Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon or Cingular in Groton, CT

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Chip, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Chip

Chip New Member

I am currently a Verizon customer in San Diego. I will be moving to the east coast, most likely Groton, CT by Sept/Oct of 2003. My contract with Verizon expires in two months. I am looking at Cingular pretty hard, they look like they have a better plan than Verizon (for my needs). I like their GSM phones, style and services offered. I understand that Cingular is upgrading their service in the NorthEast to GSM and will be done the end of this year.
    I am looking for input from Cingular customers that live/travel in the Groton/new London / Mystic areas all the way up through Newprot, RI.
    1) How is the signal strength?
    2) Many dropped or missed calls?
    3) Many system busy messages when attempting to make phone calls?

I am pretty sure that Groton Cingular is still TDMA, but wondering how well the service is as I think it will be an indicator of how well the service will be when GSM is implemented.
    Also, what is Cingular doing for customers so they can upgrade their phones to GSM?
    Thank you for any input!

Chip

2. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Can't comment on Cingular in Groton, but Cingular in other areas of CT(as far east as Storrs, and West as Hartford) is spotty. A friend of mine has it with a Nokia 5165 and there is always bad delays in her calls and she frequently gets dropped calls. A friend of mine lives in Stonington and has Sprint PCS. He is thrilled with the service and has no problem getting signal. From what I understand, Verizon and Sprint share towers so if true I'm sure Verizon would work just as well. I've had great service from Verizon myself. In general, TDMA service in CT don't seemt to work that well(atleast for me). I had tried AT&T could never get on their network even though I was in an area where they said they had coverage. I'd say take a look at Sprint or Verizon.

3. Chip

Chip New Member

Thank you Dave!

4. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    You're quite welcome Chip. Good luck with your move. Make sure you bring winter clothes [​IMG]

5. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    Chip, . I live in southern Rhode Island next to the border of Ct , I travel daily on route 95 to Quonset Point, Rhode Island and Groton Ct. Verizon has excellant coverage here, Cingular works ok in RI but I don:t know about Ct.

6. MVL

MVL New Member

The posts here are surprising. Just two years ago, Cingular (formerly SNET/Cell One) blew away all of the competition in terms of reception in most parts of Connecticut (personal experience). Verizon was second, and all others were waaay behind. If everyone else is correct, then Cingular must have destroyed a once awesome SNET network.

-MVL

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Chip; from Groton Ct. to Newport R.I. Verizon has the best coverage in this area cingular doesn,t even come close

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you Anonymous. I appreciate all the dialog and recommendations. I think I will probably stick with Verizon.

9. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    Hey Chip If you don,t mind me asking are you moving to groton to work in a shipyard ? I use to work there at Electric boat, now i work in Quonset Point at their other shipyard.

10. Chip

Chip New Member

Nope. I am hoping to be there the end of next year. My wife & I own a house in Center Groton. I am trying to wiggle my way into a job at
    NUWC Newport, RI. Short commute from Groton to there, but I can do that for a few years. I just left there (Groton) a few years ago.
    Met my wife in Groton, and married just before we left.

Chip