Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon adds cell sites along I-75

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Andy, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Verizon Wireless has built five new cell phone sites along Interstate 75 in North Florida between the Georgia state line and I-10.

Verizon officials said the new sites will provide improved service for residents and travelers along I-75.

"In addition, they will help improve public safety in many situations, such as evacuations during hurricanes or other emergencies," said Pam Tope, Florida region president of Verizon Wireless.

Customers using BroadbandAccess, Verizon's business data service, will have average download speeds of 600 kilobits per second to 1.4 megabits per second.

Verizon has now invested more than $1.6 billion to improve its Florida network over the past seven years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2007/09/24/daily31.html

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

This will be great with my future travel plans.

3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    :clap:Sweet!!! Nice to know that Verizon decided to actually put its 1900 licenses to use. Folks won't have to have a data plan to use VZNavigator or other GIN services... maybe an expansion into Valdosta and other Alltel areas is imminent.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    So I assume Verizon relied on ALLTEL to fill in their interstate coverage gaps in those areas?
    I figured this would interest you, Quint, lol.

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Yeah in fact when you posted this we talk ed about how much Quint would like this lol.

6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If only they'd push beyond the state line... i guess with time, they will. And yes, Alltel is the primary roamer in our region along with Sprint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, according to their maps, they finally pushed across the state line on I-75! Verizon has Valdosta as native service and EVDO high speed. From what I can tell from the maps, they also connected Thomasville and Valdosta via PCS sites as well.

I havent seen any press releases as of yet, but it should come out any day now ;) I entered a 31601 to see whether they offer service... no dice yet. I dont think they would launch a new network with EVDO without selling the service.

Perhaps Alltel was making a killing off of Verizon in Valdosta since all other companies have their own sites... building sites was worth it to Verizon. I am just glad that they are not sitting idle anymore :)

Nice job Verizon... where will they go to next?

8. bambam

bambam Junior Member

They also added some sites in the FL panhandle along US 98 between Tallahassee and St. George Island ( Eastpont ) .

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I saw that... I wanted to go camping there to test out the service... but my church decided to go to Madison instead :(

At least Verizon is expanding in Florida, slowly but surely :) I remeember when only Tallahassee proper had EVDO... Evdo died at the county line going south.