Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon no longer lets you email Mp3 ringtones to your phone

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Andy, May 23, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    It just keeps getting better....Sometime last week, Verizon apparently started blocking mp3 ringtones to be send via email. They are all converted to a crappy sounding format- another move to make you use Get It Now and nickel and dime you to death. I am really starting to become sick of Verizon's attitude and their wasting their time and money on things they could spend on things that would IMPROVE the customer experience, not hinder it. Here's the response I received after sending an email to Verizon regarding this issue...The response is ridiculous.

Thank you for allowing me to address your concerns. My name is XXXXXXX, and I am happy to answer your questions today.

Our phones currently sold do not offer the ability to customize the ringer with user supplied files; we are unable to offer a list of phones which support non-Verizon Wireless approved content, I apologize for any inconvenience about this. The exception to this would be our PDA/Smartphone type devices, these style phones are not Get It Now capable and the user may supply his/her own Ringtones and other media.

Some software developers offer Ringtones and other media types intended for widespread distribution to wireless phone users. If the software developers do not work directly with Verizon Wireless to ensure that our customers get the highest-quality applications available via our Get It Now Catalog, we will not offer that application.

While this might have the effect of limiting access to some applications desired by some customers, Verizon Wireless firmly believes that this is the best course for ensuring that the Get It Now applications offered provide the highest quality user experience available.

It is also the intent of Verizon Wireless to provide the best equipment and services possible while maintaining reasonable security measures to protect our customers and the security of our wireless network. Verizon Wireless as a potential concern has acknowledged this issue and we are working to provide a suitable solution that will ensure the best customer experience possible.

Please consider our wide array of Ringtones available through our Get It Now catalog. To help you locate the desired Ringtone, many Get It Now Ringtones applications have corresponding websites that let you browse and preview their Ringtone library from your computer. To find out which Ringtones applications are available for your phone:

1. Visit www.verizonwireless.com/getitnow
    2. On the Top left bar click "Music & Tones"
    3. On the right side of the screen enter the song information in the "Search Music" box
    4. With these search results click on the "Ringtones" tab
    5. Choose your model phone from the drop down box titled "Select your Phone"
    This will show a list of songs available based on your search criteria.

You may learn more our Get It Now services by visiting our Get It Now website at the following link:

www.verizonwireless.com/GetItNow

I appreciate you taking your time out to contact Verizon Wireless today and sharing your feedback. Verizon Wireless is always looking for ways to enhance our service to better meet the needs of our customers. Have an excellent afternoon.

I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your concerns. I hope I have done that today. Should you have additional questions or you feel your concerns are not resolved, please call us at 1-800 -922-0204 or reply to this email, and we will address those for you.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service
    Edit/Delete Message

2. cwt341

cwt341 Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    yea i used to get a lot of ringtone offline and the place texted them to you and i tryed some the other day and they sounded terrible. i thought it was my phone so i tryed Bitpim them and they still sounded bad but they sounded better

3. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Transferring via bitpim should keep the file the original mp3 file, but now when emailing Verizon compresses the mp3 files into some horrible quality sound.

4. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    Are they being changed to . qcp? That is what I got when I sent mp3 s to my Samsung. or has something else changed?

5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, I think that's the format if I remember correctly. It sounds just awful, at least on the phones I've tried it on.

6. cwt341

cwt341 Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    well when i transfered using bitpim it still didnt sound that good and i have the lg vx8600 and it sounds terrible wen u email them

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hmm...that is strange. I will have to try using bitpim on my 8500 and see what happens.

8. cwt341

cwt341 Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    It sounds much better but i still dont think its very high quality like it was before. it still beats paying for them thought its just dumb that they did that

9. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow, another thing that makes you wonder about these carriers as they get larger, between Cingular & Verizon with their changes each few months, people are going to have a fit & start leaving.

people can only take so much of being "Force Fed" what the companies what you to accept.

I have to say, I don't know what's going to be the future of these 2 companies and how far they will go, but people need to stand up to them & I for 1 have made my voice known on the Cingular forums with their policies.

The 2 can learn something from Sprint, T-Mobile & Alltel.

10. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You know, I have let my voice heard as well with Verizon- but just "voicing" your concern really does nothing, even if they assure you that your concern has been heard, bla bla bla. The only way those two companies are going to listen is when their church goes up and they start losing customers- we need to voice ourselves with our wallets...that's the only way things will change.

11. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Andy,
    I change my ".mp3" extensions to ".mid" and they work great. You don't actually change the file, just how it looks to Verizon. It may now be blocked also, but that's i got it to work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks Bill. I just tried that and it did, indeed, still convert the file to a qcp file...This is ridiculous.

13. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I can't agree more with you, it seems that is the only language they understand.

14. NokiaKrazy

NokiaKrazy 2010. I'm still around

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Andy;

Time to get Alltel yet?

This is Verizon's way to make you buy your sounds from them.

15. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Now, they have to approve content...

Andy, step away from the Verizon phone and switch to another carrier. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    andy all those ringtones I send you are mid files. How do they sound?

17. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Those sound fine, but now even those files are converted to qcp files or whatever crap. :pissed:

18. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You know, I am still hoping for the day ALLTEL provides native service here by buying some spectrum ( I know that won't happen) or buy Cricket (which won't happen either)... I'm stuck for now. :mad:

Ed, good to hear from you! I have been considering Sprint, but my house has weak Sprint coverage (one of the only places left around here that has weak Sprint coverage) and IN Calling is still important for me.

19. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would love to have alltel as well.

20. racquetballer

racquetballer Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX11000 enV® TOUCH Ver
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW (Evil Empire) & Alltel
    Strange I just sent my cell phone an email with a mp3 (changed ext to mid) and it just sounds fine as a ringtone. I'm on Verizon in San Diego using a Verizon locked down Razr V3m. File size is 333kb. Same sound quality as mp3 (changed ext to mid) that I send a year ago.

21. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    oh i thought that Verizon completely filtered them out of all messages

22. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Interesting. I know that some phones, like one of the newer Samsungs and one of the new LGs still don't convert Mp3 ringtones to the qcp files, but from what I've heard, the RAZR converts...I don't know why some phones receive it fine and others don't because its not a software thing, but something Verizon changed in their system to filter out mp3 rings.

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah it is def a Verizon filter in the network and all the stuff they are saying about keeping their network safe is bull............VZW is out to make money

24. racquetballer

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Andy

The phone I'm using is a Verizon branded Motorola Razr V3m S/W version NEWC_01.05.0A.

I have Verizon service based out of San Diego but right now I'm on the road in Arizona. I emailed my cell phone two MMS msgs both attached mp3. The 1st MMS I switched the ext from mp3 to mid and the 2nd MMS I left the ext as mp3. When I saved the 1st MMS it saved as mid when I saved the 2nd MMS it saved as .qcp

The clip I sent was Lips Of An Angel by Hinder. The reason I chose that clip was because I have the full wma version on my phone. When I played the clip on my phone speaker I can hear the slight difference between the mid that I saved and the qcp that I saved. The qcp did not sound as good.

When I used the Motorola earphones (provided when i purchased the Music Essential Kit) there was a big difference qcp sounded terrible. The mid file sounded much fuller and as good as the full version Lips Of An Angel that I have on the phone in a wma format.

When I checked my "INBOX" and check the "Message Info" on the 1st MMS it showed Msg Type: Pix Msg Size: 334 KB (Sames size as the mp3 clip I created)

The 2nd MMS showed Msg Type: Pix Msg Size: 74 KB

Looks like some compression to me when I didn't change the ext to mid and it converted mp3 to qcp.

No compression when I changed ext to mid

#24 racquetballer, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  25. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank You for taking the time to post this detailed report. After reading it I just tried changing my extension to .mid again and sending some files and it worked flawlessly. It did not work for me the other day. This is great, though, thanks for sharing- at least for now a way to get by the filter. ;)

~Andy

26. chen86

chen86 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hello, I'm new and I was just curious what is the email address that you send the mp3/mid files to?

I've seen older topics that say you send it to yournumber@vzwpix.com but I'm not sure if this has been changed or not because I am not receiving any of the messages I sent.
    I also just upgrade to this phone today so it might have not finished transferring my number and something, so that could possibly be the reason I am not receiving the messages.

I just wanted to know if I am still supposed to send it to yournumber@vzwpix.com or some other address. If thats the correct email then it is probably just that my number has not transferred yet and I'll probably just wait for a day or two and see if i receive the messages.

27. chen86

chen86 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    sorry for double posting but I did not see an edit button on my previous post.

My phone got the email that I sent to it with a file that was changed to .mid and it asked me to save the file as .qcp but when I looked at the file info it said it was 1KB, the file originally was 1.36 MB but I have enough space for that on the phone, I believe.

So I was just wondering what I was doing wrong, or have they done it so that when I send an audio file it just changes it to 1KB of nothing. Unless the original file was too big, or does it matter which email site I send it from.

28. pchsecc

pchsecc New Member

First of all, I just want to say how pissed I am! I've talked to 6 different Verizon people from 4 different locations, and even the tech didn't know what was going on! He came back with some B.S. answer! I use freeringers.net, and have for over 2 years with no problem, with Verizon... until this last week. I was hoping that someone reading this could explain to me how to change a file extention from .mp3 to .mid . I will NOT buy a ringtone from Verizon no matter what! It's too bad I just extended my contract for 2 years before I found this out! Please give me advice. Thanks in advance!

29. racquetballer

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just PM'd you

30. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sorry I feel the pain as well as I made at least 50 ringtones a month cause i got sick of them fast. So yeah it sucks :censored: