Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon - Question about upgrading/changing phones while still under a 1-year contract..

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just recently signed up for a 1-year contract with Verizon. I bought a SAMSUNG A310 and am very satisfied with it, but I just heard that a new color SAMSUNG phone is due out by December and want to change/upgrade my phone when it comes out. I know that you cannot upgrade/change phones before 10 months have elapsed on your 1-year contract, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/experience as to how I can go about buying the new phone without paying the FULL suggested manufacturer's suggested retail price that Verizon will charge you if you switch phones before the 10 months are up?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. SETCHERONE

SETCHERONE New Member

Hey,

If you purchase the phone through Verizon Wireless you will not get a new phone at promotion price till 10 months after signing your contract. A sales Rep. will not make any exceptions. Try going to Ebay.com or a non-authorized dealer. Purchasing a phone through a non-authorized dealer will be cheaper, but you will not have the 1 year manufacturers warranty..

[​IMG]

3. Thumper

Thumper New Member

What is a non-authorized dealer? And where are they located on the net? Or in the Boston area? Thanks, I want to upgrade my phone now and I still have 14 months on this contract.

4. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

It's important to note that you can upgrade with Verizon 10 months AFTER signing a contract...even if the contract is for 2 years. So if you have 14 months left on a 24 month contract, you can already upgrade, assuming you haven't upgraded at all yet.

5. rozza

rozza New Member

hey i just did that, got a new phone... what you have to do if you really want the phone for sale price is this... go to the store you wish to buy a new phone tell them you want to add a line and purchase a new phone. You then will get the new phone at the sale price and will have two pnones the old one and the new one....... the negative is that you have share minutes, two phone numbers and its twenty bucks extra an month.... I did it because I wanted a new phone... and I like having two phoes to change it up. other wise you gotta pay full price, or wait 10 months< on on verizon

6. mrblackpcs

mrblackpcs New Member

verizon recentlly changed this. so if you signed a two year after feb 2002 you must wait 22 months before you upgrade.

7. jmccrane

Actually, I thought they changed it earlier this year and then changed it back. At least that's what happened during my time at RadioShack. If they changed it back to what you said after August, however, then I wasn't aware.

8. mrblackpcs

mrblackpcs New Member

they never changed it back. it doesnt effect customers on a 2 year prior to feb 2002

9. jmccrane

Oh, at least in my market (Philly) I was overwelmingly sure they changed it back to the 10 month rule. Well, if they didn't... that's a mistake. I would never recommend a 2 year contract for new customers in that case.