Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon or Cingular? Help Please

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello all,
    Your advice is greatly apprciated. I live in Southeast PA and Im looking for the best National plan. I already have a phone provided to me by my employer for daily use. (Its AT&T and coverage SUCKS, but I digress)

The phone Im looking for is one that will travel with me. I travel about 20 times per year, all over the country to TN, FL, TX, VA, NY, NJ and other places. My main issue is that Id like a national plan so as not to worry if my phone will work or not and not to have to worry about unexpected Roaming Charges. It would not get used much locally and not even a whole lot when I travel, but I want to know that it will work when I need it.

The Cingular Nation plan (TDMA) is 30 bucks and you get 3500 free night/weekend minutes
    Verizon (CDMA) has a National plan for 35 bucks and NO free minutes.....OR.....they have a quasi-national plan called America's choice that 35 bucks and 4000 free night weekend minutes.

Im really on the fence, I would truly appreciate anyones advice.

2. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

It really depends on where you travel??? Are you planning to have internet on your phone???
    Verizon's America's choice will cover you most of where you go........all major cities are covered..........and others. I have been with VZW for the last almost 8 years (damn I am getting old) when it was GTE. Now I work for them because I like thiere product soooooooooo much. Dont get me wrong......I have tried out other providers before i signed on to work for Verizon.....and they worked good in my area.................but lacked the coverage when out in different areas...............and my good ol VZW phone always kept me in contact.........except for a few spots...........but hey no company is perfect.[​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

No, I dont realy need wireless Net access on this phone.

Does anyone know if you can get the bonus night/weekend minutes with the Verizon National plan?

Any and all opinions on my first post are appreciated. THANKS again

Jeffrey

4. Guest

Guest Guest

If you do a lot of traveling to Buffalo, NY , I would go with cingular. I told my friends before they got verizon that they would have problems with the service here. Get charged canadian airtime and not being in canada?? lol

5. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Verizon right now is offering 4000 N&W min on the Americas Choice plan. As for thier TRUE national plan......................no promo's

6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Go with Verizon if you plan on staying within there America's Choice Network otherwise go with a Cingular Nation Plan.

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would say for a TRUE NATIONAL PLAN cingular can not be beat

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

<< Your advice is greatly apprciated. I live in Southeast PA and Im looking for the best National plan. I already have a phone provided to me by my employer for daily use. (Its AT&T and coverage SUCKS, but I digress) >>

I also live in SE Pennsylvania (Live in Delaware county, work in Montgomery county), and currently have pretty good service with Cingular. However, Cingular and ATT share their TDMA networks in a lot of places, so it's possible that you may have the same problems if you switch to Cingular.

I've also been told that if your phone is old, getting the latest firmware update from ATT might help.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If what you want is a national plan where you don't have to worry about "unexpected Roaming Charges" then go with Cingular. Their TDMA network across the US is part owned by them and part by AT&T and other smaller carriers. No matter what carrier you pick you are bound to find coverage problems sooner or later since you travel a lot and unfortunately you can never tell until you get where you are going. I can tell you though that Cingular coverage in DC is excellent but in south jersey and NYC could be better. North Jersey seems better and that happens to be AT&T area. Along I-95 Cingular does pretty well no matter what state you're in. I've been in all over FL many times and I cannot complain about Cingular coverage there.
    As far as Verizon, they cover much better than AT&T/Cingular in New York City. In other states, Verizon's coverage may be a little more extensive than AT&T/Cingular and with less holes. However, there are still places where you wish Verizon signal was better. Also, although their quasi-national plan is affordable and gives you plenty of minutes, they can charge you for roaming where you might need your phone the most. I don't think you would get unexpectedly charged for roaming since the phone is supposed to tell you that you are roaming. On the other hand, their true National SingleRate plan won't give you enough minutes even if you beg them. There are no bonus off-peak minutes on this plan.
    If it was my choice, I would go with Cingular. I don't think there are that many places where Verizon has a better signal than Cingular, plus the Cingular Nation plan won't charge you for roaming even if you are in analog or off-network or next to a cow in the mountains of NC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If you want something with truely no roaming or long distance charges then a Cingular Nation Plan would be your best bet. They just changed there plans though the 3,500 night and weekend minutes now only comes with plans that are $39.99 and above. Still its a great deal though and if I was you I would look into it.

Cingular Wireless

11. sgarrand

sgarrand New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Cingular
    Aside from the roaming, which isn't entirely an issue because Verizon has a large network and uses an "extended network" of other providers. I recently had to choose, and I chose Verizon because (it may sound silly) I like the phones and their prices, not to mention the mobile web option on the promotional America's Choice plan. Just my two cents since I was recently "on the fence" myself.

