Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Ventured Into "The Walled Garden"? Please post your experience.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Feb 8, 2013.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    No it is not constant at all. That's what is more frustrating to me. Sometimes it's smooth and instantaneous but not always.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Strange. Never seen that on any iDevice, although my exposure to 5 is limited. It's very typical for my phone though :)

3. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The screen is extremely legible in sunlight, although I havent had a need to use it much outside.

One other minor irritation, the screen brightness is perfect for all situation except in a car at night on dark country roads it is too dim. Since it is perfect for most times I didn't want play with the settings.

Still liking it.:)
    I am just spoilt by how smooth and the fast the Lumia 820 was. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Here is a quick hint. Quick double click the home button. Slide the icon tray all the way to the right. You'll see iPod buttons but also screen brightness settings. Can do a quick adjustment without leaving your app.

99 percent of the time I see no lag. If a app is echoing from the web, I can understand that.

The screen brightness comes from the low reflectivity and double the light output compared to an OLED screen.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    How about that, thanks viewfly this will come in handy. :)

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    1 person likes this.
  7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    One thing I have worried about is how delicate and fragile the iPhone 5 looks and feels. Not being a case person I have a bare minimum, ultra thin clear shell on it, which offers a little protection to the back and sides.

So yesterday, the phone slipped out of my hand, the top left corner hit the wood floor and then landed squarely with the screen side up. :(

I was petrified and hesitated looking at it after I picked it up. It was fantastic to find out there wasn't any marks or blemish anywhere on the phone or the case and all the functions worked as well as before. Upon closer inspection I found out that there was actually a dent on the floor where the corner hit. :D I know I lucked out in how it fell but the device is much tougher than it looks.

I am happy although I still miss the Live Tiles, the FB/Tweeter integration, and the speed and accuracy of the keyboard from my 900 and 820.

8. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Word from experienced phone droppers is that iPhone 5 is a remarkable improvement over 4 & 4s in that department. Not quite the original iPhone, but a pretty good one nonetheless.

1 person likes this.
  9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, that's good to know. Although I am not a habitual phone dropper (knocks on head) the iP5 came across to me as very very fragile compared to my last 2 Lumia and perhaps the 3 Androids prior to that.

10. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Have no data on those other device, don't know any habitual phone droppers on non-iOS platforms :D

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    For what these 'tests' are worth. iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3.

But seriously the Al will dent and chip but the screen is better protected than the 4. The lighter weight helps too.

I know that first drop feeling all to well. Lucky Charylee!

[video=youtube_share;6M5q5TRuAsY]http://youtu.be/6M5q5TRuAsY[/video]

http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test-116898/

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    One more plus...my girlfriend is in China right now. We unlocked her AT&T iPhone 3GS and she got a Chinese SIM and we can iMessage one another for "free" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 people like this.
  13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I just came back from vacation, my first overseas trip with the iPhone. It was a very positive experience. Some of the features/capabilities I specially appreciated are:

1. The battery life - spent some days inside forested mountain terrain and very spotty coverage, but that didn't impact the battery life as it is usual.

2. The signal strength was excellent and as was the capability of latching on to wifi. Typically I was the last to lose connection and the first to get it back.

3. The built in Do Not Disturb

4. The GPS working without cellular or data coverage to show present location

5. iMessage (with a local data card)

6. The ability to use the Blogger app and save it locally until wifi was available.

There are a few more but these were the ones that I appreciated the most.

Overall I know understand what "it just works" means!

Good grief, I am turning into an "iPhonie" :D

3 people like this.
  14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The GPS works without cellular on? Didn't know that, thanks. :)

Seems like it was a successful trip in many ways. Curious about the Blogger app.

So how do you travel with the phone? Temporary case? I always feel the worst danger for my phone is airport security, either for loss or damage. I started placing the iPhone in my shoe (the shoe being on the belt going through x-rays). So the shoe-iPhone has been born. Haven't had any comments yet.

BTW, was able to use my PassPort with Delta on my recent flights. Worked as expected.. Between the PassPort, the Delta app and Kayak, I was pretty well over informed about what I was doing.

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I thought all recent phones worked this way? I've had phones that updated GPS location with cellular off. Airplane mode couldn't be on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I never gave it much thought, since my GPS is always on. It seems to be true...the locations is done, but how do the map details get transferred? I know that the Apple vector graphics are saved off line to some level of resolution and scale (iOS doesn't have off line map saves- some app do however). But if I move from the US to India, aren't the map graphics lost? That has to come from cellular or wifi data.

I'll check it out today.

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I took a screenshot of the map with the phone in airplane mode, I shows my position perfectly but as a grey dot as opposed to the normal blue dot.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366814914.084130.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366814877.418108.jpg

Keep in mind I had looked at the route maps the night before with wifi on, so the map was cached I am assuming.

I believe you don't have to take your phone out if it is in your purse, briefcase, backpack etc. I haven't taken mine out of my purse in the last few years that I remember. My husband had his in his backpack though I can't guarantee that it was on. I am typically allowed to keep my iPad inside my carryon as well although a couple of the airports have asked me to take it out.

1 person likes this.
  18. JWA

JWA New Member

:biggrin: That pretty much sums up my experience with it. Kinda refreshing to have one less thing to direct your attention to. Glad it worked well for you.

1 person likes this.
  19. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I wasn't aware that Google Maps had caching, but I just looked in my (2.3 Android) phone and there is settings in the G-Map app to "allow caching over wifi only and/or cellular". I guess it would be the same possibility for G-Maps in iOS and other mobile OS as well.

