Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Getting Stronger in NY

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Kenny, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Verizon Wireless to Purchase NextWave Spectrum In New York
    Thursday July 8, 4:05 pm ET

BEDMINSTER, N.J., July 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless announced that it has won the spectrum license for the New York metropolitan area auctioned by NextWave Telecom Inc. today. Under the terms of the purchase agreement, Verizon Wireless will pay $930 million for the license.

The 10 MHz license is in the 1.9 GHz PCS frequency range and covers a population of 20.1 million people for the New York, New York Basic Trading Area ("BTA"). The BTA covers New York City and northern and central New Jersey, as well as Westchester and Rockland counties. The license will be used to expand Verizon Wireless' network capacity to meet customers' growing demand for voice and data services.

The transaction, subject to approval by the Federal Bankruptcy Court and the Federal Communications Commission, as well as antitrust regulatory review, is expected to close by the end of 2004.

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    WOW they got that cheap! :highclap:
    Verizon would have had to pay 2,038,316,000.00 back in 2001 :rotfl:

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Glad to see "stalled" spectrum is finally going to be used!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I wouldnt count on that, look at all of the other PCS spectrum they own and dont use.

5. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless (TDMA) - Free2Go Wireless
    ughhh.... verizon is overrated

go Sprint PCS and Cingular Wireless

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    ughhh, Sprint PCS is crap, Cingular is OK, but has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to overall national coverage and the CS leaves a lot to be desired.

7. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    While I feel CIngular has much better coverage in Delaware than Verizon, nationwide, I feel Verizon is overrated to. However, use the provider that works best for you. Customer Service: I have found Verizon and Cingular both to be really good. ATT Wireless is terrible, on the other hand.

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Verizon is overrated in my opinion to. Yes there coverage is pretty good but I've found there CS to be awful and there rate plans pretty much suck. Cingular has better rate plans and I've found there customer service to be quite good.

9. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    This is my biggest gripe about you... You've never had VZW yet you claim their customer service is crap. :p I can say we have the best customer service out of any other carrier GUARANTEED. I've done a lot of calling to other carriers assisting customers with getting their account numbers to port.

Suncom? Oh they'll hang up on you "accidently" most of the time.
    Nextel? Last time I called them I waited 30 minutes on hold
    Cingular? "I'm sorry sir we cant do that on the weekend, please call back during the week"
    Alltel... haven't had many problems calling but my Mom has had a problem figuring out when the employees of the Alltel store in Morristown, TN go to work. They seem to come and go as they please.

10. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well at least we agree on one thing. That SunCom's customer service sucks :p

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Since when did this thread become a carrier bashing debate? Last time I checked we were talking about Verizon getting spectrum in NYC. :rolleyes:

Anyway, going back to topic, in response to Coalminer, NYC is a very capacity hungry area, so I am sure they will use this new spectrum. They've been installing 1900Mhz sites using the 10Mhz they got from Northcoast in the last few months because they are running out of capacity at 800Mhz. These new 10Mhz from Nextwave will surely be put to use in this case.

12. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Good question... was being defensive about the verizon bashing in a thread labeled "Verizon Getting Stronger in NY." :)

Anyways, from what I hear VZW will be using excess PCS spectrum nationwide for the initial rollout of EV-DO... Unfortunately TN has very little PCS spectrum so I probably won't be able to put my EV-DO card to use for a while. :(