Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon phone Alltel Network

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by wizxz, May 22, 2003.

1. wizxz

wizxz New Member

I bought a Verizon V60 on Ebay and I live in Alltel land. I got the phone setup AOK and it all works great, the thing is a message, "Extended Network" flashes on the screen of the phone the whole time it is on. I don't see anywhere in my billing that I am getting charged any differently (yet anyway). Anyone have any thoughts on why this is going on and how to make it not flash on the screen any more.

Thanks!

Wizxz
    wizxz@nctc.net

2. DemoMan

DemoMan Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG 5450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Did you update the phone to use the Alltel PRL?

Try dialing *228 and follow the prompt. You should select option 2 I believe. Also, you might take it to the Alltel retail store and let them flash the software to make sure it is the correct version. Some of the phones that Alltel sells have different software package versions than Verizon.

Brad

3. wizxz

wizxz New Member

I did do the PRL update. That really helped it maintain a digitial signal.

I have been somewhat hesitant about taking it into the Alltel store, not knowing what, if anything they would say about programming a Verizon phone. I mean it says Verizon on the inside of the phone.

Thanks for the reply though!

Wizxz

4. DemoMan

DemoMan Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG 5450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    As far as I know, and this may be because I am on the business end of things, Alltel does not have a problem with you using phones from other CDMA providers. Before they started Over The Air PRL updating, it was sometimes a problem loading the roaming list in the phone, but otherwise....not really a prob.

Also....Do you have the correct system ID programmed into your phone?

If you did not go through that process then you may need to do that. It is simple to do. The only problem is that you need to know the home system ID number. Find out what the Network system ID is and program that in. If you need instructions, I can post those as well.

Brad

5. wizxz

wizxz New Member

Brad, I'm pretty sure I have the correct info for the phone, I got it off my wife's V60 (this is a V60 too). If you don't mind horribly though could you post the process of checking please. I may just take it to the Alltel store too, it's just a bit of a drive for me as I don't get to town much. Thanks for all your help.

Wizxz

6. DemoMan

DemoMan Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG 5450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    On your wife's Alltel V60, type in 74663# Menu Menu
    Select NAM 1

MIN should be your phone number 5551112222 for example
    below that should be 00
    MDN should be your phone number again

Now here is what you need to know....AMPS Sys ID on your wife's phone and the CDMA Sys ID should be the same....Look and see what that number is. Program that number into the AMPS and CDMA options on your phone and you should be recognizing your area as the home system....or at least that is my best guess to help ya :p

If you need anymore help, please feel free to ask....I'll do what I can.....Also, may I ask what market you are in?

Brad

7. wizxz

wizxz New Member

Ok, her is what her's says:

NAM1
    MIN: 308380XXXX (the number)
    IMSI_11_12: 00
    MDN: (the number again)
    AMPS Sys ID: 1466
    CDMA Sys ID: 152
    My phone says the exact same thing (except the phone numbers are different).

You say that the AMPS and the CDMA should be the same, I made that change on my phone so that the AMPS and CDMA are both 1466 but no change in the Extended Network message.

My market is Kearney NE.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Wizxz

8. DemoMan

DemoMan Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG 5450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Generally they are the same, but maybe in your market they are not the same. I have heard of Verizon using a differint Sys ID for their Analog side, but never noticed that on Alltel in my travels. I would say change the CDMA ID back to whatever your wife's is. The extended roam/roam thing was just addressed in a post a few days ago. I think it was called "Alltel Continuious Roaming"

Good luck man,
    Brad

9. jk870

jk870 New Member

For some reason Alltel does use a different SID for analog than they do for digital in NE. AMPS is 1466, CDMA is 152. If your phone has an Alltel PRL loaded (the latest is 603), you shouldn't be seeing 'Extended Network'. Strange.

10. denaper

denaper New Member

HI! sorry to hear about the trouble ur having. I work for an Alltel company and I hate to tell u but Verizon phones normally wont work on our systems. If ur guys have it working then great deal for ya. but the "extended network thing" sometimes it just happens. all that means is that u are roaming off of another tower that isnt alltel that is nearby. but normally as long as you stay in your footprint (local calling area) then u will be ok. and if u stay in that area while using ur phone, and u do by somechance get a roaming charge on ur bill, just contact customer support at 1-800-alltel9. they will be glad to help. if u have any other questions, just email me. have a great day and thanks for chosing alltel!

11. terrys

terrys New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Most of the time when using a Verizon phone a year or two old there are no problems. But any phone with VCAST poses a real problem as Alltel and Verizon use different method to send pictures. A translating companies software is what allows Alltel phones to send a photo to a Verizon phone, and vice versa. TXT messages usually pose no problem but you simply can not sent pictures.

I have been told that the VCAST software is hard coded into the Verizon phone and that even if the phone is a model Alltel sells if you take the phone into have the software changed it is not possible. I do not know that as a fact, however.

On older phones I have had customers who were successful in having their software changed.

You might want to try changing the V60 to NAM2, program it, and then update the PRL. I have sometimes seen that solve the flashing indicator when using a non-Alltel Phone.