Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon indifference towards prepaid

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by QLR, Apr 22, 2016.

1. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    To the surprise of none, Verizon has pretty much abandoned prepaid service by making it noncompetitive vs its postpaid and vs other companies. IMO, as long as Verizon keeps adding subscribers and making money, it is no issue to them. Although the article mentions Sprint abandoning its branded prepaid service, it also has 2 owned brands to use in this space.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizons-shammo-tracfone-our-prepaid-product/2016-04-21

Sent from a telephone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JFB and dmapr like this.
  2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Altice Mobile
    They'll just stick with the higher profit margins for now...thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yep. Even in the face of a shrinking pool of potential subscribers, they'll just take the money. On the wired side, Verizon is letting it's DSL users go to cable in non FIOS areas or just selling off areas completely (CA, TX, FL).

It's the Wall Street way... Dish lost customers, but they increased their profits.

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I remember those good old days of Verizon prepaid, though. Expensive, yes. But it worked... And I didn't want a Tracfone with that ugly logo on my phone. There was no metroPCS or Cricket back in the day in my area lol

Tried it and ended up with post paid service a month later...

5. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Altice Mobile
    I just read a quote somewhere that they consider Tracfone their pre-paid offering. I think it was from a VZW investor conference call.

6. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Speaking as a customer of theirs since 2004, that comment from Verizon doesn't really surprise me. Verizon is the king of coverage (especially here in New England) and the service through TracFone (actually, their Straight Talk service) works perfectly.

7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    From casual observation around here, most of the Tracfone/Straight Talk services seem to be Verizon or AT&T based service. One of my coworkers went from Sprint to Verizon based Straight Talk to AT&T based ST. Another one has been on the AT&T based ST for years; she had one of those ancient Nokia phones until recently.

Although all four providers are available to me here, the Tracfone site leans more on Verizon and AT&T than the others.

8. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    When I first obtained TracFone service (it was the only brand offered at the time), 99% of the phones sold locally would activate on AT&T (then known as Cingular). Very rarely, would I see a TracFone model sold in a retail store that would activate on T-Mobile back then.

As the years progressed, I started seeing phones at retail that would activate on Verizon. A year or so ago, TracFone launched a new MVNO called Total Wireless (like Straight Talk, it's only available at Walmart). Total Wireless was launched on the Verizon CDMA network and it allows for multiple lines on one account all sharing a bucket of data each month.

Locally at Walmart, the phones I've seen for TracFone and Straight Talk, depending on model, will activate on Verizon or AT&T.