Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

V710 Love-Hate Relationship

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by CaptainLoose, Jun 16, 2005.

1. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm on my second/upgraded v710, third holster, third charger (these things aren't too durable). So, I've been looking for a better "toy". Tried the VX8000, bought a RAZR w/ Cingular, bought my wife a VX6100, have used various Sprint phones.....I just can't find a better phone! I get signals where others can't, voice recognition is perfect, I have bluetooth (for those misguided cities that thing phones are more dangerous than make up and hamburgers), I have analog for those times I'm just too far out in the sticks, etc. I really don't like the style of the phone with the cyclops camera, the phonebook is stupid and outdated, the charger plug breaks weekly, etc. I just hate that its such a good phone!

I also hate that I have to stand in line to return my two RAZR's to Cingular next weekend and chance a year of customer service and billing problems!

I'm sorry...I'll never just buy a phone to try it out again. :O

Does anyone know for sure when the Samsung i730 will be released? :browani:

2. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I agree CaptainLoose. I think we are in the minority though. I have been looking at other phones and can't seem to find another one as good as the 710. However, those Nokia 6255i commercials are very intriguing though.

3. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Captain - sorry to hear that you've had so many durability issues with the V710. I've had mine since August, and I've had no complaints with the phone or the accessories. (Granted, I did swap it ONCE back in January to get a non-tilted camera, but otherwise there was nothing wrong with the phone I gave back.) My only real gripe is with the keypad layout, but that's minor overall.

I'm curious to know why your phone/accessories are failing so often...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eds222

eds222 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Lg Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I concur! I work for a Vzw dealer, so I can (and have) tried all kinds of phones, literally dozens. Overall, the V710 is the best phone I've ever used. I've come to the conclusion that phones are like women. You'll never find the perfect one.

5. eds222

eds222 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Lg Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thats my primary gripe too! Its a b-tch to use after you cut your finger nails!

6. cutback

cutback New Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My charger no longer works either. I have to move it around to get it to connect. From what I've read, it's a known problem. As for the phone, I love it. And I hate it. It's got everything I would want and don't want. Does anyone REALLY need a camera on your phone? I bought the v710 for it's signal strength and Bluetooth (for headset . . . I don't care about transferring files or ringtones). I do agree the phonebook sucks. I would like a more robust PIM - addresses, notes etc. And why the hell do phone makers still make phones with the antenna sticking out?

7. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Don't think it's a "known problem" since Motorola has used the same chargers on different models the past few years. I find that helpful if buying a new phone. While I do find the Motorola chargers kind of touchy, my family and I have had 3 V60i's my wife now has a Timeport 270c and I now have a 710. No one in my family has ever had a problem with the charger.
    For me anyway it's a matter of your hands "learning" to put it in the correct way.

8. eds222

eds222 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Lg Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Your right about "learning" to put it in the correct way. If one tries to connect or disconnect at any sort of angle (besides strait in and strait out) their apt to have problems.
    However, I do think it is a "known problem" at least to the extent that Motorola repairs phones with tweaked charging recepticles under warranty despite the fact that it is not a manufacturers defect. I think they must at least recognize the weakness of the design. I can't understand why they continue to use it.
    I was really disappointed when I saw that the V710 used the same poorly designed charging connections as the 120s, V60s, 720/730s, etc. I sell Vzw and over the last several years I can't begin to remember how many of these phones went bad because of this poor design. I don't think most folks feel that they should have to be so cautious with such things. I wish they would use something like you see on Nokias or Lgs, just a simple strait pin.

9. cutback

cutback New Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    When I said known problem, I meant I've seen other posts here about it. And when I plug something in whether it be a lamp or cellphone, when I make the connection it should be secure. This thing is looser than a cheerleader . . . well you get the idea.

10. third_i

third_i New Member

i love my v710! it's the best phone i've ever had, by far

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. eds222

eds222 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Lg Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    There must be something you wish was different about your 710, just a little?
    Like I said, Phones are like women - you'll never find a perfect one.

12. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    No truer words were ever said about cellphones. There is always a negative about any phone I have ever had. An example is my 710. I love the phone and the reception it gets but I don't like the fact that you can't customize the outside screen.
    I like the LG 6100 but would never get a CDMA phone without an extendable antenna. If only the Samsung 670 had a speakerphone........................

13. CASH629

CASH629 Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 8700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    its def a common problem. i had the problem too and had to get a whole new 710. something with the way the charger is built that breaks the charging unit in the phone...or something like that, i have no idea. i dont work for moto.

but i did need to get a new phone, and the new one didnt have a tilted camera :) but the 4 doesnt light up :( but i got the extended battery so i dont need to charge the phone as much :) but it makes the phone look very ugly :(

#13 CASH629, Jun 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  14. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Why does Motorola stick with this badly designed charger?

Thge same reason Nokia STILL gives you and ACP 7U. So that your NEXT phone will be compatible with the single most important "accessory" for a phone. Your charger. Moto is stuck. And so are we. Because they are fine with having to replace them. As lkong as people keep buying there stuff they are all good.

15. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Boy am I guilty of that one.. :O , but I have to admit that I kind of like the fact that most of the chargers are the same. I like being able to use one at home, take one to work, or use another when traveling. I've never experienced a problem with the chargers. I actually like them, though I do agree wholeheartedly that they are not the best designed chargers out there.