Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon, NYC area - Caller ID shown as Out of area instead of name

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by TeflonJack, Aug 8, 2005.

1. TeflonJack

TeflonJack New Member

Hi,

I recently ported my number over from Sprint PCS to Verizon Wireless and so far everything has been great, however there is an issue with Caller ID. I called Verizon regarding this issue and they say that Verizon Wireless does not support caller ID with name, just Caller ID. ( i have a hard time believing this).

When I was with Sprint, it showed my name and number on all caller ID displays, with Verizon, it says out of area, but shows the number. Does anyone else have this problem with Verizon Wireless? Is it actually true they still don't support caller id with name? If so, any idea if they will ever support it.

Thanks

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Welcome to WirelessAdvisor and Verizon! :)
    Verizon does not push the name with your Caller ID, this is true, they have generic things that show up on people's caller ID when you call them. In Utah, Verizon phones show the City/State of where your number is from. Mine says "SALT LAKE, UT" and my number.
    Here's the thing: Numbers ported into Verizon from a different carrier will come up with "UNAVAILABLE" in my area, so your number showing Out of Area is basically the same thing. I like the fact that Verizon doesn't push my name, but I'd hate to have my ported number show something like "unavailable".
    No idea if/when Verizon will ever support it.
    Hope this helps.

3. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    When C-ID first became mandatory, and the switch to digital occurred, Verizon did offer the Name and number. I asked to have my name removed and just have the number sent, using the logic that all my phones on the family plan gave one name not that of the individual using the phone. They did make a change later, perhaps others commented.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    A caller's name will show up on your screen if the name is in your phonebook.

5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Nothing to do with your question, but Cingular passes through the Name and number with Caller ID to a landline. But I think only the number to a cell phone. Usually, my phone address book picks the name of course.

6. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

the other carrier that supports name in
    caller id is t-mobile.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Viewfly, this may depend on the calling area and/or the caller ID on the landline. The caller ID on my home landline shows the number and the wording "cellular call" irrespective of the cell phone carrier, but not a name. For calls from other landline phones, it shows the number, the name and the city.

8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know with my Blue Cingular it say's "Wireless caller" with the # on a landline caller ID, with my VoIP I was able to have it say my name with the #.
    I believe Cingular will show the name & #, but if your on a share plan it will only show the main account name.
    I have seen Verizon callers show up as both the person's name & out of area, unfortunatly for me, with my ability to customize the calls coming into my home on VoIP everyone I know on a wireless that calls I have customzied there name to the #, so I can't verify if there is any difference lately.

9. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks for the info Charlyee. I guess it does depend on the local interface between the wireless carrier and the local landline. In my case I have SBC and Cingular (SBC being the parent company). Maybe this helps.

10. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Viewfly, that's interesting, I have had SBC and Cingular (Ameritech for both before that) ever since and I don't see the name in the caller ID. It always comes up as "Cellular Call" irrespective of the cell provider. This has to area specific then.

Also I just changed my landline to AT & T last week and everything stayed the same for the caller ID.