Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon cancellation fee - waiving?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by pfp, Oct 13, 2002.

1. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Hey, I remember I saw a thread about this recently.

As I often mention, I'm employed by a Cingular agent at this time.

I recently called to cancel Verizon service. They say I'm in a two year, as far as I remember, I signed a one-year, but that's hardly the issue.

I wish to cancel my service, I remember a thread showing up about finding a way to cancel without the early termination fee. I was curious if anyone had any good ideas about handling this. I apologize for reposting this thread, but I don't at all remember where it had appeared previously.

Thanks for the help, if anyone can offer any.
    Pat

Edit, something I found

Saw somewhere I can state I'm moving to Japan or doing missionary work in an underdeveloped area. Would the fact that I called to try to cancel cause a note to be put on my account and have them deny me the right to discontinuation because of this, or if I say I'm going somewhere, do they just have to believe me?

P

2. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Thanx for the info. Not necessarily the advice I'm looking for, but good advice nonetheless.

May just do that.

Still swear to god that I signed up with a 1 year commitment.

P

3. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

I say fight it. The termination fee is a lousy way for a carrier to rip you off and hold onto you. Fight it all the way, especially if youy say you signed on for 1 year and not 2. Don't listen to our Verizon cheerleader here. You can fight anything if necessary. It can't hurt.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

If you really committed to one year, I'd argue with them and ask for higher ups.

5. thisisme

thisisme Junior Member

RIT,

did you sign up over the phone or did you sign up in a store? if you signed in a store, you should have a receipt saying exactly what it was the you signed up for. i think that would be proof enough if you decided to fight it.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Here's a "noble" idea:

If you can't find a copy of the contract you signed for one-year or two-years, then you must have signed a two-year like they said you did, since they have a copy of your contract on file.

Why not "suck-it-up" and be accountable for your own actions and try not to "weasle-out" of your end of the agreement? Afterall, that was your part of the agreement, correct? They give you a better deal on the price of the phone and clear the activtion fee when you "belly-up" and committ to two-years. Seemed like a "swell" idea then; probably saved about $60 out of the gate?

I realize in today's society so many people don't want to be accountable for their own actions (always lookin' for a "loophole"), but "dare to be different" - "go against the grain"; and, be accountable for you own actions and live up to your end of the agreement. Enough said...Cheer!!!

7. pfp

pfp Senior Member

That's part of the problem. Being a college student, I've moved once since signing on. I'm in the process of moving again, and right now EVERYTHING I own is in storage.

I know I bought the phone at Radio Shack, does anyone know if I would've signed the agreement in the store or done it by phone given that fact?

Thanks for the confidence and support everyone.

Now, last question: Now that my account is noted that I'm looking to cancel, does anyone know if they'd think it fishy if I called and said the reason was that I'm moving off the continent and won't be able to get their service?

P

8. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Hey Moderators, if this post is just flaming off, fry it, okay? Just wanna vent this out...

Why don't YOU register so you can be accountable for your own posts so I might lend some credibility to things you say in reference to things you've said in the past! If Bob, Jack, Emag, or Zaphod told me to just bite the bullet, I'd probably listen to them, because they've proven repeatedly to have worthwhile information and be valuable to the forum. I've considered listening to Herbrock, because at least he has some credibility. And frankly, I do believe in being accountable, but frankly, I also agree with companies being involved in Customer Service, even when they're not a customer anymore. If for some reason I'm ever in the market for a cell phone again, I'm not going back to Verizon if I have to pay to get out this time.

I'm considering just paying up and being accountable, but frankly, I mostly agree with jmccrane, that, "The termination fee is a lousy way for a carrier to rip you off and hold onto you." It's one of the reasons that I push one year contracts in my store.

Pat

9. jmccrane

Ah, ok. I used to work at RadioShack. There were 3 copies of the contract you signed (white, pink, yellow). The pink copy went to you, white went to Verizon, yellow went to RS files. The contract should clearly indicate the term for which you signed up, in 2 ways.
    #1: A box should be checked indicating contract term.
    #2: A price plan code (5 digits) is on the contract. It reflects contract term and plan. There's no way to interpret the code though unless you ask someone at Verizon what it means. The codes change every time there is a new promotion (2-3 months usually).

If you can't find your copy, the RadioShack where you bought the phone probably will not have their copy in the store. However, it does not hurt to ask to see what they can do for you. Unfortunately, RS computers don't keep information such as the term of a contract on their systems.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

11. Meanee

Meanee Junior Member

Calling them up and telling that you are going to another country on emergency family business for 3 years worked when I closed VoiceStream for my customer. No cancellation fee even that she was still under contract. Try it

12. Guest

Guest Guest

So you lied in your customer's behalf? They must have been awfully impressed with your service. Did you lie to them, too?

13. thisisme

thisisme Junior Member

What's with the negative attitude, he did a customer a favor. He was being HELPFUL. The customer probably has a real problem and he helped the customer as best as he could.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

He's a "helpul" liar? That's better, I think. Besides, it's just a fib - nobody got hurt. Fibs are fun! C'mon everybody!

