR WEBSITE DON'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT THIS...ONLY THEIR CRAPPY AMERICA'S CHOICE PLAN.

4. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Anonymous,
    It's probably not on their web site yet as it hasn't been officially announced. I knew some people were having problems with AC but I didn't know it was that widespread. In any case, this can only be a good thing for the consumer and Verizon. Of the people I know who have Cingular, the only reason they opted to get cingular was the truly roaming free nature of some of their plans. They've also been disappointed with the service so Verizon could easily pickup new business and some Cingular converts with such a plan.

5. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    I think it's competition from Cingular Nation much, much more than "problems" with AC (which appear to be mainly billing problems on Verizon's end, and technical problems specifically with Sprint PCS, such as caller ID/SMS/Mobile Web not working, customers being unable to roam, etc.)

I'm on SRN + Canada and still have the 3.5k weekend minutes from the very last promo... [​IMG]

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Roamer - they at one time did offer weekend minutes? And you can roam anywhere in all 50 states right? I wish they would offer that again....particuarly nights too.

7. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Stanley, you lucky sap... I would KILL to have some night/weekend minutes with the Single Rate national plan on Verizon... With a plan like that, they'd kick the pants off Cingular and pretty much any other provider out there by far. [​IMG]

8. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing the Single Rate National Promotions kick off soon...hopefully sooner than later.... I can't stand the AC Plan. I live in NYC and some places, I get the steady roaming indicator with the most up to date PRL. Why did Sprint pull out of the Extended Network market here in NYC?

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Here it goes to those who say that "you would be hard-pressed" to find a roaming area in NYC for Verizon AC.

10. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

I live on Staten Island here in NYC and in some areas, I get roaming (particular Bay Terrace and South Beach). No more extended network in NYC.

11. dchui

dchui New Member

Most people living/working in NYC would be hard-pressed to ever find themselves in that part of Staten Island. [​IMG] Seriously, I am very surprised. I hiked part of the Staten Island Greenbelt about a month ago and I got a very strong (non-roaming) signal, including during the drive to and from Manhattan along various local roads on both the north and south shores of SI. Didn't go as far south as Bay Terrace though. Complain if you haven't already, there's no excuse for roaming within NYC.

AC works well for me personally, and I regularly travel around the NYC metro area and along the Northeast Corridor to Boston and have yet to see a solid roaming indicator-- but I would take something like the old Single Rate East plan back in a heartbeat. I originally changed from SRE to AC because I was taking a trip to California, and I didn't want to incur roaming charges; I didn't realize at the time that there wouldn't be a SRE plan to switch back to afterwards! oops.

12. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

I live in the prince's bay part of staten island (south shore) and I get great reception.. It's spotty though. Overall, I do believe that the America's Choice Plan is the best service and value for your money. I just hope they begin offering promotions on the Single Rate National Plans...especially once Cingular goes from Nationwide Preferred to just Nationwide here in NYC....Verizon will then have some tuff competition, although Verizon is a much, much better carrier.

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular Nation preferred plans are already offered in California. The older Cingular Nation plans are offered in all other markets and pricewise they are the same as Verizon AC, except AC gives you 500 more N&W minutes. But if you ask me, I prefer to have 500 less N&W minutes in exchange for getting truly free roaming nationwide. The CIngular nation preferred are even better for offering about a couple of hundred anytime minutes more than AC and being truly national. Tough competition there. Now, I have to admit Verizon has better quality coverage. I believe Cingular is really forcing other carriers to raise the amount of packaged minutes.

14. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Like Roamer1 I have the old Verizon Single Rate National plan. When I got it I think the promo was 3350 weekend minutes. No nights, but more weekend minutes than I can use. Yes, I can roam anywhere in the US with NO roaming charges.

15. TampaTrev

TampaTrev Junior Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM 9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    It makes sense that Verizon would rejuvenate their SRN plans to compete with the Cingular offers. (Competition IS good, isn't it?!) I think Verizon was hoping the whole concept of truly national roam-free calling areas would fade away. The competition and this possible repositioning on Verizon's part proves the compelling appeal of SIMPLICITY in calling plans. Thanks for posting this info, Mike--your timing was perfect. I was planning to upgrade from the local plan I've had to America's Choice; now I think I'll wait! What's interesting too is that last week when I had a Verizon Customer Service Tech Support guy on the phone regarding another issue, I asked him some details about the new (as of July 1st) local plans and whether he knew if there would be any changes to America's Choice soon, and he said there would be changes to the AC plans August 1st.

16. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Trevin,

Do you know what chaanges would occur to the AC Plan? You can upgrade from your local plan to the AC plan now and upgrade again August 1st. It's best to upgrade around your new billing cycle so you don't have any pro-rated minutes.

