Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Vacation to Colorado Front Range

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by PCSuser, Jan 30, 2008.

1. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Hello All,

I am planning a trip to the Colorado Front Range. We are going end of April/begining May.

Cities/Towns that will be visited:

Denver International Airport
    Denver (western side of city)
    Boulder, CO
    I-70 West
    Dillon
    Keystone
    Leadville
    Silverthorne
    Frisco
    Breckenridge
    Copper Mountain
    Vail

and surrounding area/roads...

------------------

With us we will have three T-Mobile phones (which we have had before) and coverage has been okay. And last year we had an AT&T phone which was just a bit better than T-Mobile. (but they were both GSM - limiting our service out in Colorado).

So now without AT&T we have Sprint PCS - which is CDMA. So how is CDMA out in Colorado? In specific Sprint native, and any roaming out there?

Please let me know!

Thanks,
    PCSuser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If BillRadio does not come here soon I would send him a PM. He lives there and can give you a very good answer to most of your questions. Also go to his site mountainwireless.com and check out his info as well.

On a side note what you going for?

3. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I will be going for a ski vacation. I am wondering when I am not on Sprint out there, who will I roam on? And while roaming what features on my plan, the one below in my signature, will and will not work? Thanks, PCSuser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You will be roaming in Leadville as far as I know. CDMA works really, really well in Colorado so I doubt you will have a lot of problems.

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have been in Denver for 3 years now with Verizon (cdma) and have no problems. The only times I have ever seen an issue is traveling through the mountains and getting deep into a valley. But really no cdma issues.

Bill will have true scoop though. He knows this region and surrounding areas & there coverage very well.

6. Studogvetmed

Studogvetmed Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo-6650 (Katana II)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Mobile to mobile won't work while roaming.

N&W are normal roaming or not. Not sure about the other perks for sure, but my guess is all will work, except for possibly the s2h/pick 3 as being on sprint network may be the same requirement as M2M.

I'm in Loveland CO. Never had a major problem here in CO, except in the areas where the topography forces issues with most all cell signals. You'll either have great roaming, or great native service. If you are on a border, simply force your phone to digital roam if you can!

Happy travels. I think alltell is now if areas of CO, at least I think metro and SW, so you may roam on Alltell first depending on location, after that it will likely be verizon.

7. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    I am very happy with T-Mobile in Denver & the mountains, but you could stay in lodging that has a dead spot. T-Mobile now readily roams away from I-70, but you probably won't need it. Most of the time I prefer T-Mobile over AT&T.

Most of the state now has good GSM service with roaming provided by Alltel.

CDMA is a step or two better than GSM in the state, and Sprint is among the best in all the ski areas. If you should lose Sprint service, Verizon will be your roaming partner, but in most ski towns, Sprint works better than Verizon. Both have added sites to improve service in buildings as they all work great on the slopes.

You are fortunate to be able to ski after Spring Break. The weather is beautiful, the crowds are gone and conditions are still very good. Just make sure they'll be open. Breckenridge may stay open till the end of April, Copper often stays open through the first week of May, and Arapahoe Basin tries to stay open until July 4th. A-Basin just opened another 500 acres. They are the king of spring (& summer!) skiing. While conditions are awesome this year, it can still melt early. It isn't always the snow, it's having enough employees & customers to make it worthwhile.

8. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank you to all you guys who are helping me out.

Anyone else that has any information; that would be great!