Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon no longer lets you email Mp3 ringtones to your phone

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Andy, May 23, 2007.

1. miker

miker New Member

First of all, let me thank you wonderful gentlemen for figuring this out.

I have the new LG VX9400 (TV phone) and I was frustrated when BitPim wouldn't allow me to upload ringtones to my phone. After using the above methods I was able to get crystal clear ringtones on my phone. In case of any confusion follow these steps:

--

1. Cut an mp3 song to a 30-40 second long segment (starting and ending where I want it to). any longer than that and the file size may be too big, also calls usually don't last for longer than that until they hit voicemail. Any audio editing software will work for this...

2. If the file saved as .wav, convert it into .mp3 format with any music converter (I used 4musics converter).

3. Rename the file extension (.mp3) to .mid. This format goes unrecognized by Verizon Wireless' filters.

4. Send the .mid file to your phone via email (yournumber@vzwpix.com) - area code first, of course.

5. Your phone will receive the message and upon opening the message, the .mid will be played. At this point you can save the file as a ringtone.

--

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this thread. I thought I would have to wait a long time for BitPim to catch up to VX9400s config. Now I have my own ringtones again...Always a way to beat the system I suppose ;D

Once again, Thanks guys, and I hope my post helps others.

-Mike

2. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just want to say thanks for the tip, having just switched to Verizon Wireless I was wondering how to get some ringtones for my LG 8700. I followed the instructions given here about changing the extension from mp3 to mid and sending it to my phone as an attachment (picture message) worked great. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nenriel

Nenriel New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Can someone please tell me how exactly to change the file ext.?
    Thanks so much for this information!

4. racquetballer

racquetballer Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX11000 enV® TOUCH Ver
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW (Evil Empire) & Alltel
    Make sure you have your options on your computer set to allow you to see your file extentions. Then use explorer to find the mp3 you want. Then right click the file and rename the file with a .mid at the end. Hope this helps you.

5. ZeroCoin

ZeroCoin New Member

Stumbled across this post after the old method failed to work for me. Rename the file to a .qcp extension instead of .mid. It should work just like it used to. Did for me at least with a verizon RAZR.

6. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    ok....i am annoyed...my samsung still changes it to .qcp. i found the mp3, renamed the exr to .mid and i sent it to my phone from 2 diff email accts...1st my aol acct that i use thru mozilla thunderbird...the file didn't even come through. 2nd time, i used my gmail acct and sent from gmail.com. the song came thru, but was .qcp and it had been cut down in size.....what gives?

7. miker

miker New Member

People have reported similar failures. My brother's phone doesn't let him receive .mids or .wavs (the wav reported that it was too large, even though it was 500kb....) Perhaps some phones have built in blockers? Though that doesn't make sense seeing as my vx9400 is one of the newest verizon phones out so far...I'm afraid I don't know of any solutions. My brother tried changing it to .qcp, but verizon still compressed it to horrible quality.

8. BWalker

BWalker New Member

Well, I'm all confused. Does anyone know if Verizon is in fact blocking .mid file or did I screw something up? It sounds like some are still able to e-mail the files to their phone, but I was not able to. I did this same process about 2 months ago and it worked like a charm. I create (3) 20sec clip mp3s, changed them to .mid and emailed them to mine and my wife's phone. They took a little while to show up, but opened up and are now ringtones. Tried it again last night, sending it 3 times to my VX8500, with the same clip (I was tinkering with the name size length and file size a bit) and I get the e-mail but the attachement is gone. It even shows the size of the e-mail as the size of the .mid file (about 310kb), but no file. What is going on?

Is there any kind of hack out there that will let you take a file from your "My Sounds/MP3/ or Music" and save it as a ringtone?

Detailed steps: Cut part of the mp3 at 128 quality using Audacity to 20 sec. Size about 310kb. Change the extension to .mid. E-mailed to ##########@vzwpix.com and about 5 minutes later voila….no file. Very frustrating.

What's next? Are they going to disable the ability to listen to your own mp3s using the player? Make the phones touch sensitive to only those who pay to have their fingers officially certified by Verizon. Unreal.

9. rytard

rytard Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG VX8550 Chocolate (Red)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    i dont ever remember being able to send any email to a cell phone only from a cell phone to email

10. Guest5

Guest5 Guest

I tried it once last week and it worked, but now it's not...my phone is telling me that the message is too big. It's about 350k. What's the maximum size we can make the ringers?

