Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon -- Northern Calif problems

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Nov 7, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    All:

I have had Verizon service for 7 days now. In that period my TM510 experienced a software failure and the network today caused me some frustration. I will need to change out the phone, but that is minor compared to the network issue....

My first indication that something wasn't right was that I had "no signal" displayed when I powered up. I didn't get signal until I hit the freeway. This was surprising because just last night I placed a call from inside my home and talked for 30 minutes.

While on hwy 580 westbound to work (from a/c 209 to 925), I observed a traffic condition that I wanted to alert the local CHP office to (I have the local CHP direct number progammed for non-emergency calls). Surprisingly I got prompted for a credit card number. I checked to ensure I was in digital mode (yes). I checked the roaming indicator (none). Seeing as all of northern Calif is considered the "home area" for Verizon users whose service was started in the northern calif., I find this to be absolutely unacceptable.

I called Verizon immediately afterwards (611) and they told me I would have to call from a landline so that could have me check some settings on the cell phone. (So now I'm reduced to only being able to call 611 & 911 until this is resolved. Absurd!)

I called from work and spoke to a person that didn't seem to know what to do. She called technical support but the info they gave her was exactly the settings on my phone already. I called back (800-922-0204) and took options 1-5-1 (technical support) and got the same service rep office. I told them I wanted technical support. I was told I am not allowed to speak directly to them unless the rep cannot resolve through tandem conveyance of messages to tech support. (ATT Wireless doesn't treat their customers this way. They have a direct number for tech support.)

When I finally was allowed to speak to a tech, I gave him (from my call history) the exact number and time of the call. He was unable to find it in either the SF or Sacto market network history! He thinks that I must have been in analog mode (I wasn't) and, get this, I must have <u>contacted an ATT analog tower</u>! He asked what company the credit card message said I was roaming with. Unfortunately, I didn't get that. (But I will be checking it much more closely the next time this happens. I am going to try several situations tonight.)

Bottom line: I have NEVER had any such problem with ATT Wireless. My wife still carries that phone and I am seriously beginning to think that ATT (though number 3 in nation-wide subscribers) is still the best choice for northern calif. prospective cell phone users.

FOLLOW-UP: I returned home this evening to find that once again my phone displayed &quot;no service.&quot; I went to a local Verizon-owned retail store. It turns out that one of their towers is down. Bummer. They have been working on it all day long. I wonder how long this will take to repair.

Thursday 11/8, 5AM: Tower is still down. I called 611 when I got to work. Technical Support not open until 7AM.

11/8, 8AM: CS called back. They acknowledged the tower was having difficulties. It could be up to three weeks before it is operational. I told the CS that I appreciate she is not personally to blame, but I find this unacceptable service. When the tragedy happened in NY, Verizon had mobile towers operational within 24 to 48 hours. Given the number of mobile customers living and traveling through the area, not even 3 days is acceptable. The CS offered a credit for my trouble. Yes, thank you, Verizon, for that. But better yet, get service restored. I am still undecided whether to keep Verizon or not. Not even once has this happened with ATT up here.

11/8, 5PM: Digital service has been restored. Coverage from residence once again. According to Verizon, analog service was always available. I can't verify that.

11/11: I just came back from a weekend trip to the Fresno, CA area. Every time (except one) I tried to use the phone, I got prompted for a credit card number. My patience with the lousy service has worn thin, I am stopping service tomorrow.

I called the 800-922-0204 CS number and every time and got some ____-n-bull story. On one call the CS agent said they were doing this to discourage cloning. I reminded him that I am the real subscriber as proven by my answering their security questions. Another agent told me I was on the wrong NAM. I only have one NAM in use on this phone and they knew that. Yet a third time they tried to blame it on the phone. They could not intelligently answer why I couldn't complete a call. What really upsets me is that at no time did I leave the northern California &quot;home area&quot; which is the smallest plan one can get. (Yet I am on the 12-state regional plan.) So I should NEVER have been treated as if I were out of the calling area. Regardless of whose network I'm on--Verizon's roaming agreement should have handled it.

I had heard about this happening to people who travel to another state, but to have this happen within the same state, with in the northern Calif home area is not worth the bother. Good-riddance Verizon, hello ATT.

