Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon and Rural Iowa

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by sc0ttm0, Jul 23, 2007.

1. sc0ttm0

sc0ttm0 New Member

I have been shopping for phone service recently. Currently I use a local provider, Cellular 29 Plus or Lyrix Wireless. I checked the verizon website (they do not have a retailer here (Red Oak, IA area)) and they said they did not have service here. I did have a verizon data card for about a month this year, and it worked fine. The guys at Sprint said I could use their data card here as well. So what is the deal? If I ordered a verizon (or for that matter a sprint) cell phone, will it work down here, the salesmen in the kiosks say yes, my cell 29 person says no, not as well. I used to use US Cellular, and unless you wanted to stay still, it didn't work very well. I would stick with Cellular 29, but I need a new phone and they won't let me get a free one without a new 2-year contract.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. maximus

maximus Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Cellular 29 and US Cellular are the only carriers that provide coverage outside i29 in your area. Sprint is ok on the interstate but will end up roaming on either US Cellular or Cellular 29.

If you were able to get Verizon somehow (ie giving them an address in an area they cover) you wouldn't be able to get a phone number thats a local call from your home.

3. sc0ttm0

sc0ttm0 New Member

So the service may be comparable, but the phone number would not be local. Wouldn't they be using my current number anyway?

4. maximus

maximus Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    They might not be able to port your number.

5. sc0ttm0

sc0ttm0 New Member

Okay, then let me ask you this,

Since all I want to do is get a new phone, and since I have all the accessories and hands free and bluetooth for my motorola V710, I may as well just go and buy my own phone. The only problem is, Cellular 29 wants $200 for the phone when it looks like I can buy it on ebay for around $50. What then do I buy for a phone. Most ads say they are us cellular or verizon or cdma etc. Which should I buy?