Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Coverage Gaps?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by JP, Aug 15, 2002.

1. JP

JP New Member

[​IMG]

With the recent changes in Verizon's PRLs, has anyone noticed gaps in coverage? Is anyone getting forced on to analog? I am in Greenwich and travel into Manhattan everyday and want to make sure I'm not left in the lurch.

Does Verizon change their PRLs that much?

http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm

Thanks!

2. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

JP:

I live in Stamford, and frequently drive to Long Island or Metro North into the City.

The elimination of Sprint from the PRLs here in the NY Metro area probably will have little effect on you unless you spend lots of time in back-country Greenwich, North Stamford (particularly the Riverbank section, west of Long Ridge Road), and parts of Staten Island.

Other than that, you should be fine. Be aware that in the Metro North tunnels approaching Grand Central Terminal that your Verizon signal will disappear (digital and analog) and your phone will likely roam onto AT&T analog (SID 25). Make sure your bill does not charge for roaming from "NEW YORK/A" at 0.59 or 0.69 per minute. If they do, call and they'll give you full credit.

Verizon has changed PRLs in February, April, May, and July of 2002. They have accomplished 3 primary things:

1) Eliminated Sprint roaming availability that filled gaps nicely.
    2) Added newly acquired systems and roaming partners in other parts of the country
    3) Combined multiple SIDs into larger single SIDs in some places.

Hope this helps......

3. JP

JP New Member

Easy-E: Thanks...I'll watch for charges when I hit the tunnel. The areas that you mention with coverage gaps ("back country Greenwich, North Stamford, ...")---were those out before or was that a consequence of the change in PRLs?

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    But what if Sprint didn't exist? Would Verizon coverage in NYC be as good as we all know? or would it be inferior to other carriers?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Verizon still has better service that Sprint PCS, but both carriers have their weak spots as well. BUT, if I pay more for the AC Plan than for a local plan, then we should be able to roam on sprint where verizon may be weak.

6. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

users in other parts of the country where sprintpcs was removed from the AC prl have complained of significant lesser service.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Those users must be on something. Verizon has only added SIDS to their AC program since it's inception, they have not removed any.

BTW...Verizon is superior to Sprint PCS in New York Metro. Sprint's network is six years old in that market: Verizon seventeen. That must explain why Verizon has won the J.D. Power & Associates Award in New York Metro 3 out of the last four years...

8. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint's network is only 6 years old. That means it is not aging and has newer technology. The first carrier to launch 3G nationwide! I wonder which one is better. If so many people are complaining about these coverage issues with Verizon lately, then it must be because Sprint was saving Verizon's butt in many areas and I believe that they are really having these gaps. Anyone with some intelligence will give that info much more credibility than to one single person badmouthing every other carrier without any real evidence and trying to pose as a Verizon sales guy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    bobolito

good info and something that we should think about

Jack

10. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I find it amusing that the anonymous poster is so sure of himself and is confident enough to say that everyone else is "on something".... When in fact, BillRadio posted the new PRL on his website and you could SEE that Sprint had been removed in many places in the PRL. On top of this people have mentioned that there were areas that they didn't have service that they once had service before and that they could not be attributed to a tower failure or something of that sort. Personally, after all this crap they're pulling with AC, I'll stick to my US Cellular regional plan and roam on Verizon, Sprint, and any other CDMA carrier, plus any analog signal as well, all for free within my 12-state region. Yes, I could go with a national plan with US Cellular, but I don't need coverage in all 50 states and their national plan only includes unlimited night & weekend minutes within your local calling area (no N&W while "roaming", so to speak). Anyway, VZW has upset a LOT of people by pulling Sprint from the PRL's, it seems.. and even funnier that NOW they decide to bust BillRadio's balls over posting the PRL's... something he's been doing for a good while now. SO not only are they pulling Sprint, they're trying to HIDE it too?? SHADY! [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey,

Does BillRadio have any high-level gov't secrets about UFOs, too?

12. JP

JP New Member

Cryogenic:

What is BillRadio's website? Didn't JustaLurker get in trouble with Verizon for posting the PRLs?

Thx!
    JP

13. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

JP,

Those areas were weak or absent prior to the addition of Sprint SIDs. Sprint filled in the gaps in North Stamford & Upper Greenwich nicely. Now that SPrint has been removed, the service has dropped back to its prior levels. Poor, or absent in some areas noted.

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    BillRadio can post the PRLs again in one of those free Tripod, Geocities or Angelfire webspaces as anonymous.

15. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

Actually you have no idea what you are talking about. it has been proven that Verizon has been removing a lot of roaming partners off of their PRL's. a user named Justa Lurker used to post the verizon PRL's on his website but has been forced to remove them by verizon's lawyers............i guess they didnt like the fact that their customers could actually see their shrinking coverage. in some areas the removal of sprint has made a signigicant difference in coverage as seen on various forums. this doesnt mean that verizon now has worse coverage than sprint.........overall they still have a larger network..........but that wasnt my argument in the first place.

16. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Bill Radio's website There ya go... It's actually a really good site even without the listed PRL's, though it has little pertinence to Northeast users, it's a site geared towards cellular customers in the western and mountain states.