17. TampaTrev

TampaTrev Junior Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM 9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks, Joe. It probably would be wise to go ahead with the AC plan now, just in case these rumors about National SingleRate don't pan out, and in case any planned changes to AC don't include as generous a promotion as the current one (unlimited N&W). I also wanted a signing discount on a new phone, but I guess there's no reason I couldn't get a new phone at discount for signing an AC contract now, and still be able to change plans again in August. Verizon seems to be pretty flexible on that kind of thing (correct me if I'm wrong!) Of course, now if they would just hurry with that v60i...!

As far as WHAT changes would occur to the AC plans, I don't know. The tech rep said he didn't have any details. All I can say is, based on other issues he discussed with me (he stayed on the line with me for almost half an hour--I've been very impressed with
    Verizon Customer Service, by the way; though some reps seem to know more than others, they all seem to try hard to please), and the way he resolved a couple problems I had called about, I would rate what he did say as credible. My own speculation now is that if they were to do a good promotion with the National Singlerate, they would just about have to offer more with the AC plans (in terms of more minutes for the price, perhaps) as well, otherwise there wouldn't be enough value distinction between the two.

We'll see!

18. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Trev,

Thanks for the info. I've been on the AC Plan since February and it's really good. Even if no promotions comes out on the SRN plan, I'd definitely recommend the AC Plan.

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think with Sprint and AT&T being so stubborn about making changes to their plans and Cingular and Voicestream hitting them where it hurts them the most, and Verizon being pulled both ways at the same time, the fight between free true national roaming or quasi-national roaming will not come to an end anytime soon.

20. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

I agree with you 100% bobolito, but since Cingular just launched here in NYC, it may put a little more pressure on Verizon on "true" national roaming, especially at Cingular expands. Verizon is a much better provider so they have that going for them anyway.

21. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

[​IMG] Hi folks! Just called VeriZon to ask about new rate plans & promotions for August 1st, fully expecting them to have no idea what is coming. They normally don't know until 1 day in advance.

What I was told is that TOMORROW, July 25, the $4.99 for unlimited n/w minutes and Mobile Web is changing. Instead of Mobile Web, you'll get 1000 Mobile-to-Mobile minutes instead. For life.......

Still no promotions or changes known for National Single Rate.

I have one phone on NSR with 150 minutes and 2000 weekend minutes for life. I got it with a one year contract which has already ended.

My other line is on the now-defunct Digital Choice 500 plan which, unlike the NEW version, DOES include NY Metro, Southern & Eastern NY state, and Nothern VT, and Southern NH (SIDs 22, 486, 404, 1516, 2058, 78, 300, & 428). It also has first-incoming minute FREE, an 200 extra peak minutes for 2 years (expiring VERY soon), and unlimited n/w minutes.

This plan also has the old 8pm to 7am off peak. The current plans cut the time by 2 hours a day by going from 9pm to 6am instead.

Finally, the unlimited n/w is being extended at no monthly charge for one additional year for all those who remain on the rate plan. ALL for $49.99. I DO pay for long distance though. Calls that cross the CT-NY or the CT-MA roam lines are subject to 0.15 per minute. If i;m in SID 119 (CT) and call a landline in NY, RI, Northern NJ or Eastern MA, I pay. If I'm in SID 22 (NY Metro) or SID 28 (Eastern MA & RI)and call CT, I pay. All calls made to landline numbers within the same SID region are free of LD charges. All other LD calls made are billed at 0.05 per minute. Incoming calls are billed at 0.15 if I'm in SID 22 or 28. All other SIDs at 0.05.

So, my dilemma is:

1) Stay on the current plan and drop from 700 to 500 peak. Keep paying LD charges (usually between $6-9 per month), but also keep first incoming minute free AND off peak starting at 8pm not 9pm.

OR

2) If I want a new phone, they will force me OFF that rate plan, and onto America's Choice OR the NEW digital Choice which removes all areas of NY & NJ from my plan. (Living where I do, the NY SID is 5 miles from home, and work is IN SID 22..... no option there! Roam every minute at 0.69 plus taxes a mere 5 minutes from home?)

OR

3) Go to America's choice and drop first incoming minute, start peak time at 9, not 8, no more LD charges, but $5 more per month access fee, and drop from 700 to 550 minutes.

Tough spot Verizon has put people in Southwestern CT in....

22. DaCurryman

DaCurryman Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I also called a Verizon CSR yesterday, and they told me that they probably will be coming out with new plans and that they tend to happen late August / early September. They also said that they don't know when any of the new plans would be coming out and that they don't know any of the details. So pretty much, they dunno jack **** and that all they know is what eveyone else knows...that a new plan will come sometime in the future...amazing help isnt it. [​IMG]

23. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

It's now July 25th and Verizon's website still offers the same as they have been. I see no changes.

24. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

Joe,

You're right! Their website has not been updated this morning. However I have noticed that it sometimes takes them several days to make those changes to the site. The v60i was availablea full week before it appeared on the site, replacing the v60c as the only v60 model available.

We'll keep our ears to the ground!

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wow, I've never seen LD charges so complicated. I dislike being charged so many different ways depending on where I call and where I am. Will they ever come up with something simple like everyone else?

26. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Probally NOT

Jack