Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Coverage at Burney Falls, Lassen Peak, and Crater Lake

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by t6821hn, Mar 10, 2008.

1. t6821hn

t6821hn Junior Member

My Phone:
    Vertu Ascent Ti Knurled
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile, Iridium
    I visited the places mentioned in the title from 2/16 - 2/20. Started at Burney, drove south to Lassen, then north to Crater Lake. Verizon provided good coverage in the town of Burney but no cell coverage was available at Burney Falls State Park. Cell coverage, at least for Verizon, disappeared a few miles north of 299/89 junction.

Heading south on 89 towards Lassen, cell coverage is available for a few miles then nothing further. Lassen at Manzanita Lake yielded nothing but snow and solitude. There was only a handful people there and most were walking on snowshoes, the only means of transportation around the park. Great place to be in winter if weather permits.

The road trip from Burney to Klamath Falls was done via 299, 139, then 39. Cell coverage was pretty sparse around these parts until reaching Klamath Falls. From Klamath Falls to Crater via 39, 97, then 62 there was some coverage. I think there was a signal available at Fort Klamath but not much further. I thought I read somewhere on this site that there was cell coverage at the Rim Village of Crater Lake but my experience was to the contrary. Basically, there was nothing outside of satellite. The view was supreme but the walk on snow was difficult at best.

Well, all in all I got the photographs that I wanted so I'm a happy camper. Hope this report helps anyone who is entertaining the idea of traveling to these locations.

Oh, I have postponed my trip to Barrow, Alaska so no report will be coming soon. I may head up there in the fall season instead.

2. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    My phone also worked quite well on Verizon on my trip to N .California / S. Oregon in August 2007.

SID 1060:
    Atop the parking lot up on Mount Shasta (and all along highway A10 up to 8,000 feet), and Lake Siskiyou near Mount Shasta City.

SID 4808:
    Up I-5 towards Ashland, OR, my phone roamed on Verizon & USCC (SID 436) near Medford, OR, both were great up there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dalbrich

dalbrich Junior Member

Perhaps Ironically, my "trick" to make calls from these locations was to switch to analog.

I've had some long phone calls sitting in the rocking chairs at Crater Lake Lodge, and been to the other locations you mention (although even with analog had spotty coverage).

Short answer is that the coverage at these locations is going away.

-Dan

PS: My 3watt booster does help, even for all-digital phones. If however, the distance is too great, the timing for digital simply doesn't work. It's the whole - I have full-bars but cannot place a call syndrome typically experienced in the mountains or on the water, or really anywhere one has line-of-sight from a long distance.

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Interesting. I worked and lived in Hat Creek/Fall River Mills in 2002 for the Forest Service. I was with Verizon then and got service just about everywhere, though much was analog. Seems coverage has not changed much, for better or worse.

I am glad they are still providing analog service in the areas where digital won't reach.

5. t6821hn

t6821hn Junior Member

My Phone:
    Vertu Ascent Ti Knurled
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile, Iridium
    I should clarify that there was no digital coverage available as I was using the Samsung A795. My Motorola M800 is too bulky to bring on a plane so it was left at home.

I'm sure there was analog coverage but I didn't have the equipment to test. I'm actually relying on my Iridium phone for coverage rather than carrying the bag phone with the amp.

Thank you everyone for your input.