Scott

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Well as far as we all want from what I read none of us want a charge for roaming nor long distance. I have to say this is true because we all want one rate plan with total coverage. I went with verizons old regional plan witch is no long around. They have the Americas choice and myself personally think it suck comparied to the old plan they use to offer. I live in Michigan gives me 10 surrounding states I can call from with out of to any of the 50 states no roaming nor long distance. Sprint wouldnt even touch this, what I have come to find out is your'll never know till you ask. Someone dont want to be in an area and think hey this call might cost me 80 cents per minute, and sometimes you dont even know your so close to the boarder of that line where the cut of is and be grabbing another tower out of your coverage area. So when I was looking at the Americas Choice ok I think with that much coverage you might just as well go national. I mean hey you want to know that your covered in all areas with no extra charges. I also have a complaint with all cellular companies is that with your bill they are starting to bill a surcharge along with your payment no matter how you may make that payment Verizon is 2 dollars I think this is nuts and Sprint I hear is 5 dollars. Just to make a bill Verizon dont take cash at none of there headquarters. They either take them over the net or phone atomated if you make it with someone in person then its 2 dollars. Looks to me depends on how much you want to spend and minutes you may use but when traveling. Sometime ago people got mad and still are because they ask why is my bill this X amount of dollars and from the company telling them this they still are upset because the customer wants to be right no matter what and then say this cellular company was screwing me around ya hear it all the time! So beware what ever you nor anyone may want figure out damn near close to what that bill is going to be from month to month and yourll always know [​IMG] A one rate plan with all kinds of coverage no long distance nor roaming. Take care and make sure you know what you want. Ask many questions and call the compainies 1-800-number and ask if they could throw something in for free and there also you might get a verbile contract and nothing signed and ever want to discontinue there service for any reason they dont have nothing with your name or sig on it. Buyer beware!!! Always ask questions and take your time make sure its something you want and think of every charge they might add before getting a cellular because the customer will get mad again because they didnt understand a charge and always read your bill for always releasing new information on charges. Take Care ya all just stay aware of what you want and what they want to sell you. Think of the phone you want and what outdoor or any type of activities you are involved in. A fil phone might get dirt in the flipping part and go with a brand of phone you may be comfy with like Mortarola! As about features on the phone is it s tri-band, warrenty, size of phone, ect. Again take notice to everything around ya making these decissions there not going to make them for you.

Richard

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok Richard, although I had some difficulty understanding your message I saw your comment about the American Choice plan. I personally think is not bad because the coverage areas were designed thinking where people move around the most. So I think it is highly unlikely that most people will fall into a roaming area. And even if they do, (such as in the case where you may be in the edge of the network and pick up a foreign tower) the display on the phone will show that it's roaming. This kind of coverage plan as well as the AT&T National network, is the same kind of plan Sprint PCS has been offering for years. Verizon and AT&T are either just copycats or realized that Sprint was having great success with their national plans. Lots of people signed up with Sprint in the past few years simply because they wanted a rate plan that was affordable and didn't have to worry about roaming or long distance charges where they traveled. All Sprint PCS users have to do is verify the phone display to see if they are roaming. Most likely they are not.

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Correct

But cingular is challenging those america choice type plans with there more minute national plans

Jack

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Not only that Jack, Cingular Nation plans have no confusing on-network/off-network deals so no matter where you are in Digital or Analog there are no roaming charges. That's the difference between Cingular Nation plans and the rest.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

With Cingular you pay no roaming. This is a non-issue if your phone is getting no service. The "no roaming" promise is nice, but nowhere in that does it say you'll have service everywhere. With Verizon you might go off network, and with Cingular you won't pay for roaming.. especially if your phone isn't getting a signal. I don't know which has more towers, networks, etc.. but I like CDMA better. Just my two cents.

Scott

17. sgarrand

sgarrand New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Cingular
    The above message was by me, the login failed.

Scott

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Scott, what you said is true for GSM subscribers only. However, if you are a Cingular TDMA subscriber, digital/analog coverage is about the same as Verizon. TDMA and CDMA networks have about the same coverage area across the US. Add to that the analog coverage which is on a par to Verizon's analog coverage across the US. I just know that in most America's Choice roaming areas Verizon will charge me for roaming and Cingular will give me coverage even if its analog and won't charge me roaming.

GSM is rapidly expanding all over the US and in a couple of years or less you may see it makes no difference go one way or the other. If you are a GSM subscriber you will be able to get a GAIT phone soon which will give you access to TDMA and analog networks in addition to GSM. That will take care of your coverage needs for good.

