Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Ventured Into "The Walled Garden"? Please post your experience.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Feb 8, 2013.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Fellow Forumites,

Those of you who have switched to iOS from another OS (Win Mob, Symbian, BB, Android, WP etc), please post your experince. What you liked and what you didn't.

This switch can be recent, when the iPhone first came out, or anytime in between.

If you have moved on to different OS from iOS, please also post your reasons why.

There are many iPhone users on this forum, so I hoping to get all of your participation.

Thanks much. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 charlyee, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I have switched from BlackBerry to iPhone to BlackBerry then back to iPhone. Then had a brief stint with a Galaxy Nexus then went back to iOS. I was looking for something new and the Galaxy S3 was looking exciting, so I bought that. Used it for maybe 2 months. Sold it and went back to iOS. I don't see iOS as a superior OS, I view it as the mobile OS that works best for me. I was a crackberry addict with the 8700 through the 9000. When the 9700 came out on AT&T, I bought that because I was so excited for the new trackpad. However, I was plagued with crappy build quality, 4 in a row. Then finally traded the 4th 9700 in for an iPhone 3GS (mainly because I read that Apple had awesome build quality). And it was true. My iPhone 3GS didn't squeak, creak, or have any uneven buttons. It was nearly physically perfect. The OS worked fine for me on the iPhone. It did everything that I needed. I could send a text with ease, reply to emails, browse the web, and it had great battery life. I wasn't looking for customization, hack-a-bility, etc... I was just looking for something that works. I went to Android both times because the OS and phones looked exciting. I tried both of them and wasn't really impressed with the battery life when compared to my iPhone. It had a lot of features like the iPhone, but I just couldn't get used to them (and I already had the entire iOS ecosystem, so it made sense for me to stick with it). That is why I came back to iOS after Android.

3 people like this.
  3. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have had various Smartphone devices over the years. I have used Palm OS, Windows Mobile 5.0, Windows Mobile 6.0, BB 5.0-7.0, and Android 2.2-4.0.4. I have been using Android Devices for the past 3 years. My most recent Android device was the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX. I did try out the 4S last year for only a week and found the OS to be nice but the screen size was too small for me so I returned the device and continued to use my MAXX.

Here is my experience switching from Android to iOS. During the past few weeks my RAZR MAXX was starting to really act up. I would dial my voicemail and when I tried to type in my four digit pin to check my voicemail, my phone would not let me and decided to freeze on the screen. I first thought it was just a glitch, so I did a soft reset and that seemed to fix it. Fast forward three days later and it did it again. And then the cycle repeated (every 3 or so days it would freeze when trying to use the touch pad while in a call). I knew it wasn't due to any new apps that I have downloaded or updated. Eventually this along with the phone slowing down (it would get some moderate lag) about half way through the day, I decided it was time to try out a new OS.

I did some research online and read about the new Blackberry Z10 that is coming out soon. That phone looks promising, however due to it being a completely new and improved BB OS, I decided to wait and see if it takes off and gets more developer support behind it down the road. I then decided to look at WP8. While it does look promising, Verizon only has a few phones to choose from. I did, however, like the Lumia 822 that I played around with at Verizon. Most of my apps that I use on a daily and weekly basis, however, are only on Android or iOS so I decided to wait on WP8.

I then decided to look at the iPhone 5. I went into the Verizon store last week and played with the iPhone 5 for a while. The OS seemed fast, responsive, and the larger screen (4" versus the 3.5" 4S) helped win me over. I then bought the iPhone 5 and a screen protector/case/car charger bundle and left the store. Below are the pros and cons for both operating systems (I have used both my RAZR MAXX and iPhone 5 when comparing both operating systems).

Android Pros:

• Widgets
    • Open source OS
    • Multiple levels of customization
    • No iTunes or other program necessary to sync the device

Android Cons:

• Apps tend to have bugs in them (battery drain, etc) if not properly coded
    • All of my Android devices over time seem to slow down with age (whether I only have a few apps or several apps)
    • A soft reset (and sometimes a hard reset) is needed to fix problems or to speed the device up if it starts slowing down throughout the day

iOS Pros:

• Smooth OS
    • Wifi speeds are faster on my home network than they were with my MAXX
    • Higher LTE speeds while in the same areas as my MAXX

iOS Cons:

• No Widgets
    • Less overall customization
    • More steps needed to do things (making ringtones on iTunes, syncing on iTunes, attachments when sending emails)

So in conclusion while I do miss certain features found on Android (widgets, multiple levels of customization, ease of use to do things (add pictures to emails, adding ringtones)), I find that my iPhone 5 is smoother, more responsive, and has not frozen a single time (so no soft or hard resets have been needed). It also made sense to try out the iPhone 5 since I already have a iPad 3 and iPod touch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    6 people like this.
  4. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Technically I entered the "Walled Garden" when I got my iPad almost 2 years back. However, I hardly ever played it with it and basically used as an ultra portable laptop that I could connect to work without lugging my archaic work laptop around.

I came from a succession of different OS, but I have never gone back to any of them as of yet.

Most recently I came from the Windows Phone, my WP phones were an easy decision, I am a fan of Nokia and WP was a brand new OS, the perfect combination in my eyes.

The first was Lumia 900, great phone with the legendary Nokia call quality and reception. There were few items that I needed but figured it was brand new OS and upgrades will take care of it.

The first disapoinment came in the form of MS/Nokia announcing that the WP8 will not be happening to these devices, ok fine still no big deal, after all a reason/excuse to get a new phone. :biggrin:

WP8 came along and I picked up the 820, and seemed like both MS and Nokia had taken a step back in terms of harware and software. There were many new items but it seemed like twice as many were taken away, something as simple as the Counters app was gone. I kept hoping that upgrades would fix these and the Portico update came right on schedule. Unfortunately nothing worth mentioning was added or fixed.

I was hopefully for BB Z10, but it seemed starting out it is just playing catchup with the established OS.

So I decided to try the "known evil", The IPhone. :D. I do have to say that so far I do like it and the reception and call are a very pleasant surprise as is the speakerphone. The seemless syncing between my three devices is an added bonus. Although I am not too crazy about iTunes and the number of steps needed to get ringtones in it.

The features I was missing are all there and more, some of the more critical ones are:

The Data Counter
    Do Not Disturb Mode
    Ability to use Docs To Go with full editing capability
    Ability to edit emails prior to forwarding or replying.
    Banking Apps

What do I miss from WP?
    The Live Tiles
    The built in combined Facebook and Twitter app.

Until WP makes some major improvements I will try to get settled in the Walled Garden and enjoy myself. :coolshade

6 people like this.
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well, my special iOS App sent a notification that there was a 'great disturbance in the Force' recently. Enjoy your stay into the Wall Garden, however briefly it may exist.

I am somewhat surprised as I thought most would migrate to a larger S3. I'm very much enjoying my slate iPhone 5...I was able to sell my ATT unlocked 4S on eBay for $530 last October. Not too shabby. Was able to do the same for my daughter's unlocked 4S too.

I think most of the 4 or 5 supermods that switched over to the iP5 are already familiar with iOS on an iPad devices, so that had to make the transition smoother, and allows you to enjoy WiFi photostream, music and app sharing easily.

Gamer03, besides picking photos from the Photo App for emailing, you can create an email, hold a point in the email body, like pasting, and then there is an insert photo and video option. It's one at at time, like my Gmail web mail, but the insert can be done multiple times.

Charlyee, I don't know of an integrated Twitter/Facebook app, but you can turn on both in Notifications and this allows you to make quick posts.

I also learned of a way to force my MacBook Pro to auto answer FaceTime...so I can check on my dog from my phone. ;)

Enjoy the romp inside the wall. I'm loving LTE, it is more prevalent than I thought, and it actually runs faster than my house Wifi router!

