Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Using T-Mobile GSM now

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Kaosinla, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Kaosinla

Kaosinla New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 8890
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    I posted earlier about getting an nokia 8890 on T-Mobile. I have very little to no reception anywhere in Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, or W. Los Angeles. The store said that ATT did something with their towers which is disturbing Tmobile/Cingular GSM reception. I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm 2 days into the contract. The store called in a service issue to TMobile, but I'm wondering if it's B.S. because they might get a higher commission from a Tmobile sale. I know I have a 14 day free look, but I don't want to wait forever. How is ATT GSM? My phone is a $400 paper weight right now....

2. gsaldivar

gsaldivar New Member

Go to any T-Mobile retail store and arrange for a loaner phone (it's free).

Take the SIM card out of your 8890, put it in the loaner and use it for a few days. See if you notice a difference.

This can help rule out the phone as being the cause of the problem.

3. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

There is nothing that ATT (or any carrier) can do to disrupt any other providers' signals.

4. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Not quite true. When AT&T first switched on their GSM here in Los Angeles, some of the T-Mobile phones (most notably the Samsung R225, which is Not Known for its wonderful ability to accept OTA updates) would switch to "Emergency Only" if there was a stronger AT&T signal than a Cingular signal. Supposedly it was something about AT&T not rejecting the T-Mobile users.

That's long since been cleared up, though, and it sounds like a convenient excuse.

That said, I have T-Mobile and while there are small parts of West L.A. and a large chunk of Beverly Hills where there is no coverage, I used to live in Santa Monica and my phone worked fine everywhere except in the garage of my building.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

Still, that's not effecting the other signals. They don't opperate outside of their licenced spectrum. That was merely a problem of the phones using towers that they weren't supposed to roam on to.

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you baught the phone directly through T-Mobile, it may be true. But if you bought it from a authorized agent or dealer, its more than likely BS. I tried T-Mobile for a while. I purchase two phone to see which one I liked better. I took one back within the trial period. I asked the agent/dealer if there was anything I needed to do, they said "They will take care of everything". When I received my first bill the second line was still active. T-Mobile told me that I had to cancel the service myself, suprise. But they told me that I would not be billed the $200 fee for cancelling the line. My second bill had the cancelation fee along with more airtime billed to the second line. I called customer service again, they took the cancelation fee off. But when I asked about the airtime they told me since the phone was not purchased directly through them they could not prove the phone was returned. And the agent/dealer gave me the run aroundabout the return, and to this day I have not received the refund for the phone. I then canceled my other line of serivce with T-Mobile & paid the fee to get rid of them for good. Just make sure you go through the provider directly. I have never had any problems going direct, but its a different story going through agents/dealers. Hope this long reply helps you in some way.

7. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

If you have no signal the ATT excuse is simply BS. Don;t trust the dealer, give the phone back. If your phone locks in "emergency only" and you can switch it off and back on then it's a phone issue.

However, as Zaphod said, the ATT problems have been resolved quiet some time ago. So again, I think the dealer is bs-ing.

C.

8. DCinSEA

DCinSEA Junior Member

Well, it is not legal to disrupt signal, but it CAN be done. Jammers exist, but they are outlawed in the US (except for law enforcement and military, of course!)

Nextel caused AT&T a lot of trouble when they started up, because iDen uses a hybrid of TDMA. AT&T had to install Nextel filters on all their cell sites.

Also, there is a saturation point for RF, and when that happens the signals do interfere with one another. It is hard to do, but we have seen it a little here in the Seattle area where we have 2 Cellular carriers, 5 PCS carriers, plus Nextel. Only the Nextwave C Block of PCS is not currently in use here.

Yes, and the dealer is wrong. Take the phone back. You should get signal in most areas, unless you live in a cave and commute to hell for work!

9. Jocko

Jocko New Member

I have been using a Samsung R225 since last July. Overall there have been no problems with the phone and I've found the RF performance to be fine, equal to a friends V66.
    The problem with AT&T and the phone going Emergency Only has not been resolved here (South Inland Empire) as that still hapeens quite frequently though.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]