Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon/Cingular Help

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by MASlabs, May 8, 2002.

1. MASlabs

MASlabs New Member

Hi,

I am looking to get a National Plan but I do most of my calling from Maine, Vermont, NH and MA. I currently have the discontinued Verizon NE plan for $35 which they desparately want me to change to the new America's Choice plan since a lot of my calling would now be considered roaming in Maine and Vermont. I also want to add a second phone for my wife at a reasonable rate. I was looking at the Cingular National Plan for $30 bucks which I would get 2 of 1 for my wife and 1 for myself with the bonus night and weekend minutes it would be more than I need. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and if all calls in the states of Maine, Vermont, NH and MA are included as only minutes or are there some that might not be as the new Verizon's plan now is. Also I like the Nokia 3360 and its price that is offered with the Cingular service. The verizon phones always seem behind the times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

STEVE

ADDED Friday May 10th:
    Wanting to make sure that Cingular has coverage in Stowe, VT/ Smugglers Notch area as well as Waterville, NH area if anyone out there can give me your experience with Cingular in these areas it would be great. I have had mild success with Verizon but am now looking to go to Cingular depending on coverage.
    Thanks again everyone for the response and keep them coming!!!!

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The Cingular Nationwide plan is no long distance or roaming anywhere. It is not like Verizon's America's Choice plan where you have to be on a certain network.

If you are happy with Verizon service though, they do still offer a Nationwide plan that includes long distance and no roaming anywere.

Do be careful of the America's Choice plan, because like you said, if you happen to live in an area where you're just out of coverage, then this plan definitely wouldn't be for you.

I do agree with you about Verizon phones though..They definitely need to beef up their selection. With the introduction of the 1X network and BREW, I think we'll see some new handsets coming on the market in the next few months.

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Verizon does have the National SingleRate Plans which is no roaming or long distance charges anywhere in the US however they are pretty high the plans start at $35 a month and only give you 150 anytime minutes a month. You get no Night and weekend minutes with those plans. Cingular's Nation Plans are much better.

4. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Cingular nationwide plan are one of the best right now.

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    as far as a true nationwide plan they can not be beat. no one offers the # of minutes combined with night/weekend minutes

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

The Cingular Nationwide plan is no long distance or roaming anywhere. It is not like Verizon's America's Choice plan where you have to be on a certain network.
    ----------------------------------------------

Users are required to stay on the "Cingular Network" for at least 50% of their respective usage in three consecutive months, otherwise the carrier reserves the right to 'change' the classification of the plan.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

states of Maine, Vermont, NH and MA
    ------------
    IF Cingular services this region under their own tower system, then I would not forsee any problems arising out of your using the handset within this region. I would definately contact them to find out about this prior to establishing service, just to prevent any unforseen problems. As for roaming 'charges,' you would never incur any while under the National Plan. But as stated above, there is a quota system in place to check users roaming on a habitual basis. The flags for this are minimal, as they only come to the attention of the carrier once you've gone beyond the 50% limitation in a three month 'consecutive' span.

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Most Carriers have that with the roaming included plans however it seems to only affect a small perchantage of users. You should be fine with the Cingular Nation Plan.

9. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Dan, I agree that it is hard for a carrier to acknowledge a customer that using more minutes roaming than in his/her calling area, but it not going to be such a big deal with carrier that has alot of coverage in the U.S., because the customer will be using coverage in some markets that they covers. Most carriers like Verizon, AT&T and Cingular could stand to offer plans like this and still make profit.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

If this is any help. I just got cingular's nation plan. Thought it was a great deal! We also have a verizon phone--now whether it be the phones strong signal or not --(verizon phone=motorola cingulars=ericsson t60d) can pick up a cell with verizon better than cingular. We live in western in Mass. Cingular will pick up a cell but it flip flops from analog to digital and from their network to the extended network. Going to try to get the motorola v60t for cingular and see if it makes any difference, or maybe the difference just lies in cdma vs. tdma for the area in which we live. PS tend to roam a lot with verizon in this area of Ma

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Just cancelled cingulars plan..too bad...thought it was such a great deal....but as stated in previous message we couldn't keep a cell. Did a little traveling with both phones one from cingular, one from verizon; mostly back roads--not where there is much coverage to begin with...verizon won. Also--supposedly verizon has an agreement with sprint for the AC plan--and that is verizon can roam on sprints towers--with no extra roaming charges for verizon customers. A lot also depends on the phone model, the v60 picks up a strong signal as well as the timeport for verizon, the samsung sch-n150 didn't do much. As for cingular used the ericsson T60d, didn't do well.