Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Van Wert Ohio GSM again

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by Cailiff04, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    found some coverage maps to show proof of the covrage
    T-Mobile left
    Cingular middle
    and Centennial right (Van Wert is indicated by the red dot)

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hmm that is really odd, maybe at&t added coverage there and just didn't update their coverage maps yet?? Does at&t even have a 850mhz license there?

Alien.

3. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm unsure..maybe I need to get down there and see what carrier my phone picks up...then we will all know!! I'll keep checking the a&t coverage every few days and see then I'll post a reply on this thread!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Alien...doing a lil reasearch..I found that both VZW and Alltel have 850mhz. licenses in Van Wert...is it possible that the roaming agreement is in place with one of those 2 carriers or not??

5. Analog134

Analog134 New Member

Centennial Wireless built a bunch of 1900Mhz GSM/EDGE towers in Van Wert Co. back in the end of November of 2007. Coverage is pretty good. They even have coverage in Ohio City, which Verizon was the only provider that had coverage in building.

I don't know if T-mobile will roam on the Centennial network, but I know my i-phone works here.

Hope this helps?

6. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Well I don't think it's possible to have a roaming agreement with Alltel or Verizon there even though it's 850mhz, it's cdma, and not gsm. Thats really wierd that none of the gsm carrier's coverage maps are showing any native coverage there. I think one of the carrier's need to update their coverage maps.

7. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    T-Mobile roams with Centennial I roam on Centennial when I was in Defiance and Napoleon Ohio. So it's possible that maybe Cingular and T-Mobile both are roaming with Centennial and their maps just arent updated yet

8. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    T-Mobile roams with Centennial I roam on Centennial when I was in Defiance and Napoleon Ohio. So it's possible that maybe Cingular and T-Mobile both are roaming with Centennial and their maps just arent updated yet

9. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

I'm thinking that too.

10. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    UPDATE!!!!

I was in Van Wert over the weekend....My T-Mobile phone roamed on Centennial...so alienware51..you were right...Centennial needed to update their maps!! I promised an update when I got over that way!! Now...why can any of the GSM carriers have coverage in Putnam Co. Ohio? Thats between Van Wert and Findlay..maybe Centennial will follow suite and have a buildout in this area!!

11. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones

Alltel operates a lot of GSM for roaming purposes. Western Wireless built it a number of years ago before being bought out by Alltel. All of the GSM that is available in the Dokota's and I believe Montana too is all from Alltel.

12. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Alltel does have some but its small compared to the rest of their network. Western didnt overlay their whole network just some of the highways where others dont provide coverage.

From what I have heard its not a very well put together GSM network and has quality issues and its not maintained the way it should be.

13. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

"All of the GSM that is available in the Dokota's and I believe Montana too is all from Alltel."

Montana has GSM from CellularOne (MTPCS, formerly Chinook Wireless), the Dakotas have Long Lines wireless in a tiny section as well as AT&T in the the downtown of a few towns.

Alltel covers by far the greatest geographical area of GSM in these states, but CellularOne is catching up quick.

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

You are all right about Alltel having the GSM in those areas. They also have some here as well. As a past GSM user who got to roam on the Alltel GSM let me tell you it was a horrible experience. But at least you could make a call.

15. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

I'd be very surprised if Alltel in Montana and the Dakotas DOESN'T get divested to AT&T in this whole merger thing, so that's good news GSM-wise...

16. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    The GSM would be beneficial to AT&T but its not as easy as splitting it off.

All Alltel GSM in the old WW area in co-located on the same towers as Alltel CDMA.

17. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    so what would they do?

18. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

I never said the GSM would get split off. I said I expect Montana and the Dakotas to have forced divestures and AT&T will most likely pick them up. The general order of events in this would be the GSM build out would be finished and tuned, customers would receive new handsets, and the CDMA would be shut down and one more step in the death of CDMA would be complete (carriers, including Verizon for 4G, are abandoning CDMA en masse)