15. jmccrane

By the way, I know from working at RadioShack that Verizon gives the same commission to RS whether a customer goes 1 year or 2 on a contract. So Verizon doesn't get burned a bit by having a customer cancel in year #2.

16. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Most carriers do not come out of the red on an activation until about 10 months into a contract. If you consider phone subsidies (about 100.00 per phone NOT INCLUDING REBATES), commissions for the sales channel that sold you the service, network cost (figure in about 7 cents per minute for actual cost of airtime to the carrier, NO AIRTIME IS NOT FREE.) The change of many carriers going to two year agreements, is simply a financial reason (Not just a lousy way to keep you in their service.)

If you have a strong desire to disconnect your service and do not want to pay the termination fee I might suggest you tell them that you will return the phone so that they can resell it. Some carriers will take this instead of the termination fee.

Othwise pay the disconnect fee and be done with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. nextelguys

nextelguys New Member

i work for nextel and i have a friend who works for verizon direct and the best way to get out of the contract is to complain! it works. juse call up and state that ur just not getting service and u have to go outside ur house to talk on the phone and u dont get reception anywhere just complain till they cant take it anymore and if they try to just get rid of u just ask to speak to a superviser and complain to them!give it a shot

18. nextelguys

nextelguys New Member

by the way i have only seen this work with verizon not any other service

19. jmccrane

OK, #1: Verizon pays either a commission to a non-corporate dealer OR subsidizies the phone...NOT both.
    #2: Verizon pays RadioShack $200 regardless of contract. That means that on a cheap plan, Verizon makes that commission alone back in 6-7 months, less than that on plans $40 and up.
    #3: 7 cents is an overstatement for airtime, especially for nights and weekends. A plan where someone uses 3000 "free" nights/weekends would cost $210 to the carrier for that month (check my math on that somebody, but I think that's right). As you can see that simply is not possible...all carriers would be broke if people used even 1000 n/w minutes per month.

20. Meanee

Meanee Junior Member

Think whatever you want. I help CUSTOMER with their problem. I won't turn customer away without trying to help.

21. Thumper

Thumper New Member

About 6 months ago I dropped my wireless service with out having to pay for the $175 cancellation fee from AT & T wireless after about 10 month in to a 2 year contract.

I complained that they changed the contract service agreement by changing the price of the 411 call from $0.95 per call to $1.25 per call. I had to drop the service with in one month of notification insert was sent in my bill statement.

Try that and good luck. Gary

22. jmccrane

You can drop service if the carrier changes a policy that would make you pay more for any reason. That constitutes a break in the language of the contract, whether the carrier advertises it or not. Therefore, if any fees go up, or you are forced onto a more expensive plan, they have already broken the contract and you have a right to opt out penalty-free.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

early termination fees are not justifiable, and therefore might not support a court challange. Someday someone will make a challange and probably win.

24. RyanS

RyanS New Member

As of about 3 months ago I know that Verizon was letting people out of their contracts because they changed their contract with you ( i think it might have been the way they billed overage minutes)...Im not sure if its still an option for you but you could try that it might work.

25. jmccrane

I know that at least in Cingular's contract it actually reads that you can opt out of the contract without penalty if they make you have a "greater financial commitment." I'm only assuming that this language appears in other carriers' contracts.

26. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Last I looked at that, it had to be handled by Aug. 31, but I could follow the complain philosophy.

Now, I think I'm going to leave the country on emergency family business for an unknown length of time. I'm expecting to only have to be out for about 8-14 months, but since that's only an estimated time period, I'd rather just reactivate at this time.

P

27. Guest

Guest Guest

right and the consumer loses because the phones are no longer subsidized. the contract/early termination fee off-sets the loss taken on the equipment. so if you are correct, and this does happen in the future, then the consumer will pay another $100 - $175 per handset over-and-above what they are paying today. it's like the Framm oil filter guy once said "you can pay me know or pay me later".

28. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Guys, I regret to inform you that I won't be on the board for a few days.

I have some emergency family business and am being forced to head out to Berlin for an indeterminate length of time, quite possibly up of two years. Once I arrive and get back to a computer, you'll see me start to post again.

Later
    P

29. Guest

Guest Guest

the only way you can get out of a contract with verizon wireless is if you are in the military and you got orders to move overseas or to an area that verizon does not have coverage. however YOU MUST PROVE THIS BY FAXING IN A COPY OF YOUR MILITARY ID AND A COPY OF YOUR ORDERS and dont think you can fax in fake copys there are a ton of former and current military personal working for verizon and they will know a fake when they see one. or if not sure they will call the base you say u are moving to or stationed at and check up on you.

-has worked for verizon wireless for over 2 years and been a customer also

30. jmccrane

I think this is a part-scare tactic from a loyal employee. There are ways out of every contract, but even if there weren't, the wording of this message is obviously meant to be a threat or to scare potential "contract-jumpers."

I'm sure someone on here can prove that they got out of a Verizon contract without a penalty and without being in the military.