Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

utStarcom PPC6700 Questions

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by jagray85, May 19, 2007.

1. jagray85

jagray85 Junior Member

I just said screw it and I purchased a brand new pda phone for 175 with a 512mb mini sd card at a cell phone company thats going out of buisness. I used to have razr's and I like this phone alot more. But I just wanted to check out what I can do to it, Rom updates? Software Updates or Upgrades..

BTW, its a Stock UTStarCom PPC6700 Alltel Phone Flashed to the Cricket Network. If that is needed.

2. AlltelUser

AlltelUser New Member

There is a ROM update available, but I don't recommend it as anyone I've seen download it compromises the performance pretty badly.

3. jagray85

jagray85 Junior Member

how do I fix my bluetooth? Like I can see other people's phones but my phone has no services availible like Obex File Transfer and other things like that. Other people can transfer files to each other but I can't transfer to them. Is there any bluetooth fix?

4. AlltelUser

AlltelUser New Member

I dont recall, I thought it had voice and OBEX transfer, but its been so long since Ive had it. If its not showing up on your comp then it probably does not have it.

5. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It does have both, first of all the bluetooth in the WM5 pda's is a bit different than say you're razr's you're used to. First of all let's look at voice, you should have a button on the left side that open's your "phone" menu, it will allow you to turn off/on wifi, phone, bluetooth, sound, data connection, and activesync, in the bottom right there's a softkey map to "Settings" that's where you find your bluetooth settings, pair up your headset and you should be good to go, now obex is a bit different, basically hold click an item in your file explorer and click to beam, it'll give you the option to beam to any bluetooth device it detects.

Just to reitterate something you've probably already figured out, all the extra features of a PDA such as the Starcom 6700 (HTC Apache,) Cingular 8125/Tmobile MDA (HTC Wizard,) Cingular 8525 (HTC TyTN/Hermes,) etc, is that you lose user friendliness and general useability, there's also a very steep learning curve. Best of luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jagray85

jagray85 Junior Member

ok I figured out the beam last night from a txt file in the windows folder. but still having problems learning things. I'm a pc nut so is there anything I can look at to figure all this stuff out? the problems I'm still having is my pda can't view the bluetooth services of my 6700 phone.

also are there any hacks or mods or upgrades I can make to this phone.

7. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh yeah there are a ton of "registry hacks" here's a good place to start HTC Apache - HowardForums Wiki
    Everything else about the phone you'll learn by playing with it, aside from messing with the ROM 99% of the time you can do a hard reset (reset it to factory standards) so don't worry too much about messing it up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jagray85

jagray85 Junior Member

Ok, still having issues beaming... are there any fixes for this phone that I should perform to make it run better? Like I can beam a file to my HP iPAQ... but my iPAQ can't beam anything to my Phone, unless using the infrared. Also I'm having problems sometimes with the phone turning staying off. Like I turn it off so i dont waste the battery, the phone and bluetooth stays on ofcource... but sometimes it all will turn off so that I have to pull the battery and restart the phone to get it back on. I know my iPAQ does the same sometimes.

9. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The phone not turning back on is called BSOD (Black Screen of Death) a softreset (the little button you press in with your stylus) should suffice for that, that's usually caused by programs running off the memory card. As far as your beaming problem, make sure you have Make My Device Discoverable turned on in Bluetooth settings and there's a option that's usually turned off (to save battery) it's under Settings -> Connections -> Beam, "Receive All Incoming Beams." You need to enable that, if you have anymore problems don't hesitate to ask, I'll try my best to respond and there are others here that are most likely willing to help as well. Good luck.

10. jagray85

jagray85 Junior Member

My brother just bought a TYTN, and is looking up hacks and mods we can do to our phones. including the WM6 upgrade. But my main concern is better bluetooth... More performance. I want the A2DP profile enabled. How do I go about doing that? I've seen some reviews of people doing it, but give no info. I bought a MotoStereo Bluetooth dongle device that plugs into my home stereo (car stereo in my case) and I can transmit my music over bluetooth from my phone to the stereo. But I need to have a2dp enabled. I saw that I have to do a rom update, but I'm still confused as to how.