11. hisShadow

hisShadow New Member

The only way I ever had success with sending ringtones to myself was with midi files, and they needed to be quite small (<100kb)
    also, it used to work to send files to your phone's @vzwpix.com address, as the file size allowance seemed to be larger, probably due to the fact that it is meant to be used to exchange photographs. now i cannot seem to get either to work now, although some friends of mine have been successful using the vzwpix address to send full-length Mp3s to their phones

12. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I usually try to get the ringer to about 300k and it would work...I haven't emailed a mp3 in some time, so I don't know if it'll still works, but 300k seemed to be the magic number.

13. Idwessmyself

Idwessmyself New Member

Thank you. thank you. thank you. awesome idea. it worked perfecty! Thanks again

14. Grrrowlguy

Grrrowlguy New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I used to send ringers to a buddy of mines LG Chocolate phone as a sound in a pix message but now he goes to save and it says no sound found. if I record it thru the phone he can get that but not my ones I upload to my Razr. It must be Verizons doing unless his settings got off or something.

15. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So does this still work?

If it does I just have a few questions, the email thing, how will that come up on the phone? As a text message? And what would the charge be? Just a normal text message charge?

Also anyone know of a good MP3 cutter program then? That is if all of that still works?

16. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's a shame you can't just buy an unbranded (uncrippled) CDMA phone and use it on Verizon, so you have to go through all these hurdles to get around the restrictions, all because what you want on your phone is "non-Verizon Wireless approved content". It's your phone and you paid for it. Who the hell is Verizon to tell anyone what's "approved content" and what not? That "non-approved content" BS is just one more excuse created to manipulate customer's purchases.

Imagine if Apple comes one day and cripples the iPod so that it only accepts music you buy from iTunes. You'll have millions screaming.

I always have people come to me (either via PM, email or personally) asking me how to put wallpapers and ringtones into their wireless phone. When they tell me it's a Verizon phone, I'm so sorry to tell them the bad news. And so far everyone that comes to me, without exception, have all been Verizon customers. Anyone with any other wireless carrier has figured out a way to put whatever they want into their phones. Verizon Wireless should change their name to "Walled-Garden Wireless".

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let it out....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Bobolito, maybe you should add a statement in your signature alerting other members that you are unable to assist them with putting ring tones, wallpapers, ect.. onto their Verizon handsets. :twocents:

18. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    LOL, well as his signature now says "My posts here are offered to you AS-IS. "

I have had Verizon for 4 years, and what Bobo said is the unfortunate truth, though. :)

19. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Hi Charlyee, I do agree with what bobolito has said, but not everyone cares about how many free ringtones or wallpapers they can put onto their phones.....I only need one or two ringtones, and would much rather have the pictures of my children set as my Wallpaper anyway......I'll take the ability to make and receive a call anywhere that I go, over ring tones and wallpapers any time. :)

20. tonedeaf

tonedeaf New Member

yes, it does get worse and worse with verizon every year....

still no 7 PM nights...

21. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So does that thing still work then? Cause I'd like to have a nice ringtone.

Ty everyone :3

22. Ellen

Ellen Guest

tonedeaf, instead of posting this in every thread, perhaps your time would be better spent searching for another carrier that would meet the requirements that you are looking for......If I was as unhappy with Verizon as you seem to be, I know that is what I'd be doing.;)

23. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
  24. tonedeaf

tonedeaf New Member

there is no where else to go...

cingular has changed it named way to much for me to go there

sprint just sucks, everyone who has it always puts this face on when I ask how the services is and they say "its OK"

tmobile ruined a relationship a couple of years back because all calls went to voicemail, I will never go back

its just to much these days

25. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  26. Ellen

Ellen Guest

I see, well perhaps this old fashioned phone service would work out better for you. Science - Can-And-String Telephone

It comes complete with "FREE" calling, regardless of the time of day!! :D

27. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    yes it is ive never had any charges or problems with it

28. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    haha if it were only that simple in modern life

29. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oh absolutely, no arguments from me there. :). The problem comes when a provider takes something away as Andy posted. On my 2 year old VX 7000 I have custom ringtones & graphics, that is not so easy to do now.

The fact that all Verizon phones come with much more capability than Verizon allows to be utilized/used is also frustrating.

For me the ability to make & receive calls together with the ringtones & graphics complete the picture.

I am very much into ringtones & graphics. I have pictures and ringtones associated with everyone that I communicate with on a regular basis.

I love to see the person's smiling face when I get a call and in the case of the Blackjack, a text message from them.

The assigned ringtones are a great help for me when I am not close to my phone. If I hear "Bolero" I fly across the room to answer it, if I hear "Phantom of the Opera", I take my time.:D.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

30. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Well, in that case, Verizon Wireless can't be that bad for you, since you are still deciding to stay with them, compared to the other carriers who have ruined it for you one way or the other or just "suck". :rolleyes: