Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Using free MP3 ringtones on the Samsung m510

Discussion in 'SAMSUNG' started by nick2588, Jul 16, 2007.

1. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I don't know anything about other phones, as this is the only one I have. Seeing how the phone you are talking about is not at all similar to the m510 -- Samsung and Sanyo are different companies -- you should probably search these forums as well as Google for information specific to making ringtones on your phone. You could also start a new thread in the Sanyo section requesting the information.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. heavywater

heavywater New Member

Thanks for your response and time nick.
    I have searched as far as I know how and there unfortunately doesn't appear to be any information on how to get ring tones on the sanyo dlx without downloading or purchasing them.
    The file structure was similar to the m510 and it certainly couldn't hurt to give it a try. Unfortunately it wasn't as easy as it appeared, at least not with the strategy I tried. The phone may be fairly new and perhaps those that have purchased it haven't had the time or skills to figure out how. I'll submit the new thread and periodically peruse other forums to see if at some point someone has had success.
    thanks again
    HW

3. andib

andib New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung M510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This is AWESOME - thank you! Only wish I'd seen this before I purchased Samsung PC Studio which does NOT work with the M510.

Now, does anyone know how to copy jpg files onto the card so that you can use these as images for your contacts? I did a straight copy (very small file) and, when I go to add it to a contact - as soon as I scroll down to that particular picture, it 'reboots' my phone! I know it's this file that's doing it as when I delete it from the card, it no longer does this.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!
    (I'd even be willing to purchase software like the PC Studio if it will actually work with this phone)

Thanks!!!!!

4. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You should be able to put JPG images onto the phone the same way (they go into the DCIM\100SSMED folder, with the other pictures). I've saved Facebook pictures and sent them to my phone for when those people call. Maybe try another image? Maybe rename the file? Maybe you could try opening the file and resaving it?

Paint.NET is a free photo editing program for Windows; check that out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nick you know alot about this how do you like the nice warm weather for a change.

6. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Haha, yes, yesterday's ~40 degrees was twice as warm as it had been during the past week or two. Who knows, soon we may even go two days in a row without accumulating more snow on top of the permanent six inches. :p

7. laserman

laserman New Member

To smitg10...

I had the same problem where my phone locked up and restarted. I found that the Audacity program I downloaded was the beta version, not the stable one and they identify that on their website. Download the stable one and it should go through the right steps when setting things up for your ring tones.

Apparently the beta version does some different encoding and the phone doesn't like the mp3 files that were created with this version.

8. laserman

laserman New Member

After getting the clip desired through the Audicity program, there is another program that you can get that you can use to convert them which will enable you to listen to them as you are scrolling through the files on your phone.

On Download.com, there is a free (and I mean free) download video converter called Free Mobile Video Converter Lite 1.5.

After converting your file with Audicity, don't change the tag and make the file name something you can recognize as long as it is one word with no spaces.

Run the video converter program. Because the Samsung M510 phone isn't listed as one of the phones, I simply selected a similar Samsung phone that had the same video size. In this case, I selected the Samsung x820.

For encoding, I selected Samsung x820 Normal Quality (220x176 - 3gp) profile and have had no problems with conversions. The M510 also has the same size screen.

Click on the Select File icon. In the next window, change the drop down menu "Files of type" selection to "all files" and then open the directory where your mp3 file is at.

Once your file is selected, click on "Convert". Because the file is so small, you probably won't see a progress percentage. Once it is converted, a balloon will come up in your task bar stating "Encoding Completed Successfully"

You have the option to change the "Output Directory". The default directory is C:\Program Files\Free Mobile Video Converter\Videos. In there you will find the converted video. It converts it with a tag of .3gp.

Find your converted file and rename the file, changing the tag to .3g2. You will get a pop up window stating "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?" Click yes.

