Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verdict? Bay Area Service

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Bluetorch, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Bluetorch

Bluetorch New Member

I've been reading all the posts regarding T-mobile, Cingular, and AT&T this past week, and it seems like service has indeed improved with Cingular with T-mobile not far behind. My question is, which provider is #1 at the moment in terms of coverage/reception for the Bay Area? It still looks like AT&T TDMA has the best coverage.

So, my next question is, with all companies focusing on GSM now, would it be smart to switch now to Cingular or T-mobile or stay with AT&T. I still need good service since I travel quite a bit around the Bay area, and I don't want several months of poor service with Cingular/T-mobile just to jump on the GSM bandwagon.

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If you are happy with AT&T just stick with them. I'd say most likely Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage is the bay area, but I don't really live there nor have I ever been so I can't say.

3. biglaw11

biglaw11 New Member

Yeah, I have AT&T here in the bay area and a lot of my co workers have Verizon. No complaints from them whatsoever. So yeah, the verdict:

#1/#2 - Verizon Wireless and AT&T

#3/ - Spring

#4/#5 - Cingular and T-mobile

-biglaw11

4. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

My impression

1) Verizon / ATT

2) T-mobile / Cingular

3) Sprint (sorry Larry ;-)

---

Bluetorch:

if you get of the beaten path stick with ATT. However, if you mainly go through developed areas you should also be fine with T-mobile / Cingular.

---

C.

5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    When I visited last month, Verizon was pretty good. On 1 (that scenic road near ocean) I had service alot of the times (sometimes analog) but I had service in the middle of nowhere!

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I am an ATT-loyalist. But I can tell you that Verizon has wider coverage. But it won't matter to you if you don't use the 680 frwy between 580 and 24. ATT's coverage is spotty there because of the hills and because of NIMBY.

7. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    I was on Hwy.1 last week between Fort Bragg and Westport in Mendocino County, and surprisingly, I had service most of the way, until I got just out of Westport onto Branscomb road going to Laytonville. And there are some pretty remote places along there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Socal, when you were on 1, was it Verizon that had most of the service? I just was really surprised that they had such good coverage out there.

9. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Yeah, surprisingly, it was mostly Verizon. I only wish they'd have that kind of coverage further inland. I think they cover Hwy.1 so well because of all the tourists that travel it, which is great for them, but most of the residents of Mendocino and Sonoma County live inland, away from the coast. Verizon currently has the worst coverage in Lake and Mendocino Counties, US Cellular having the best, and Edge(AT&T network member)Wireless having the 2nd best. They are putting up 12 news sites in Lake and Mendocino Counties, but it'll be another year or so before they are up and active.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

I just also posted this reply in another thread...
    I have had Cingular in the South Bay since around 98 when it was Pac Bell and I have just decided to switch to AT&T TDMA. After 3 or so years of only having 1 bar at my house and constanly having "no service" while all my friends with AT&T had full signal I finally could not take it anymore. Looking back I cant really believe I stayed on this long...
    I used to think of going to TDMA as taking a big step backwards from GSM but what good are the features of GSM when your phone wont even get a signal. Right now coverage is the most important feature to me.

11. Bluetorch

Bluetorch New Member

Yeah. I decided to stick with AT&T. They have great coverage and reception all over the Bay area, and especially Berkeley. No sense trying to fix something that isn't broke right? Hopefully service does improve with the GSM providers, and I'll think about switching again then.