Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- verizon/alltel service problems

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by redstorm, Apr 8, 2008.

1. redstorm

redstorm New Member

I'm with verizon, and live in the middle georgia area...I usually get great service everywhere, but ironically at my house the verizon signal is more or less non existant. It's to the point where I constantly miss calls, or drop calls. Now there seems to be an Alltel tower close by because when it switches service to them, I have full bars.

I don't mind the roaming if it means I can actually talk to the people I want to talk to, is there any way to force my phone to use alltel's tower? The phone is a LGVX8300

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    You could change the NAM, but before doing that there may be a simpler way. What is your zipcode? We can figure out which frequency each are in. There is a good chance alltel and att are the 850 and vzw the 1900. In the programming menu you can set it to 850 cellular...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea zipcode will help. im in GA also, i will know the area. its possible that either Alltel or ATT will work there, Verizons coverage in GA is generally good, but i think that ATT has vastly improved just in the past 2-3 years beyond what many Verizon customers realize.

Also Alltel's coverage has always been good in GA but is often overlooked, mainly bc of the fact that they do not have coverage in Atlanta (native or non-roaming coverage that is). ATT however has always been known for Great Atlanta coverage.

Anyhow.. thats just a short summary of info. if we get the zipcode we should be able to help give you a little more specific suggestions, as well as knowing where your traveling about.

4. redstorm

redstorm New Member

The zip code is 31027. I generally get very good service everywhere except at home as I live a good ways out in the country.

5. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Okay, do this...

Press : Menu + 0 + 000000

Then Network Select

Then Band preference, select Cell only instead of Any.

Then that should get you on Alltel.

Though it may vary.

It will take a little bit for it to register with the network. Then it should stay on there. I would reccommend going back to that menu and setting it to "Any" instead of cell only when you are in an area where you know vzw covers well. I'm not sure if the settings stick when you turn on and off the phone though, so keep that in mind.

If that doesn't get you on there is another setting change we can try as well.

It's the same thing except you also change the "roam preference" also under network select. Change that to affiliated and have it set to cell only. That should also work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Wirelessly posted (XV6600 and Blackberry 7250: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10406/298; U; en))

in many areas the vzw has coverage they will put alltels sid into negative so you will be forced to stay on their network, ironically if you were to get a phone that doesn't perform as well it will often not pick up the weaker signal, and switch over to alltel sooner

7. redstorm

redstorm New Member

It still switches back and forth between services pretty regularly. Thanks for trying though. For future reference though, the settings stay as you left them if you power the phone off then on again.

8. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hmmm, well thanks, so it even does it when both "Cell only" and "Affiliated" are set?

9. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The last option it to change the NAM SID.

Go to Service Prg. instead this time. (Menu + 0 + 000000)

press ok, then your phone number should show up, press ok, then your MIN should show up (write this down), press ok, then your nam 1 sid should show up just press ok (don't change anything until we reach the second MIN), press ok again, then it will same nam 1 basic programming completed. now select "more" not exit. then press ok to service code (should be all zeros), press ok again to the MCC, press ok again to the nmsid, press ok again, press ok again, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok (this should be the "NAM 2 setting"), press "Edit",

Press ok, then type in your phone number, ok, then put in the MIN you wrote down, ok, then put the Alltel SID in (which we need to figure out, it's either 520, or 204, or 1148), ok, ok, Exit

Then the next thing you need to do is go to menu, Settings, system, network, set nam, select nam2.

Then after that it restarts and you need to go to menu, Settings, system, network, system select, then select "Home Only".

Now it should be set.

You will not have to do this every time. In the future all you have to so is change the NAM to nam1 and back and forth when you need it. (menu, Settings, system, network, set nam, select nam2/nam1.)

10. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    when you goto AT&T Coverage Viewer you can see the ATT coverage out there. it is probably on par or better than verizons, depending on where in that zip code that you live.

11. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I actually think they are looking to keep using verizon, just to force there phone onto alltel's good signal at their house....it's easy to do once we figure out the SID that the op is roaming onto from alltel it's one of the three i mentioned above.

12. redstorm

redstorm New Member

That seems to have worked, many many thanks. :)

13. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No problem....no we just need to get you to "come and get the love" from alltel. LOL....no just let me know if you have anymore questions/problems with it.

14. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Thanks for the programming tip! It's sweet that the Lg phones are easily manipulated. I just stuck with the cell only option and the locked out sids as needed.

15. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No problem. Yeah I like LG's programming. Its simple and easy. Just wish they offered a flip phone worth ditching my KRZR for. Signal is important to me too. And while they are very close, the moto's edge out the lgs slightly still.

