Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon offers Nokia 3285 in West (new)

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Oct 30, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    As of this morning, Verizon has added another phone to its entourage of phones. The Nokia 3285.

I don't know why I've never noticed it before, but the antenna on this phone made me wonder why it is that antennas on CDMA phones are so much larger than for TDMA or GSM.

Kevin

2. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

Got mine about a week ago Kevin, it's a great little phone.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Kevin:

Forgive my previous incomplete emails. Getting used to this new system. I have been in touch with you from the old threads. I was very unhappy with Sprint (still am) but have waited to switch as I am waiting for the LGTM520 also. Any news on when this will come out? I was told end of Oct. and of course that has not happened. I am a Flt. Attendant and need good,overall, nationwide coverage. I have narrowed it down to AT&T and Verizon. You said Verizon has roaming problems. Can you explain that? I am leaning towards Verizon as they have the better selection in phones and features. Any news on if AT&T is improving in that area soon? Verizon has a new phone (have only found it on the East Coast, for some reason. Do you know why?) I live in the San Gabriel Valley and none of the Verizon corp.stores have this phone. It is the Motorola 270C. Not positive about that model no. but it just came out and has a very good quality speaker phone built in. In addition, it has voice activated dialing. Do you have any news or in put on this phone. I may go with it since I am tired of waiting for the LGTM520. Another reason I am leaning towards Verizon is because of AT&T's poor NYC reviews. I did read here that they have made some major improvements in that region, but their phone selection still has alot to be desired. Please give me any in put you can help me with.

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Whow! That was a lot of questions.

Verizon Roaming: Verizon's network is an amalgamation of several smaller networks. For example, in the SF Bay Area, it used to be GTE Wireless, which, according to a store manager I spoke to had built their network infrastructure around Lucent technologies. However, just over the hill, east, in the "Central Valley" used to be AirTouch who had built their network around Motorola systems. Verizon is now the "brand name" and parent company of both those markets. Local roaming (in the state of California ) shouldn't be a problem for subscribers. However, due to ever-changing roaming agreements with other network operators nationwide, sometimes a caller will attempt to place a call while in another state and be surprised to find they are being told to provide a credit card number in order to complete the call. A call to 611 usually corrects the problem, but it is very frustrating. In this regard, when (and if) you start service, try telling Verizon up front where you will be traveling and then make a note as the areas you have problems with and let us know (here on WirelessAdvisor). I am personally very interested in hearing if this problem can be thwarted by preparing or if, no matter what a subscriber does, you have to go through the headache first. (A friend and business associate noted that his voicemail also didn't work while he was out of state--not a good thing when you are expecting an important message that never arrives.)

ATT: As far as New York goes, I only know what the news release states. I have yet to see any confirmation or denial from posters who are NYC ATT subscribers. If you are willing to wait until late February, there is talk that Nokia will start marketing wireless phones that have voice-dialing around that timeframe. Up here, they have already released two voice-dialing phones. The Panasonic Allure is receiving poor reviews from users--they claim it is a "cheaply" made phone, much too fragile. The Ericsson R300LX is actually receiving some pretty good reviews (alt.cellular.attws).

TM520: I gave up waiting and started service with the TM510. It is a very nice phone. A poster who works for Verizon in Dallas TX indicated that the Dallas market is expecting it's release of the 520 within the next couple of weeks.

Motorola270c: It is not uncommon for different regions to market different phones. I don't work for any cellular company so "insider" news is not something I have. If you want the 270c, when you are on the east coast, see if a store will allow you start service with an east-coast phone number. I was told (by the Verizon store I bought from) that I can switch to a central valley number after 60 days.

Take care and I hope the airways are safer now for your sake and those whose lives depend on flight.

Kevin

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin, you mentioned that there is talk about Nokia coming out with new voice activated phones in late February, was the Nokia 6360 one of those?
    I heard it was coming out in november, but apparently it isn't. I am impatiently waiting for it.
    Thanks,
    Ronnie

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Have you ever seen those cartoons where the guy's mouth drops to the floor? That's me now. Admittedly, I based my comment on what I've been seeing on different web boards. I have no tangible evidence one way or the other. And as far as my intelligent-sounding analysis, I will have to admit that as sensible as it sounds to me, I've been proved wrong by reality more than once.

I have spoken to various ATT retail store employees and they are under the impression that ATT will have 2.5G deployed in major markets over the next several months. ATT has released two voice-dialing phones in the past month. One employee told me he knows of a new voice-activated Motorola phone that will be released around Dec.2001. However, I've gotten mud in my face a number of times by repeating unsubstantiated comments like these, so, seeing as I am nothing more than a fellow consumer just as you are, I will have to default to: "duh, I dunno" and "time will tell."

As to Nokia's phones, why would they invest money to design and manufacture the 6360 and then decide not to deploy it? Something doesn't sound right there. What reason was given to you as to why Nokia (or ATT) wouldn't deploy the phone?

Take care,
    (Taking a mud bath) Kevin

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I worked for nokia I have never hear of that model of phone the is a 6310 in asia but there was never plan to release model 6360 there will a model that is 8390 that will nokia gprs phone that will come mid 2002

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Verizon requires phone manufacturers to put in retractable antennas.

9. Eastexan

Eastexan New Member

All the phones that I have seen that Alltel uses, also have retractable antennas. I have just assumed that the CDMA technology requires them.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I just recently switched from cingular to verizon because i was hoping verizon coverage and service was better than cingular. What a mistake. I bought two nokia 5185i on a family regional share plan. I live in So CAl but work in Phoenix. Soon as I went to work in Phoenix I had major unresolvable problems with the phones in roaming mode. Dropped calls all the time; and inability to connect on dial 4 out of 5 times. Usually get a messege that "this service is tempoorarily out of service" or the "number yopu dailed is incorrct". Of course on redial eventually the Same number will work;t extremely frustrating to the point I'm returning the phones.

Would you know if this problem would be solved with a different model phone?

11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Doubt that its the phone. Call 611 (or is it *611?) while in the Phoenix area. I had similar problems while supposedly "roaming" even though I was in California within an hour of where I live.