Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Holes around Philly,time to bail?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Jerro, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Verizon has been promising to fix specific coverage holes since the late 1980's.in and around Philadelphia. Pa. most still exist. Media Pa. Chesterbrook, Pa. route 202 Gwynedd Valley, Lafayette Hill. More.

How is Sprint and Cingular in these areas and other Known Verizon holes?

Where have you had poor Verizon service, OR for that matter Cingular or Sprint?

Is Cingular the way to go around Philly, yet?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    All cell companies have coverage holes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw

OF course, but often when they say they will be fixed some actually follow up. This has not been the case with these many holes since I first reported them in the late 1980's.

4. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    I rarely notice any signal drop around philly with verizon.
    brother went to villanova and I constantly travel to philly along the blue route to the schulkyll and never had a signal drop

5. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Jerro - truthfully, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better carrier in the Philly/NJ area than VZW. We're their backyard, after all. But bear in mind that no carrier is perfect, and environmental/zoning/atmospheric conditions can cause coverage holes. But to drop VZW simply because they have a hole here and there would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The other problem is the NIMBYer's that don't want towers up.
    You could try a Go Phone to see if Cingular has coverage in the area's that your having a problem, and a Virgin Mobile phone to see how the coverage is with Sprint. Basically though Verizon & Cingular will be the better bets in this part of the country.
    Do you do the regular updates on your phone to make sure any roaming partners & new towers are picked up by your phone?

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Fire, I don't think a PRL update would help in this case, because it will only make a difference if Verizon ads a roaming partner in the area, but there haven't really been any changes lately for that area. It will, however, pick new Verizon towers up, and new towers of their already included roaming partners, it will only make a difference if a new roaming partner is added.
    But it doesn't hurt for the OP to do a *228, option 2 anyways I guess.

8. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    *228 only updates new roaming partners and new networks
    No new networks in that area and no new roaming partners
    I would suggest to try another provider and not just go to another provider. With another provider you might find more holes and want VZW back.
    You can see if Sprint does have network where Verizon has a hole by doing *22803 if you can connect to a tower then you know they have coverage and hangup. Nothing will happen to your phone by doing this.

If you want to check Cingular or T-Mobile you will need to get a gsm phone to do that.

9. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Please let me clarify; my point is that despite known long time holes that, network people have stated would be fixed, they have not and are not on the agenda.

10. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't know that area that well, but if NIMBY's say no way to a new tower VZW can't do anything, but go into litigation that can last 5 years.

11. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    True, what is disturbing is that Cingular works in one of the VZW holes and has a tower near by. VZW told me that they won't co-locate. And seriously I first made them aware of that location in 1989. Until a few years ago they kept saying it was scheduled. These are not CS people they are network people and execs. You would think by now that micro cells on telephone poles would be an option for small holes. The do that in malls and airports.

12. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Ahh,...yes. VZN won't co-locate. Guess they'd rather pay James Earl the millions than invest in the newtwork. I know, I know,....I've seen the artificial "let's satisfy the shareholders / blow smoke to the public" numbers regarding their network buildout. I can't tell you the last time we added a T1 line (capacity issues) to a VZN cell site in the immediate York, PA area,...maybe 3 yrs ago ? The network is way overloaded.......hey, with Cing's 30 day trial period, why not try it. GSM sounds better anyway, unless you really like CDMA's Mr. Roboto sound.
    :loony:

13. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    So; do you still use VZW?
    Have you tried GSM in your area?

14. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Since when doesn't Verizon invest in their network?? That's news to me!

15. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Me too, didn't they announce recently they are investing about the same or more then Cingular this year? over 6 Billion dollars or something like that?

16. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Ofcourse they invest. I just don't for a moment (I think working for the wreched outfit gives me perhaps just a bit of an inside view regarding their tactics) believe that it's nearly as much as they say.
    No....I haven;t tried GSM in about 3 yrs here. I was with Cingular and got caught in ye'ole mismanaged TDMA to GSM thing....then tried GSM. Quality was absolutely superb, but yes, RF wise, coverage was an issue.
    I noticed with GSM that I didn't need "cell yell" to overcome the CDMA noise cancelling crap. Entirely suitable quality wise, for land line substitution I thought. I can't say the same for VZN CDMA. Yes, I still use VZW...contract over August 27th...we'll see then. Oh, and yes, like many others, I learned my lesson the hard way (can you say liars?) on their slamming people with 2 yr contracts, even when they promise it's a 1 year.
    I guess Ivan's bankroll is plenty big to ward off the legal beagles.

17. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Perhaps you'll see "A Tale of Two Companies". My local, CWA 3806, is on the front line of inviting Cingular Blue employees into organized labor. Here's a second report.

Please consider Cingular Wireless for your GSM provider. I am sure it has improved since your last trial two years ago.

COtech

18. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

I will consider Cing. In fact, there is apparently a small discount offered to VZN employees, but it requires working through the NBO
    I have also searched Cing jobs in the past, but there isn't much in my immediate area, and I'm not in a position to relocate. However, I know how confrontational employee / company relationships can be, and only WISH I was CWA affiliated. We're a small division of IBEW here, so good 'ole VZN crapped all over us with a recently ratified 5 yr contract. The Cing Blue folks should jump on your invite.

19. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Geeze,.....I knew this, but after reading The Tale....I really hate the company I work for.

20. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

GSM coverage has greatly improved in PA,
    even ANALOG Dead zones now has GSM coverage in PA.
    Also the analog dead zones in the backroads of Northeast PA
    now has CDMA coverage.
    These rural back roads of Northeast PA are shown as
    DEAD ZONES in T-MOBILE Personal Coverage Maps
    but it has Cingular GSM coverage.
    Of course if you don't live here it's OK.

21. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

I'm in the southeast area; 50 miles dead North of Baltimore. Pretty dense area, but I do travel around "backroads"
    New cell site locations everywhere....the most intelligent placement seems to be the ones using existing structure, like a water tower, where the municipality or whomeve owns it likely gets lease money. Kind of win / win.

22. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow, very interesting articles especially the one "A tale of 2 companies" Has Verizon responded back to this in any way, at least trying to counter the article?

23. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    Both articles are plain union BS. They know how to twist truth and misrepresent facts. My union (32BJ) does it on regular bases. They have few people that they constantly show on TV or in the fliers. And these people ALWAYS hail the Union. If anyone remembers history, Nazis would have few prisoners from concentration camp in front of the Red Cross comity saying how happy they are and how they like the "camp". That is why Verizon does not see any need to respond to that. People that know how union operates will see trough that BS. And if some people choose to believe it, you won't change their mind anyway.

24. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

No VZN responds alright. With their own brand of COMPANY BS. The VZW folks have shown interest in unionizing. BIG V does what it always does, and scares it's employees into submission. I've been praying for several months now to be laid off. I told my boss directly, that I volunteer, to save them the hassle of veiled threats and BS on my behalf.

25. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    Actually, majority of the employees voted against the union. Nobody treatened them. Union is not always the best option. Check out Howard Forum's Cingular threads. You will see how they "like" union.

26. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

In my regional area, common knowledge was that most of the VZW techs seriously entertained unionization. It really depends on what union you're going to be affiliated with. CWA always seems preferable in the examples that I've seen.
    A VZW cell site tech a few yrs ago did about 35 - 37K / yr., probably with some OT involved. In general, the PCS guys (T Mob, Sprint) make less.
    I think that's too low, but, hey,.....maybe they're content with it.

27. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Gee: When I called the thread " Verizon Holes around Philly''. I was not referring to the kind of "holes" that you 2 guys seem to be referring to. LOL

28. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I guess this did get a "little" off topic, sorry if I helped get it that way.
    So, has there been any sign of hope they are putting up any antenna or towers by you to fix these holes?

29. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    NO, NO and NO; Verizon seems to be sitting around and letting Cingulars PR department make its mark. Verizon, has not announced any new cells in the entire area.

Regards

30. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    So I guess the real question is, how is Cingular service in the area?