Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon is the best because...........

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Simon5282, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

My heart bleeds for Verizon. They have to transition to a new technology. AT&T has already done this many times. AMPS > TDMA > GSM > UMTS. I'd almost say that they will have many problems as they have never really switched their entire network over in their history. AT&T should have the EDGE (Pun intended) in the move to 4G as they are experienced in restructuring their entire network. Also, with Verizon going LTE and Sprint going WiMax I wonder where all the smaller CDMA carriers go. Carriers like Alltel that rely on roaming with Verizon will probably go LTE as well making Sprint the bastard child that can't roam on anyone's network. I guess they are used to it on the Nextel side, but their CDMA customers may be a little upset when they can't roam anymore.

In the end 4G may be the one standard that will bring all of us wireless nuts togeather and instead of arguing technology we can argue which plans and devices are best. Rural coverage should increase with this technology as well because a carrier can plan on more roaming revenue as more devices will be compatible with it.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well Sprint would still have their two preferred roaming partners (Alltel and US Cellular) as well as a handfull of other smaller CDMA partners. Sprint prefers to use them for roaming rather than Verizon anyway. Sprint is having to rely on roaming less and less as time goes on and they expand their native footprint. As long as they still have Alltel and USC I think they will be fine. Maybe this will give Sprint and Alltel more reason to want to merge?

3. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I hope this doesn't happen...
    I want to see Alltel expand more, now that TPG & GS bought them.

I'm sure in the near future, probably 1-2 years from now,
    Alltel will eventually expand into some major market, like DC or Philly.

I don't think Sprint would want Alltel's spectum anyway, as it's mostly 800 mhz.
    And in many places where Alltel covers, Sprint is also there. (Except for those very rural areas) :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Larry just to say though here in the northern part of Utah for example verizon is here and alltel is not. The only other CDMA carrier that sprint could roam off of is cricket, and with their one panel per sector I am sure many people can use this. These are the only CDMA carriers here. So in places like this and there are a few they are going to be on their own in fact there are places that they still have to go off verizon so that will make them grow so they better get it in gear. That is unless alltel can win a 700 spectrum here.

5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Oh Lord, Please spare ALLTEL customers from being gobbled up by Sprint...I am praying for them already. ;)

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I agree. Alltel is IMHO the only decent CDMA carrier out there, and the only one I would even consider switching to (If they served my area) We can't put those people through Sprextel hell.

-jay

7. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I agree, Alltel is expanding faster than Verizon or Sprint...
    In the last few months alone, Alltel has added many EVDO sites in many areas they serve.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alltel bought lots 700 mhz spectrum in the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic States.

With Alltel's rapid expansion lately, I doubt they're going anywhere.

8. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would love to see Alltel and Google get a national license. I don't care who else would win what after that.

Alltel because then that way we may have the big five, and hopefully google will allow their network to be leased out to MNVO and we could have the truly open network we all so crave.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LOL! Why not? They both used to charge for that.

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This will be a post written in the year 2020 in some Internet forum:
    "Once upon a time there used to be a technology called CDMA, that used to be the dominant standard in the US. Back then, a company called Qualcomm was the main creator of this technology, which was commercialized around 1995 and soon became very popular in the US for the next 15 years. After the year 2010, carrier migration to other technologies left CDMA in the cold, taking away millions of customers from Qualcomm technologies. Soon this led to a slow decline that drove CDMA to its near extinction just a few years ago as carriers began to shut down their ancient CDMA and EVDO networks. Today, CDMA is just one more piece of history in the technology books. Remnants of CDMA can still be found in the core of newer technologies today, such as LTE and WiMAX"

Me too.... with the experience that Sprint has merging companies I'm sure don't want to see that happen. :lmao:

11. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm sure by 2020, there will be phones compatable with any technology that ever existed, and can still do almost anything.
    Not just a CDMA / GSM hybrid

I'm talking about CDMA, GSM, LTE, W-CDMA, WiMAX, EVDO, iDEN, and all past technologies (AMPS, TDMA, FDMA)
    and those we don't know about yet.

Everything, you name it, if it's there, anywhere on Earth, your phone will see it and use it.

And best of all, I'm hoping for "Unlimited Free International Roaming," on many plans offered.

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    And domestic lol.

13. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    amen:) i agree 100%

14. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Did you even read past that post in the thread?[​IMG]

15. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Of course he did that is why he agreed with me lol.

16. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Keep beating it harder, maybe it will move. (no innuendos please)

17. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Um yeah this is a family safe site I would not think of that you are the one that brought it up. Anywho lets get back on topic

18. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Nokia6555b/2.0 (03.31) Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

I dont know anything about them.

19. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Curious. LTE is IP based. How would it be any harder for a Verizon Wireless to implement it over a AT&T? Are you speaking purely from one carrier's experience in network transitioning over another?

Both core networks used by CDMA and GSM carriers today will require an overhaul. Newly acquired spectrum and build out requirements will no doubt play their roles. The level of Vodafone's involvement will also play its role. The sheer amount of cell sites needed in the transition will play a role.

I believe the edge in deployment will go to the carrier with the brighter management team and their method of execution.

The best thing is to start early and create handsets capable of both technologies. Just like a GSM or CDMA network can hand a call off to a Wi-Fi network (UMA), LTE technology will have to allow for this as well.

My primitive Curve 8320 can handoff between GSM and Wi-Fi without much call distortion and without dropping after my last SW update.

I know Verizon and Voda plan to start trials as early as 2008 to test the technology out. They'll have a couple of years to work out the kinks.

20. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes. I said that because AT&T has more experience redoing their entire network.

-Jay