Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

V-262 Question - Warranty Issue?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Another Bob, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Another Bob

Another Bob New Member

I had a Motorola V-262 that was randomly jumping from digital to analog even when it had a strong digital signal. Last week I did a warranty exchange for another 262. I got back to the office and had 5 bars of digital signal, but within a couple of minutes the new phone had switched to analog. I turned it off and back on and again it had 5 bars of digital but in about three minutes it jumped to analog for a few minutes and then back to digital. I placed a Nokia 2865 and a T-720 side by side with the 262 and they do not have the same problem.

This happens with the 262 in various locations, including at home. I am in Arkansas, zip code 72830, on sid 342. Has anyone else seen this problem with the 262? Did I just get a bad replacement phone and need another exchange? I would welcome input from Alltel reps.

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I haven't heard of this issue happening with any Alltel v262's... or any v262's for that matter.

The only thing I can think of is the T720 and the Nokia 2865 would have an older Alltel PRL and if the v262 has a newer PRL (206 or 606, probably) it might be trying to pick up other networks as a priority over the older phones.

Is it always on the Alltel network (ie, not roaming?) If it was switching between Alltel digital and analog roaming, it may indicate that a roaming analog signal is stronger and is overpowering the Alltel digital signal.

Make sure the settings are "CDMA Preferred" or "Digital Preferred..." however it is listed on the v262

It's odd that the same thing would happen with two separate handsets, though.
    :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Another Bob

Another Bob New Member

I have never heard of problems like this before either, and the store rep found nothing in known issues for the 262. I manage a multi-line business account so I am familiar with programming and updating the phones. The 262 is very simple and everything appears to be correct. It is set to prefer digital. There is not a way to set it to digital only.

This is happening in my home sid so roaming is not an issue. All of the phones are on PRL 606. I would question whether there was a tower problem but the other phones should be having the same problem if that was the cause.

4. HATMAN

HATMAN New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel U, TRACFONE, Page Plus, U S Cellular (pp)
    I had the same problem. I did a PRL update to 606 and it has never happened again. B4 the update I was using Verizon towers, after the update I use Sprint towers. Maybe you could try changing SIDS to see if that does anything. Try 1818, Monroe Wi

5. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Hey Another Bob...Greetings. Please check my first post of 8/28/06 titled "Battery Drain Problem." The key points are numbered. Check number (5). This post has had 52 replies and 1,243 views. The answer is yes I have the same problem with my v262 but have been told the problem is not the phone itself (Alltel replaced my first v262 with another one). Alltel tech support told me the reason my phone switches from analog to digital every few seconds was because my home is sitting between two competing towers and that I am in a known poor service area. This switching is causing my battery to drain in 3 hours on standby. It was suggested that I set my phone to digital only or analog only but this model phone will not accept this setting (when you turn it off and on again it just goes back to the default settings). If you have time read my thread, I learned a lot, however bottom line for me is Alltel has basically kissed me off :( ...they won't exchange this phone for one that will give me a digital only signal even though they know that is what I need and that I am in a known poor service area. Hope you have better luck.

6. Another Bob

Another Bob New Member

Gabbyfire, that is very possible. I am not in a fringe area but I wonder if the signal from two local Alltel towers could overlap in a way to cause conflict. Other phones will show the occasional drop from 4 or 5 bars down to 1 or 2 and then bounce back up. If the 262 is more sensitive to the drop in strength when it scans, it could be causing a switch to analog.

Maybe Alltelwirelesstech could weigh in on the possibility of tower issues. From the EVDO map on the Alltel web site it appears we are scheduled for EVDO between now and January. Is this something they could take a look at during this upgrade process?

7. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Hey Another Bob: I'm not sure how the upgrade will affect my service (especially since Alltel keeps telling me I have an Alltel tower only 3.5 miles from my house but can't tell me where the other competing tower is!!). I really like the v262 phone and hate to give up on it (especially since I paid for it!). But I think I will take the advice of one of our forum members and purchase (at my own expense) a Nokia 3587i. I understand this is a simple little phone but one that can be set to digital only. I am a prepaid customer and all I need is a very basic phone. Maybe this will work for me. Having said that if there is anyone out there who might know how to program the v262 to hold a digital only setting please let us know. Thanks.

8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Gabby,
    Have you thought about getting the Nokia 2865i, since it's a Nokia I would think that it could be set to digital only but I'm not certain. You could get it for 39.99 on a prepaid plan + whatever else they charge, activation fee I guess. After you buy it, you own it so you can turn right around and have it activated on the line you're using. But all in all it might be cheaper than getting one on eBay or paying retail price for another phone.

9. Another Bob

Another Bob New Member

Unless it has recently changed, the 2865i is going for 29.99 on prepaid. I have one and it does have a setting for digital only. It is a nice little phone with bluetooth and speakerphone.

10. Another Bob

Another Bob New Member

Very strange... just turned my Razr on and it shows roaming on sid 4164. I am in the middle of sid 342. Where is 4164? I am just about convinced that we have a tower issue.

11. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    According to PRL interpretations:

SID: 342: Alltel Communications
    CMA165B Fort Smith, AR-OK
    CMA182B Fayetteville, AR
    CMA324B Arkansas 1 - Madison
    CMA331B Arkansas 8 - Franklin
    CMA599B Oklahoma 4 - Nowata

SID: 4164: Sprint PCS
    SCAN 150A 425B 450B 475B etc.
    MTA041B Oklahoma City, OK

Was there a power outage? If not then it probably is a tower that's not working for some reason. At least it's a free roam until it gets back online.
    edit: But it is strange because Oklahoma City doesn't sound like it's near SID 342. Are you sure that you've not been abducted by aliens and transported in a UFO to a new location??? :speechles

12. Another Bob

Another Bob New Member

No power outage. The phone switched back and forth into roam on 4164 3 or 4 times over a period of less than 5 minutes then it settled back into sid 342 with four bars.

13. winter_war

winter_war Junior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I roam on SID 4164 when I'm in Wichita Falls, TX. That's about 140 miles to the South of Oklahoma City.

14. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

I checked Alltel.com and couldn't find this deal. I am currently minute to minute/prepaid. Is this offer on a website or where?? This phone sounds like it has the features I need and the right price. Thanks

15. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Looks like it is $29.99 with Prepaid service if you go to www.alltelu.com and click on "see phones". Also if you are starting a new prepaid line you would have to pay 29.99+20+25 for the whole thing. Unless you can get them to use your number and account and just use the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...