I guess it's a "smart" way to download maps of areas that you frequent rather than downloading a huge map file to store locally. However, if you are going to a place where you won't have a data connection and you have never been before, then you are SOL. When I had my Nokia N95, I could connect the phone to my PC and open the "Map Manager" and select country maps to download locally to my phone (for Nokia Maps, not G-Maps). That was really nice.

20. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I could download locally Nokia maps on to my 900 and 820 as well. The only problem I found with this is that it has be the entire country and not by State, Province, or area selectively.

This can become a huge file depending on the country. Since I usually know basically the routes I am going to take, it is easier for me to just look at the route for the day prior to leaving the lodges and that stay cached.

I don't see any settings in Google Maps for off line caching option so it must always happen.

21. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I was about to say microSD cards are pretty big and cheap now-a-days, but oops, I just rembered WinPhone doesn't allow for external memory cards, do they? :( Good idea to cache your route ahead of time tho :cool: How big is a country map? On my N95 I think "average" size countries like France was around 30MB or so, but the resolution wasn't very good.

In my Android 2.3 phone, I open the G-Map app then: Settings -> Offline and Cache -> Automatic Caching and then choose between "Wifi Only" or " Wifi or mobile networks". Are the options different in iOS or WP?

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Some WP phones do allow SD card support, my 820 had it and so does the 720. Unfortunately at that time maps could not be installed on SD card, it was meant for pictures and videos and perhaps documents(not sure about documents). I do not know if that has changed now. When I checked, the map size for India was 322 mb
    I don't remember about WP but here are the options for Google Maps on iOS
    photo.JPG

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah, I remember this now. I think last summer or so, Google offered 'off-line' maps...different from cacheing. But not in iOS. Charlyee and AnthroMatt are right: my friends told me this before...they don't use data, but the GPS just works on it's own- this works because of off-line mapping saves.

iOS maps offers more extensive 'caching' than Android google maps, but most people would prefer off-line maps to load up before they go or leave the country. See discussion here Interesting read for Android and iOS. At the time of the writing, the Apple vector map graphics gave a huge zoom out capability. The trick is to zoom in to your region first, and the rest is taken care of...just the opposite from what you may think.

However, there are some iOS apps that offer off-line maps. I tried 'Cartographer' which discontinued this year. But it seemed slow and awkward to me. Galileo Offline is another App, its also free, but I have not tried it yet.

Yes, I'm always allowed to leave my iPads in a briefcase/shoulder bag. However, I carried my non-screen protected iPhones in my front pocket, and placing it inside a shoulder bag, is a dangerous maneuver. That is where my keys,money, wallet, belt and other things I stripped off went to. Hence the shoe story. ;) I really just need a felt bag to place the phone into, during the trip through the metal detector. Women already have this figured out with their shoulder bags...

1 person likes this.
  24. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Even on as "Googly" Android as it gets (Nexus phones) the G-Maps off-line use does not apply everywhere. When I was in Spain I was not able to save Seville map for offline use. Not that it mattered to me, since I bring my trusty old N8 on trips with me for exactly this reason -- excellent offline map support. I believe the full set of maps comes in at just over 8GB, but I have only downloaded slightly over 5GB. Most of the states in the US, most of Europe & Russia. I'm pretty happy with the map resolutions, too. The following is not even at max zoom and you can clearly see a decent 3D model of the Seville Cathedral :)
    Seville Cathedral.jpg

The MapDroyd program I tried has full offline map support too, but the maps are not nearly as detailed and there's no navigation.

2 people like this.
  25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    "Googly" is a batsman's nightmare in cricket. :D
    BBC Sport - Cricket - The googly explained

I hope your experience with a Googly device has not been a nightmare :evillaugh

Back on topic, interesting that you couldn't save Seville map off line but the Nokia maps are great and much better than any other. The resolution is fantastic, thanks for posting your map experience.

26. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Oh yes, I vaguely recall some Jerry Seinfeld commercial where he mentioned a "wicked googly". No idea what the commercial was about :D

No, no nightmares with my Nexus -- but then I've never used it to play cricket :p

So on the Android maps I just go into the menu and choose "Make available offline". It then tells me to zoom/pan and once I select the area it tells me how much data it'll need to download, then if I approve proceeds to download it. I can then manage my offline areas in "My Maps".

27. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    That sounds like some "wicked Googly" stuff :p and a good improvement from the basic "Cache: yes/no" option on my 2.3 phone (you have 4.0?). But I still prefer the option to select country maps off-line like in Nokia Maps.

28. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    All pretty useful stuff to know. My preference has been to keep cellular data on while overseas and just buy a data plan. That way I get all the useful features of a maps program, such as POI's and info (phone numbers , reviews) and detailed street names. ATT roaming data has become pretty cheap for 2 weeks that it is not painful; more than that, and local sim data packages are inexpensive too. I used Brightroam last year in France and England for that, as needed.

29. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    4.2.2 to be exact, but the options is there on the 2.3.6 Nexus One as well -- check to see if there's an updated map app for you. But yes, I prefer truly offline maps, which is why I was trying out the MapDroyd -- only to find it to be marginally acceptable.

30. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Doh! I just looked closer, and I do have this "Make Offline" ability :eek: I tried it out and it works, but you can't download a big country map (like eg.Nokia can). The max size allowed was around 80MB, and that was about the size of Paris (including a little area outside of it). But even then I got some kind of memory sotrage problem (or something like that). Since it didn't ask if it should have to my (mostly empty) 32GB micro-SD card or internal memory (which is mostly full) I assume it puts the downloaded map only on the internal memory? I tried a small town (1MB) and it worked fine.