Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Auto A & B

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Joe0378, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Verizon Auto A & B

I live in NYC and I am on Auto B and have no problems. In 2 weeks I will be traveling to Orlando, FL. Would I leave it on Auto B? Also, why would someone want to switch to Auto A and vise versa?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    "I think" (but I am not sure) that it has something to do with the market the user is currently in and whether or not Verizon is the "Bell" company in that area ("A") or is just a wireless carrier ("B") in that area. I'm probably wrong, but it sounds good.

(I'm sure glad I'm with ATT and don't have to worry about this matter.)

3. jason

jason Member

My recollection on this is when you are in an area in which neither the a side cellular nor the b side cellular (plus none of the pcs bands) are in your preferred roaming list (PRL). Thus, you have a choice of two equally non-preferred systems. To decide which of these systems to select, your phone will always select the b side carrier when it is set to auto b. In nyc, and in most of the usa, Verizon and its affiliates are the b side affiliates. However this is not always the case - like in Miami where the a and b side cellular carriers are Cingular and ATT (though not necessarily in that order). However, I bet VZW has worked out a more favorable deal with one of the carriers in that market so you can get analog service there.

jason

4. waycath

waycath Junior Member

I know if you need to travel to outlying areas or if you live in an outlying area Verizon will usually be the best carrier to use. But I am glad that I am a city boy who travels on the interstates to major metropolitan areas and T-Mobile/Voicestream works for me. Auto A, Auto B, PRL's, on AC network, off AC network. It sure seems to confusing to me.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Who cares about Voicestream, this thread isn't about that company. Blah blah blah, voicestream 24/7 here anymore. Joe, I leave for Florida tommorow, and have Verizon, I get back next Friday, so if you are on here, I'll let you know how it goes. I am sure it will be seamless. For Delaware, Verizon is 'B' and it used to be the bell around here (Bell Atlantic). I do know that if I set my phone to 'A', it is still Verizon. Only if Verizon is super weak will A be sprint (and that is when I am in San Fransico or wherever).

6. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Me^^ Dunno what happened.

7. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Thanks Airb300. Have a good trip.

8. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

Ok all.... Here's the complete skinny on Auto-A and Auto-B...

AFter the PRL finds NO match, your phone should use the same side carrier as your HOME SID. Verizon Wireless customers have an EVEN SID most of the time (B-side), so the phone should be set to AUTO-B. CT and some NC/SC customers have ODD SIDs (A-side) and should always be set to AUTO-A.

Most systems will recognize the validity of a phone from the same side of the band, when a partnership is absent. The v60c and v60i automatically select AUTO-A or B based on the NAMs programmed home SID.

Remember, A-SIDs are odd, B-SIDs are even. Always easy to tell what band you;re on if the PRL has selected it for you, just by asking your phone to display current SID. Most PCS SIDs are 4000 series numbers, A & B being irrelevant.

So, like Ronco says late at night with the help of Julkie from The Love Boat.......

"Set it, and FORGET IT!"

9. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Thanks EasyE for the info.

10. Jackson

Jackson Junior Member

I have Verizon in Florida, the Tampa area. Orlando is in the same SID area. The area is PCS and in Orlando the PRL goes to SPCS then to an analog AT&T. AT&T is "A" side in Orlando. The PRL list will take care of this for you. The only time I have had a problem is when I was in southern Georgia last week, and with the PRL list removals in the area I was having problems with signal. So I called Customer Support and they told me to set the phone to Auto-A to help pick up the Price Communications towers. She also said by the first of the month there will be a new PRL list to take care of this problem. I hope this also takes care of the Atllel buy out of Centurytel in Arkansas, Louisanna, and Mississippi.

11. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Ah yes this is good to know.

12. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Jackson..when you say the PRL will know which to use...that means I can just leave it on B when I go to Orlando and I am fine then?

hey Kenny. I love that pic. =)

13. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Just to let you know, she's not naked -- that wouldn't be right...she's wearing a thong.

14. Jackson

Jackson Junior Member

Yes I have playde with mine in Auto-A and Auto-B and have experianced no difference in who it will pick up. I would keep it Auto-B and let the phone do all the work.
    Have a great time and don't let the RAT take all your money

15. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yep, I am off today! I will let everyone how Verizon performed in Orlando.....might go to Busch Gardens tommorow in Tampa, so that'd be a good test for them. I can't beleive damn Busch closes at 6pm on weekdays!! Thats SO lame, all the parks are closing SOOOO early this year. It's BS. Joe check em out....they *all* are closing an hour or 2 early(3 with Animal Kingdom) this year (compared to 2000).

16. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Wow, the parks are closing so early? I guess they had really cut-back on staff and thus the hours. But i betcha they're still charging the same admission rates, right? I hope Pleasure Island still has that wild and crazy nightlife...it may have lost some of it's "sting."

But the Fantasia show with Mickey will still go on, right? I think that starts at 8pm. I was there last year and saw the Fantasia show on our last nite there....great ending to a DisneyWorld trip!
    Wow, guess when I returned home last year? Sept 10!

17. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Yea I know. I leave Sat the 24th and the parks close early..esp on weekdays. That is retarded, esp. if the passes I already purchase are the same price.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Joe,

See my earlier post..... If your home market is "B", set your phone for Auto-B... If your home market is "A", set your phone for Auto-A...

Just "set it, and forget it!!"

Florida, Hawaii, Carolinas, California.... irrelevant. The vorrect setting is determined by your home carrier being A or B. It reallyis as simple as that =)

To Jason: The 2 available carriers may not be in the PRL, but that does NOT mean that they are both "equally non-preferred". Your phone will easily use the SAME SIDE SYSTEM as your home A/B with no problems in 99 of 100 markets. Try both! In some areas you'll be able to use both systems. But where you can't, the one that will nearly ALWAYS work is the same side as your home SID:

A side SIDs are odd
    B side SIDs are even

Let me know how it goes!!

19. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Just "set it, and forget it!!"

No, not that simple. Like I said in another posting, in areas like mine the other carrier(US Cellular in this case), is not in the PRL for this part of California(SID 1075). If you leave it on Auto-B, which is the standard setting for this area, you will end up with no signal in many areas of the two counties(Lake and Mendocino), due to Verizon's spotty coverage. They are in the process of putting up 12 news sites here, but that will take another 12-18 months, and there is no Sprint to back you up. So, in this area, it is best to leave your phone opposite the standard setting(Auto-B)to Auto-A. To make matters worse, if you have a local prefix(367,972)US Cellular blocks your call and sends it to the American Roaming Network, thankfully, I knew this and got Sonoma County prefixes(just to our south)and calls go through and are received with no problems. If you are in an area like mine, where you get no signal on the standard setting, switch it, you might end up getting coverage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Is CDMA the only technology where the user needs to worry about carrier bands and roaming databases? I would think that CDMA had more advanced techniques for the phone to find its carrier when the user travels. In my TDMA phone, all these functions are fully automatic and transparent to the user. No need to set anything or update any PRL or dial any numbers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

I had my phone on B mode and it says digital roaming if I'm not in NYC.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

When your home in NYC, dial *228 SEND. This will go to auto-program. You never have to manually switch between A and B - your phone will automatically switch when it needs to. *228 SEND (nothing more to ponder)...