Load that file in your phone in the DCIM\100SSMED folder. Go to your contacts and find the person you want to associate that song with. Under options, edit contact. Scroll down to Ring and press OK. Next window states Name Ringer. Select number 6, My Videos. It will ask whether you want phone or memory card. Select wherever the file is at. I keep mine on the card. Next you will get the boxes with the red X in them. Highlight one of the red X boxes and press options. First option is Play. press and your sond should play if it is the file you converted. After a number of converted songs are loaded, you may have to shuffle through them, playing them and then assign the one you want to the caller you pulled up and there you go.

You can also go to the file folder where your converted songs are at and play them in the player. Good luck and hope this helps.

One other thing. This free video converter has also helped in converting videos and playing them on my phone. It claims to be able to convert *.avi, wmv, dat, vob, mov, rm, flv, mkv, and mpg's. Good Luck.

9. Hornstarkey

Hornstarkey New Member

I just received my new Samsung m510 phone, and I'm trying to put music on the SD card. Every time I put the SD card in the adapter and insert it into my laptop (a Dell Inspiron e1505), it recognizes it, but tells me that "The disk is not formatted" and asks me if I want to "format it now." Should I do this? Will it hurt the compatibility with the phone? Is there any way to format it on the phone and will that help? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

10. laserman

laserman New Member

To format the card, put the card in your phone. If you have any data on there that you want to keep, save it on your computer to put back on later.

Open (flip) your phone. Press Menu OK button. Press (9) Tools. Press (5) Mass Storage. Press (3) Format Memory Card. You may have to enter a lock code. If it is a new phone, the lock code may be the last four digits of the phone number or the last four digits of the primary users social.

Once it is formatted, you should have three folders. DCIM, MEDIA, and OTHERS. Another folder will come later called filestore. Place your music in the MEDIA folder. You should be good after that. Good Luck.

11. laserman

laserman New Member

Also, these instructions are listed in your manual on page 137.

12. Hornstarkey

Hornstarkey New Member

Thank you for your help! I formatted it on the phone.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work for me. I still get the same error when I put it into my laptop. It says "disk in Drive G is not formatted." and asks me if I want to format it. I went ahead and tried to format it on the laptop too, and it says it cannot be formatted.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Or anything I can do to fix this?:confused:

13. Hornstarkey

Hornstarkey New Member

I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the help!

BTW this thread is amazing! Thanks OP!!!:O

14. 1sicktsi

1sicktsi New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510 1 gig chip
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hi, i followed all instructions but when my phone rings i do not get any sound, it only vibrates. I used a program called cool mp3 splitter, made output files with .3g2 on them. Let me know what i can try Thank you Eric

15. 1sicktsi

1sicktsi New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510 1 gig chip
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

I got it!!! works awsome thank you for this awsome thread!!

16. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Another way to trim your song to a suitable length for a ringtone is to use the online tool Make Your Own Ringtones - Free Ringtone Maker. It's not as precise or powerful as Audacity, but it doesn't require a software download. You'll still need to rename the resulting .mp3 file to a .3g2 file as described in the first post of this thread.

17. 1sicktsi

1sicktsi New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510 1 gig chip
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Why does the ringtone stop working when you ____ your phone off and turn it back on? Everytime i shut my phone off i have to assign a custom ringtone again. Is this normal?

18. Hammer0087

Hammer0087 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Rumor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    sprint
    will this also work for the m520?

19. smallgirl36

smallgirl36 New Member

i followed all these steps and still it won't play when i call my phone?
    any thoughts?

20. ryanmkd

ryanmkd New Member

I'm really hoping someone can help me with my problem. I have audacity, and i've been cutting the tracks up just like you guys have said. They're usually around 310kb in the end. However, when i play them back, the quality is beyond crappy. Any help?

21. jackyma

jackyma New Member

This was a GREAT help Nick2588. useful for me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Zeppallica

Zeppallica New Member

umm hi i followed all the steps and used audacity to export as an mp3 with a .3g2 file extension and when on the phone, i press options >assign>Voice calls>either with or without caller id, i get the message, "Media file saving has failed" :( :loony:

Any Suggestions?