Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon/AT&T to swap assets

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by EdwardP, Dec 8, 2007.

1. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Verizon will be acquiring some former Dobson properties and AT&T will be acquiring the northern Vermont Unicel network. Verizon will be keeping the license for southern Vermont. AT&T is also selling the CellularOne brand.

AT&T press release

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 3dguy

3dguy New Member

I read the article and I still have one question; Does this mean Verizon is just sharing their network? Or does this mean they are buying parts of dobson( Cell One)? I have verizon, but everyone and their mother here has Cell One( in Erie,Pa) Does this mean it will be AT&T from now on or over time, verizon will take over? Thanks.

3. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No, Verizon will not be sharing their network with ATT. When ATT bought out Dobson, they were required to give up certain areas where both Dobson & ATT owned the cellular band (areas in tx, ky, ok). Verizon bought Unicel and they now owned both the cellular bands in northern VT and northern upstate NY. So, to meet FCC divesture requirements they are going to swap spectrum w/ ATT in those areas. Both companies will pick up spectrum in markets that they do not currently/barely serve & theyll get the govt off their backs.

In your area, ATT will just take over dobson/cell one. There will be no change to Verizon in Erie.