16. MetroSingular

MetroSingular Banned

My Phone:
    At&t Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    At&t, sprint, T-mobile
    Having two or three bars in a house, or building is really not that bad. I don't really know that much about Verizon or Alltel. Because both of them :censored: in my area lol :)

17. Thomas B Young

Thomas B Young New Member

My Phone:
    HTC PPC6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, formerly with Cingular One and Verizon
    Well Redstorm, maybe your problem will be over since Verizon has just taken over Alltel . It will be a year from now from what I hear for it to be approved by the government.

I'm an Alltell customer in Florida and just got a letter from them saying that Verizon is merging with them. Really I hear that Verixon just bought them out. I had good service with Alltel. Looks like Verizon has more of a phone selection.

Tom:D

18. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Assuming the OP is in Laurens county, then VZW has a cellular 850 license for that county according to the FCC license search. If VZW is forced to divest Alltel's license, then there wouldn't be any improvement to VZW.

The FCC shows both AT&T and Alltel on the B side for that CMA though--it looks like AT&T maybe in the north and Alltel in the south. The FCC even lists sites for those licenses--VZW has two in or around Dublin, while Alltel has one at the courthouse.

19. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    how do you read all that? when i goto the FCC website i feel cross eyed.

20. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    One of my buddies is a Sprint RF Engineer and he said the same thing.

21. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Even thou Verizon is buying Alltel they have to run as competitors until the official close which will probably this time next year.

Does Verizon have a 50/50 roaming rule? Will the OP face ETF roaming on Alltel to much in a Verizon native coverage area? Just a thought.

22. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's

highly likely

23. Joe912

Joe912 New Member

My Phone:
    Razr Maxx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (past US Cellular, Alltel, At&t)
    I have a similar problem when driving from Uvalda GA to Vidalia GA on HWY130/135. I get a great signal from Verizon in Uvalda and Alston, but as I get closer to Vidalia the signal starts to fade but there is just enough Verizon Signal to not allow my phone to switch over to Alltel or Sprint Roaming until I get into Vidalia. Sometimes it stays on Verizon for a while in Vidalia and doesn't want to pick up the Alltel or Sprint towers. I have an LG Voyager & LG 8600. Does anyone know of a way to force the roaming? I know that when and if Verizon & Alltel merge this will not be a problem. The zip code for the Verizon tower is 30473 and the Alltel & Sprint towers are in 30474. Thanks for any help... :)

24. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    If I recall correctly, Verizon doesn't allow any Sprint roaming in most of the state. If you can roam on sprint, you may want to try accessing the programming menus on the LG and force the PCS option ... Try searching the forum, some posters have posted some LG hacks. I have dialed *22802 to force AllTel signal and immediately made a call afterward. That's crude but it has worked for me.

1 person likes this.
  25. Joe912

Joe912 New Member

My Phone:
    Razr Maxx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (past US Cellular, Alltel, At&t)

Thanks Quint101 I tried the *22802 and it has worked a few times :)

26. george cannon

george cannon New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel
    Problem : Flashed official stock rom for r760 for uscc cellular to an alltel phone then flashed the correct alltel stock rom now its stuck registered as user@uscc.net instead of alltel so no data.. calls and mms working fine... I just started as the tech at a local phone store and I wanted to help a girl out that had stock gingerbread and I wanted to get her rooted and custom recovery like I did on my epic 4g ..now Its been 3 days its her only phone and she is quite angry with me which is understandable ... I usually never have this many probs .. but I messed up... This is very important to me I will buy her another phone if necessary but they are around 100.00 and I don't have that much money atm .,.. I do have some money I can offer anyone of you guys for your trouble through paypal donation or whatever.. I am just looking bad since I am the phone tech and new and cant seem to get her data working... I did go into the service menu by using *#*#4636#*#* but I don't know the code to put in so I just backed out and decided to plead to the mercy of you guys... Look I know your develepors and level 4 techs and extremely busy .. but if you feel like saving my arse I would be extremely appreciative and sing your praises for years to come .. which I do anyway.... please let me know what my options are besides purchasing another phone...

things tried so far: Tried to set repartition option in odin but of course it wont work I guess without the pit file etc... I have to jellybean update that I got from alltels sight and stripped from the simple update tools to get the tar file... the reason? im using windows 8 and it doesn't work so I just use odin 3.0.9 ... If someone can tell me if I can fix it with the service menu thatd be great... Ive called both alltel and Samsung but unfortunetly I seem to know more about their stuff than they do and they wont patch me through to the developers they say they can only email you guys .. Of which I understand because I know you guys don't have a spare second...anyway please guys help me so I don't end up losing my newly found job and have this woman kill me for screwing up her phone...

name of the 2 tar files....
    first uscc flash.... filename = CODE_SCH-R760.FL26_CL1113489_REV02_user_low_ship_for_upgrad e.tar
    second flash .... filename = CODE_SCH-R760X.GB28_980103_REV00_user_low_ship_for_upgrade. tar

Attn Mods:: Please if I posted wrong I apologize.. and I appreciate all your hard work... I am just sooo busy that I don't even have time to properly aquaint myself with the proper... rules etc..