Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon - Is it the Best Network?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by elgwhoppo, Oct 14, 2006.

1. elgwhoppo

elgwhoppo New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I'm sure this is an age old question, so everyone have at it.

Assuming USA only coverage, does Verizon have the best network for calls and high speed internet? I've always assumed it has.

Throw it all down people..My contract is up in January and I plan to go with the best network.

So tell me in your replies...Who, and why.

Thanks yall!

2. ian1001

ian1001 Junior Member

My Phone:
    moto razr v3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon wireless
    different areas differ. im my oppinion all in all verizon has the best network overall.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Everything in the wireless area is a compromise. You need to look for the network that gives you the best performance in areas where you spend most of your time. If you describe your roaming patterns, maybe we can give you opinions. Verizon is certainly an excellent network, probably as good or better overall than any other network in the US, but it does have gaps in coverage. If you have the bad luck of being in those areas, it is going to be a lousy fit for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I see you are in Berea Ohio, and you have Alltel, for this area they are just as good if not just a little better than Verizon, Cingular is a distant 3rd. Unless you have lots of friends who are on one particular network and want to take advantage of the mobile to mobile minutes, your best bet is to stay where you are at unless you are having coverage issues in certain places you spend alot of time at.

5. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    As a native Ohioan, I agree w/Coalminer. If you're with Alltel, that's as good as it gets in Ohio. Verizon is a very close second, though. But all carriers are subject to local conditions, and there are many people for whom Verizon is not 'the best.' I travel a lot, but only within certain areas. I was recently in Eastern OR and the UT/WY border and Verizon was among the worst, but I may never be in those particular spots again.

Also, in recent years, Verizon has capitalized on their new PCS licenses in OH to extend their network across many more miles across OH interstates (I-70, I-77 & I-80/90), and closing the gap on Alltel.

If you are satisfied w/Alltel, I would be very careful about changing to any carrier. If you're not, you need to decide what you hope to improve by switching carriers. Where you live, a change to Verizon would most likely be a wash. Besides, Alltel is much more generous w/their plans.

6. Celloman

Celloman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola KRZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Alltell is certainly best in more rural areas of Ohio. However, it can be spotty in the larger cities. Really depends on where you will be using your phone the most. Sprint also used to be pretty big in central Ohio, but I am personally not a big fan . . .

7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile Device: Nokia6010/1.0 (8.62) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Verizon, despite its small native footprint in my area, has the best quality to me. I have an Alltel phone also and the quality isn't the same 2 me. Oh well, at least I can use alltel, when I go off the beaten path.

#7 QLR, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    As for the best network overall, Verizon does a lot of advertising so they do have the perception of the best network. But I also think a lot of that is just perception because the question really depends on where you live and where you'll be traveling. In my travels, I have experienced a better built network with Alltel than I did with Verizon. From what I hear, Alltel has a very well built network in your area so I wouldn't risk switching and finding new coverage holes. Generally, Alltel also does a much better job at covering the rural areas than VZW and I've never had trouble in a metro area. Even if coverage is almost equivalent, the Alltel plans are so much more reasonable pricewise than the Verizon plans. If you do switch I think the likely reality is that you will be paying more for slightly worse coverage. If you ever leave a native Alltel area, you can also free roam on Sprint and Verizon with data roaming, basically paying less than VZW or Sprint customers to use their towers. If Alltel is an option, I do think it would be very wise to continue your service with them rather than switching because I don't think you'll find better coverage.

As far as the data goes I also think Alltel has a large advantage over Sprint or Verizon. As an Alltel customer, data roaming is available on Sprint or Verizon networks. As a Verizon customer, you cannot data roam on Sprint and Sprint customers cannot data roam on Verizon. Alltel is also expanding high speed data coverage rapidly as shown by this map with planned EVDO coverage through January. Throw in the fact that Verizon data plans are quite a bit more expensive than Alltel plans and I just think it makes more sense to go with Alltel if you have a choice between the two.

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Overall I would say that Verizon's network has a great consistency and their network is, overall, good built out in most areas they serve. Of course, just like any other carrier, Verizon will have its bad areas and gaps in coverage. Overall though, I have received high quality service across the country on their network. Depending on where you will be spending most of your time, though, another network can be much better. All networks have their weak/great areas and giving you an overall statement of who has the best coverage means nothing to you as you may travel to all the bad areas of the "best" network.

Where, in my opinion, Verizon has the advantage is that their network is built with backup in case of power outages, natural disasters ,etc. Verizon Wireless has always done a very good job after natural disasters like hurricanes, power outages, or the recent earthquake in Hawaii where it is reported that Cingular, for example was completely down for hours, Nextel couldn't complete calls for hours and Verizon worked perfectly other than a Circuit busy problem here and there.

Locally also Verizon has done great jobs during power outages where other carriers failed to supply customers with service. This is why I would rate the Verizon network more robust than other networks, because they have backups in place, more so than other carriers, at least in the areas I travel to.

10. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I was under the impression that this was a common practice for most locations. Where I live, whenever power has gone out the Alltel tower has had sufficient backup power to last at least a day (longest I've gone in recent years without power). But maybe this is only done in certain areas with certain providers??

11. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    In my area, Verizon is the only one to have backup generators at all cell sites. Other carriers have backup batteries but some of their locations don't even have that.

12. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    that about sums it up, the best is what works best for you.

13. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'll back that up too, besides the carrier that has the best network today may be dead last tomorrow for resting on it's laurels. T-mobile and Cingular are both throwing insane amounts of $ (we're talking several billion dollars a year) at their network to improve coverage. But as far as Verizon & Alltel, I understand that Verizon has the largest foot print (natively) out of the two. Also the two roam off one another so they share the same network in several areas, in your area I'd be willing to bet that both have their own network, so if you're having good to excellent coverage with alltel it's not worth switching, especially considering that the gaps in coverage (everyone's locality has coverage gaps) will probably change and the chances are they'll become more critical since you've already learned to accept the current gaps.