Best,

Viewfly

3 people like this.
  6. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I didn't know that, Viewfly. Thanks for sharing it. That will save me time now when I am sending pictures within emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Gamer03, another tip:

If you download the Apple App 'GarageBand' onto your iPhone (or iPad), you can create custom ringtones (iMessage Tones,etc) or import your songs from music library and edit or modify them and then save them as ringtones right on your iPhone. They will also synch across your other iOS devices too, via the iCloud.

No need to sync with iTunes on your PC/Mac, or make them there.

I downloaded a free web CBS Amazing Race theme song to my Mac iTunes and it WiFi auto sync'd to my iPhone via Itunes iCloud Matching. With GarageBand on my iPhone, I then added some reverb and large room affects, and then I converted it to a ringtone on my iPhone. It takes a little figuring out, but these sources are helpful. You shouldn't need the Apple iCloud Matching, but I have that turned on. Songs will synch without it, if you have that option turned on.

Ringtones on iPhone 1
    Ringtones on iPhone 2

Also made my own custom ringtone with the guitar strings in GarageBand.

Have fun!

Best,

viewfly

#7 viewfly, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Good tip, viewfly. Will certainly make my life much easier.

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks viewfly for all the tips. One question for you, can you recommend an app that will upload pictures from the phone to the Picasa Web Album?

Thanks much.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I've only used the Picassa web page, and made a shortcut of that on my iPhone. But even that I haven't used in years...switching over to iPhoto, personal photostreams for sharing, etc.

sorry, not much help there.

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi viewfly, no problem thanks. I posted the question over at Macrumors and no one replied.

So what is the best/easiest way to share an album with someone, without Picasa?

Thanks again.

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I believe there are some non-google Picassa apps out there.

But without Picassa, the coolest is 'shared Photostreams'. This is different and in addition to 'My Photostream'.

Apple - iCloud - New photos on all your devices.

Basically you can share selected photos with selected individuals, and they may view them on their iOS devices, or the web. They don't need a iOS device to view them.

I shared some photos with my brother, across the country. Entered in his Apple iD and they started loading up on his iPad, after he accepted the invitation. People can make comments etc.

Very easy to set up..and no set up on the other persons(s) side. Very easy way to beat the 1000 photo limit...and also get photos from your iPad/Mac to your iPhone, or the reverse. You can add or subject at will.

Share select photos with a select audience.
    With Shared Photo Streams, you can share just the photos you want with just the people you choose. Select photos directly from the Photos app in iOS 6, iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac, or even a Windows PC. Enter email addresses of the people you’d like to share with (or add new photos to a Shared Photo Stream you’ve already created).

Thank you for sharing.
    If the folks you’re sharing with are using iCloud on an iOS 6 device or a Mac running Mountain Lion, they’ll get a notification to view your pictures right in the Photos app or iPhoto. If not, they can view your photos on the web. Your friends and family can comment on your photos, which could spark some compliments on your sassy new haircut. Share as much as you like: Shared Photo Streams don’t count against your iCloud storage, and they work over Wi-Fi and cellular networks.

1 person likes this.
  13. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the tips, viewfly.

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Well, I am still here and past my 14 day return. Considerng I have $75+ invested in cases inspite of not being a case person, I guess I am not in a big hurry to leave.:)
    For me this was one of reasons for getting the iPhone 5, most phones are just too big and 4" to me is the ideal size. I am enjoying being able to use it with one hand.
    Same here, AT&T was two months ahead of schedule and the speeds are higher than my WiFi.

1 person likes this.
  15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Good show Charlyee...if you are buying cases...you are hooked for a bit longer. I favor the Tones from Switcheasy. No screen protector. Only a Moshi, if needed, but almost never.

I have to say your speeds are far better than mine, here in Boston

1 person likes this.
  16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was on a quest to get a case that protects the back and the sides but doesn't look like I have a case on it. So I settled on the Caze zero 5 in transparent and the Spigen ultra thin air in white. At some point I am going to order a transparent Desmay New Slight. I had a generic frosted case from BB initially. No screen protector here either.

