Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon in Fairlfield Ct...a report

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by MTS2000, Aug 17, 2002.

1. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

Well I have been here for a week now and so far I am sad to say that Verizon's coverage is NOT as good as I am used to in Atlanta/North GA. There are many places even in the town of Westport where at street level my phone has poor signal and forget about in-building coverage. Residential coverage in Fairfield has been hit or miss, the house I am staying in on Clinton street it is like -80dbm inside and -70 outside- useable, but not all that great and battery life is much less (higher power levels). I have had most trouble in Westport, where I had NO SERVICE in some areas.

Comparing to Sprint, they are about neck to neck, though Verizon has a little better service inside residential areas where I have been. But it is a far cry from what it is in the Atlanta area. It seems to be that locals are SUPER ____ about cell sites around here. Don't even see many (even along Merritt Pkwy I only saw ONE monopole) like I am used to at home.

Anyway, I guess it is just that I am used to like -50 and -65dbm anywhere from living in Atlanta metro.

2. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    If you're used to Atlanta, then of course suburban Connecticut is probably going to have more coverage problems. Atlanta is a big urban market. As far as locals be ____ about cell sites, that is very true. Where I am it seems like the only places where towers reside are on the tops of mountains and a few on top of buildings(the big exception being a huge Sprint PCS tower right behind one of the dorms on my college campus). I've had great luck with Verizon in central and eastern Connecticut so perhaps that area is just lacking in towers.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Mts2000,

Sorry to hear your experience.

I live in Northern Fairfield County, and travel downcounty daily and throughout the State regularly. Verizon is the BEST -- let me repeat that, the BEST -- cellular carrier in this part of the state. The ONLY part of the state where they don't beat all other carriers is in Litchfield County where they don't have service.

Can you find a particular address in a particular city where Sprint might beat them? Sure! But 300 feet away Verizon will win again.

I have been to Atlanta -- all too frequently. Personally, you can keep the place, but that opinion has nothing whatsoever to do with cell phones. If your opinion of a place is based on the quality of its cell service, you haven't been in CT long enough...

Enjoy your vacation.

PS: The NIMBY's are as you suggest very active in CT. And lower Fairfield County where the money is is among the worst -- although no town is exempt.

4. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

Don't get me wrong, Verizon isn't doing BAD it just isn't very good (compared to what I am accustomed to) but it is still none the less USEABLE and guess that is what matters. I will say that the coverage in some areas, especially inside homes, is much better than Sprint (at least my phone holds a call, my cousin has a 4700 and his will lose the network altogether her on Clinton St in Fairfield). I am pleased with the fact that at least my calls have gotten through, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I am clear on the no-tower situation, but some people need to wake up and realize it is a neccesary evil, I am sure with all the money around here, the number of mobile phones is pretty high, but if people want good service like we have in Atlanta (at least on Verizon) you gotta have towers. I wonder how many of the same people who vote no on cell towers also call their phone provider and complain about dropped calls and poor service?

On Atlanta, I will have to contend that this area is MUCH NICER than what I am used to and have put up with for 25 years. There is NO traffic racing down the street, have yet to see a single police car racing to a call, and overall people are nice and keep to themselves. I know Bridgeport has it's share of problems, but small fry compared to life in the ATL. It's funny, Fairfield reminds me of how Smyrna/Marietta USED to be, about 25 or 30 years ago- minus the rednecks. I have family here and always enjoy coming up this way, it is a refreshing change- sometimes I don't really care that phone service issues because everything else around here is pleasant. But don't get me wrong, not all of Atlanta is bad...there are some fine people down there, met the love of my life in East Point.

Back on the phone thing, I bet the PCS 1900 boys (Sprint, VoiceStream, AT&T) really have it rough coverage wise due to the zoning issues.

5. Vipthomps

Vipthomps New Member

I've lived in this area all my life (Near Danbury) and go to college just outside of providence. Don't know about your phone but i don't lose coverage anywhere between my house and school. There is one spot near me that is a dead zone but its a small depression and for about a half mile there is no coverage. The topography of the area is not one giant flat piece of land like Georgia. The area is full of hills valleys etc... As for the other services. Sprint is just barely usable. Cingular...forget it my father had it and ditched the phone in two weeks..(took a full week to end the contract) I couldn't be more pleased with the service verizon has in the area especially when you take into account the type of terrain you are trying to saturate with a cellular radio wave.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'd say I am not impressed by Cingular's coverage in CT. I don't think it is entirely because of the hilly terrain but also because the spotty buildout SNET created. I-95 can have better coverage. In some spots my phone RSSI goes into the -100dB right on I-95. AT&T did a much better job in NYC and NJ.

MTS2000, you are used to -50 and -65db? Wow, you are not going to find that anywhere in CT, RI, MA, NY, NJ, PA or anywhere in the surrounding states unless you have towers placed on every street corner. I would say the average outdoor dB in NJ is around -79 to -85 with AT&T. Indoors is about -83dB to -99dB unless the tower is close by. On the major highways here it is about -71dB to -83dB. You have to be within line of sight of the cell site to get a -65dB or better. So I guess batteries don't last as long here as they do in Atlanta. Again, this is just an estimated average of how the signal strength is most of the times. Another thing is that they don't use many towers here. They normally install antennas on building roofs or hide them between trees. In the Merrit Parkway, I have yet to see the first tower. They probably place them far from the road where they can't be seen. You'll normally see towers along the interstate roads like 95 or 84 and since 95 is so close to the Merrit Pkwy, they might use the same tower from I-95 to cover the Merrit Pkwy as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...