-Kevin

2. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

If you think it's bad there, try coming to Ukiah Kevin. We regularly experience outages, dropped calls, static, and inability to place calls. And now the date for our digital service to be turned on(August 1st)keeps being pushed back and back. Now it's Pac Bell's fault for not installing the T1's ontime. Their story for not having it on changes daily(I get all the gossip working at Radio Shack) Both the other carriers here, Edge Wireless(part of AT&amp;T) and US Cellular have digital in all their Northern California locations. If it wasn't for the fact Verizon has the best plans and features in town, and cover everywhere I travel, I might be tempted to switch to Edge(AT&amp;T) Wireless. We are also promised 17 new towers in Lake and Mendocino Counties by next summer, I suppose they also have beachfront property to sell us in Kansas too lol Want to get together and yell at Verizon? lol My boss would join in, he is fed up with Verizon now.

3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hey Mike (Mike Cook, right?)

I am curious why you say Verizon has the best plan. ATT now offers unlimited nights and weekends and comparing the plan I have for (my wife's) ATT (regional for $50 = 400 minutes) to the plan I have with Verizon (regional for $45 = 350 minutes), really, ___ for tat, they are exactly the same price per minute. (ATT's is actually two-tenths of cent cheaper.)

What other aspects are you looking at that lead you to your favorable conclusion for Verizon?

Now that I have a &quot;personal&quot; cell to use, if you're interested and write me (yoda2u@ureach.com) with a number I can call you at, we can &quot;chat&quot; live (daytime number).

Kev

4. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

It's Mike Cook, you're right :) Unlimited nights and weekends here on Edge would be cool, but their plans are completely different than AT&amp;T's. They only offer 1000 night and weekend minutes, as opposed to 3000 with Verizon. And Edge doesn't include nationwide long distance in their western plans. You can get one of the following: 500 bonus anytime minutes, 1000 n&amp;w minutes, or natiowide long distance, but you can't get all of them, or even two, just one. US Cellular only offers 1000 n&amp;w minutes as well(it is 10 dollars extra :( ), but they do offer nationwide ld on their western plans. But with US Cellular, unlike with Edge/AT&amp;T, you end up roaming on foreign systems if you go out of this area. But with Verizon, I get 500 anytime minutes, 3000 night and weekend minutes, free nationwide ld, Mobile Web(neither Edge or US Cellular offer this), Verizon native coverage everywhere I go, for 60 dollars. Once they get their network working right, they will beat everybody hands down.

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I have updated the original post with my (horrible) weekend experience. See the bottom of the initial post.

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Final outcome:

I went to cancel service at the very store I started service at. They put me on the phone with customer care. The agent said: &quot;Well, Call Delivery was never enabled on your account. Without it, the phone won't work.&quot; I told the agent for all the calls to Customer Care that I made over the past 12 days, you'd think someone would have noticed. (Its strange that it took cancellation for them to take a good look at the account.) He asked if I wanted to continue the service with Call Delivery enabled. I told him I consider this oversight inexcusable and, no, I don't want to continue service.

One lesson for those considering Verizon: Make sure you ask if Call Delivery is activated. Heaven knows what other hoops you have to jump through to get Verizon to do their job right.

Kevin

7. Guest

Guest Guest

That's what you get for choosing Verizon Wireless, Kevin.

Verizon Wireless &quot;Sure we have the largest nationwide network but we really suck and screw over our customers&quot;

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I disagree with your sweeping evaluation. Verizon made a major mistake in my service and they paid for it by losing a customer and by my posting my experience. But I have also heard from many satisfied customers across the USA. Over the several months I have been contributing to this board, I have seen rants and raves for each wireless company.

For me, ATT has been and continues to be the best choice. Their Customer Service agents have always been helpful. Billing has only once had an error (which ATT corrected and even apologized for). I have never gotten a defective phone (5 now). However, on every one of those counts, I have read where others have had frustrating experiences.

It is my belief that most companies WANT to do what's right. Unfortunately, they end of staffed with people that are poorly trained or overworked and make mistakes or don't care or all of the foregoing. That is just part of our human imperfection.

Kevin

9. Guest

Guest Guest

ah I guess it depends on what area you are in too Kevin in my area I hear mostly bad things about Verizon Wireless. Usually with there poor customer service which I have delt with myself when I had a problem with my mom's phone and took care of it. I found there staff to be quite rude and un-helpful. I know of 3 people that have cancled there service and had problems with Verizon locally and there is prolly more then that.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I was staying in a hotel in Blaine, WA, near the Canadian border. My phone never indicated roaming only to find out that I was being charged $1.50 per minute because my Verizon phone was using a tower from across the border. I pointed out to the Verizon rep that Blaine is on the service map for Verizon's US network. It took quite an argument to get the charges reduced.

Verizon has offered decent quality in WA state in prior years but the quality has dropped precipitiously lately. Hard to find out who is better. Is there no independent organization out there that evaluates service quality?
    Ed Davis