19. sgarrand

sgarrand New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Cingular
    That said, it came down to the plans/phones for me just recently. I wanted a nice flip-type phone without spending upwards of $200 for it. Verizon had the LG TM510 for $139 (guy gave me a slight discount) and the cheapest decent flip-type at Cingular was $249. The plan.. Unlimited N&W (they're back! no more x,000 minutes to even think about), Mobile web (working at night, want the Yankees score.. got it), and the clincher for me was the expanded coverage in areas I like to travel to in New England. It was a toss up and if I was fine with another Nokia, I might've went with Cingular. [​IMG]

Oh, and it may seem small and unimportant, but I like being able to check my minutes used. With my Cingular Home plan (which I like very much) I cannot do this. I had a previous year contract with Verizon and was very pleased. I got coverage in areas my friend with Cingular could not and even now I get coverage in my place of work with Verizon and not in certain parts of the store with Cingular.

Scott

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    True, unfortunately Cingular has lagged behind others when it comes to checking your minutes in this market. There are other markets where this is possible though. It's no secret that Verizon's digital coverage is more extensive than Cingular or AT&T in terms of spots. Is this plan that has unlimited N&W that you mentioned regional or national?

21. sgarrand

sgarrand New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Cingular
    This is the America's Choice $35 + $5 deal, it is National. I was looking at a $40 plan either way. I know I won't use 3500 minutes, but I like the luxury of not having to think about it. Especially since with Cingular I can't check it. The reason I decided to get a national plan at all was because of the roaming I incurred one trip to FL with my Cingular Home phone. I do like Verizon's coverage, I do like their customer service, and I do like the people at the store nearby. On a previous contract with Verizon I bought various phones from Ebay and they switched phones on the spot. No "unlocking" issues or anything.. just had them change it. You have to be with Cingular 24 months (from what I've been told BY Cingular) to switch phones with them. I don't believe I could buy my own and have it put on the plan. I'm sure it's hard for some people to have to look at the screen or LED indicator to tell if they're roaming, but I think I can handle it. [​IMG]

Scott

22. Guest

Guest Guest

have to be with Cingular 24 months (from what I've been told BY Cingular) to switch

----
    No restrictions for ESN changes.

23. bhh2001

bhh2001 New Member

I go to school in Princeton NJ and need some serious advice as to which service will provide a better signal and wireless connection. While the campus is a black hole for Sprint, it seems that Cingular works better on one part of the campus and Verizon on the other. Does anyone have any overarching insight on which service is better in Princeton and then in NYC? Your insight will be the determining factor in which service I decide on. Also, does anyone know where to buy verizon's Kyocera 2235 not through Verizon? Thanks.

Regards,
    Beau

24. Guest

Guest Guest

how long between switches depends on your contract period as far as I can tell. Originally I was told I could get a new phone (subsidized) after 9 months. I did have to complain to get them to let me get a new phone after 17 months (5 months after my initial contract) because they said I should have taken my discounted phone when the contract was up... A quick call to CS got me flagged as authorized for discounted hardware and I was able to get a new subsidized phone by signing a new 1 year contract (almost up now). Kinda frustrating that I had to call CS to get it authorized just because I waited a few months to want a new phone... but it worked out. It's also totally up to CS when you can get a new phone... so ask nicely and you could be in luck...

speaking of Cingular CS, my girlfriend just changed her plan and the rep she spoke to seemed to imply that once a computer upgrade (in progress) is complete, CS will better be able to hook us up... this was my girl's interpretation though, not the rep's words (probably monitored). We'll see. [​IMG] Maybe the upgrade will enable us to view our billing (and minutes?) online like most other providers can... she said it will eliminate the confusing way some "free" features are billed... for example, my bill always says "unlimited long distance $10 . . . free LD credit -$10" That stuff should go away as the new system will be more flexible in how it bills stuff.

Another bummer we uncovered... I have unlimited mobile-to-mobile on my old plan (free for me, $10 for the less fortunate). This isn't available on the national plans. Since we call each other's cells quite a bit, this may force her to the $70 850-minute plan instead of the $50 500-minute... why there is no $60 plan, who knows?

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In the last two months I have switched phones several times with Cingular. First I got an 8260 just to test it for a few days. Then a week later I switched to a 3360 I got from Ebay but I had to return it because of problems. So, I switched back to the 8260. Another week passed and I got the replacement 3360 so I switched phones again. Cingular reps never said a word about it.

26. Guest

Guest Guest

I forgot to mention... in my post (anon) above I was referring to phones supplied by Cingular... A friend of mine lost his phone and got a hacker to crack an AT&T phone and used that for a while... Cingular doesn't really care how often you switch phones, just how often they subsidize your equipment. Some dealers may try to charge for activating a new phone, but if you find the right guy you can switch any time you want for free (provided you have a new phone to switch to).