Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon & Roaming

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Meezergeezer, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Meezergeezer

Meezergeezer New Member

Verizon & Roaming

Has anyone run into this situation? I live in southern Vermont - switched to Verizon been with them since 12/02. Like the service. Here in So. VT get analog for the most part. However weird thing happened last Saturday - I couldn't call my folks up in Northern VT. I normally have to dial *82 to send my phone number to their phone - they have something on their phone to reject anonymous callers. This has worked fine from December 02 up until this weekend.

Now I keep getting a recorded message from US Cellular saying that your service does not include this service. I think before I was utilizing Cellular One towers.

This really stinks since one of the reasons I got the cell phone was the convenience and to cut down on my long distance landline calls - now the place I call the most - I can't call.

Called Verizon they said they did nothing new - that the problem is b/c of the analog towers? Anybody run into this situation? Unfortunately I can't update my roaming until I go up north into digital area. Now I'm locked into a 2 year commitment and I can't call the number I normally call? I don't understand why all the sudden the problem. My local Verizon deal is about 2 1/2 hours away from me. guess I'm venting!

Any ideas?

2. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

Verizon recently updated their PRL (prefered roaming list). Other people have complained about it as well since it changed USCC from analog or digital roam to just analog roam. I'm assuming that it also raised USCC above Rural Cellular Corp (the company that uses the Cellular One brand in your parts) so that it will not roam on to RCC unless there is no USCC signal.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Did you update your roaming since March 1st already? That was when the newest PRL was released. If you do it again now, there won't be any changes.

My parents used to have anonymous call rejection on their phone, so I stopped calling them. They decided to ask the phone company to delete that feature from their landline phone. [​IMG]

4. Meezergeezer

Meezergeezer New Member

Hey AnthroMatt & Northform, thanks for the update - when I called Verizon they didn't even mention about updating the PRL. I'm in the sticks so I'll have to take a 45 minute ride in the car to get digital signal so I can update. I hope when I update the PRL it will correct the problem, or else I too won't be calling the folks! I think I learn more from this site than the cell phone provider itself!

Have a great day [​IMG]

lori [​IMG]

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I can relate to you living in analog land, I was working in analog only areas all last summer in California. The reason I asked if you had updated your PRL since March 1st was because it might be possible that where your phone was once "locking on" to a particular tower, it may be choosing a different one now (as northform suggested). If you have not done anything to your phone's PRL since the 1st of the month, then this matter probably gets a little more complicated (i.e. maybe a tower has gone down).

6. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Geezer,
    Until this problem is cleared up, can't the folks up north temporarily disable their Call Rejection? Also, the local telco may have the option of passing calls from certain numbers. Their wireline company knows who is calling regardless if you dial *82 or not.

The local telco here has a few other options that blocks telemarketers, but not normal callers, that work very well, but since our state now has a "No-Call" list, they stopped calling us altogether!

-Bill

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

Any reason you don't want to go with USCC or CellOne?

8. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    His problem sounds like it originates in the landline system. And why would he give up the carrier with the best network and best coverage?

9. Meezergeezer

Meezergeezer New Member

Hey Northform,

I was with US Cellular and thought it was pretty good, but I had some friends that had Verizon and gave it a shot in December, seemed to work pretty well, once I got the right phone. I had more minutes and the phone was nicer. I am contemplating moving back up to Northern Vermont - once I can get a transfer and US Cellular isn't so great up north.

From December up until last weekend the service here, though analog has been great - I could get through to the folks with their call rejection block, no problem.

So I have a 2 year contract with Verizon, so I can't easily switch unless I break the contract. I'm going to try to update the PRLs when I go up north and see if that helps down here. I doubt if the folks will get rid of the call rejection block, so it leaves me the alternative of not calling them or having removed from my phone so my cell phone number shows up on everyone's caller ID. Hey thanks for the help folks!

I think their landline company is also Verizon, perhaps it may be worth a phone call to them to see if there is a way around this situation! [​IMG]

10. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    If *82 doesn't work for ANY reason and USCC can't or won't fix it (given that it's USCC nothing would surprise me -- but at least you aren't roaming on USCC from Cingular...), you have grounds to file an FCC complaint -- ALL carriers that can transmit caller ID MUST permit *67 and *82, PERIOD.

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    Whats the big deal. Lift the caller ID block from your phone number. I dont understand why so many people are concerned with blocking their number. or anonymous call reject. I can understand selectively blocking your number in certain situations and not wanting telemarketer calls but isnt using these services in all situations unfair.
    You do have the option of unblocking your number and using *67 for per call blocking BUT if *82 doesnt work I have my doubts about *67.

12. Meezergeezer

Meezergeezer New Member

Hi there, Today I was in an area with digital signal and updated my PRL, when I got back home in analog land - found out that the *82 feature is back in business! I was prepared to lift the caller ID blocking - if I had to as a last resort, but didn't have to make that choice! Evidently I was routed to US Cellular, but normally roam on Cellular One - Cellular One towers allow me to utilize the *82 feature.

This forum is great, I've gotten so much help in the past!

Thanks for all the suggestions/help & advice, I appreciate it [​IMG] lori