I am very happy with the speeds, the uploads are specially beyond my expectations.

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I had a series of really thin cases like you mentioned..the ones that are polycarbonate and 0.3mm or so. They were really slick.

However, since I like to change cases around, I found that they can't handle that repeated on/off cycle over time. I also just go 'naked' in the garden, as we say (that is the reason for the wall :)). Also, I finally decided that if I use a case, i needed to protect the top and bottom.

I have to admit that the looks are nice, and I'm forever tempted.

VF

P.S. Maybe someone should make a case in the shape and coverage of a fig leaf. ;)

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    No kidding, my Caze 5 case cracked at the bottom corner within 2 days of use. I only took it off twice, once to get a piece of lint out and another to clean off a smudge.

I have left it like that, I can't go back to a heavier case after using something so slick.

I only use shell cases that cover the bottom and sides since that's all I worry about mostly.

[​IMG]

#18 charlyee, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Battery life!! I was just working somewhere that my Arix HD would have died in 4-5 hours (very poor signal, very mountainous, rural area). My iPhone 5 was at 42% when I got back to the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 people like this.
  20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Indeed indeed one of Apples strengths in OS development over the decade is superb battery life.

21. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Agreed, it does have very good battery life specially compared to my Androids. I can't say the same compared to WP, both my Lumias the 900 and 820 had the same battery life and at this point a tad bit better since I am still playing with my iPhone. :coolshade

22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That is good to know and perhaps should be: the volume/mAH fractional increase is larger than the the screen size increase, assuming the screen is the major consumer of power.

23. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Agreed, so basically the efficiency of the OS as it relates to battery consumption is the same in both OS.

Between the two Lumias, the 900 had a larger battery but the 820 has a higher rated talk time. I suppose WP8 Is more efficient than the 7 series.

Back on topic, I like how the battery usage is shown separately on iOS.

PS: Completed my first month in the "walled garden".

#23 charlyee, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That not what I'm actually concluding, but its unimportant. If a company can make a device in a physical size that people like and that gives good battery life that is all that matters.

On topic again. One month. You'll need to change your Tapatalk signature. ;)

25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    lol viewfly, the iPhone is a mobile device after all.

Couple of items I am having some difficulty with are the screen sensitivity and the keyboard shortcuts.

The screen is less sensitive than the Lumia 820. It's definitely quite responsive but not as much as the Nokia.

The keyboard shortcuts are quite frustrating, they work intermittently. Having done a search it looks to be a common problem and the solutions are generally temporary.

Hope a software update will fix both of these issues.

1 person likes this.
  26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    If all gardens were the same that would be no fun. Lol. Interesting observations.

I don't use the shortcut feature so I have no experience there. Harder for me to remember a shortcut :)

I use to read the change in sensitivity was from the new screen technology. That change reduced the screen reflectivity,even below the Lumia's. But really I don't notice the screen sensitivity anymore. When I do it seems app dependent, although that is not a rigorous study. I don't notice the P and Q problem. It's more a 'go' button in safari that is frustrating occasionally. I just tried notepad and can't determine any problems. But yesterday in a website I couldn't select my state from a web easily.

iPhone is a good shortcut for 'mobile device'. ;)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I love the shortcut feature, I first had it on the BB 9700. I only have 6 or so in the there, the most common words I generally abbreviate anyway, eg "mfg" for "manufacturing".

I am glad the screen sensitivity is a real issue and not a problem with my phone.:) You are absolutely right it is app dependent, I notice the lag mostly in GroupMe and in iMessage.
    Lol, Yet another item we will have to agree to disagree on viewfly, Mobile Device it is. :biggrin:

28. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Not to take it off-topic, but I'm curious -- what is the screen sensitivity you're talking about?

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was referring to the the lag from the time I touch a key to the when it responds.

30. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    You mean it's constant? :)