Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Using free MP3 ringtones on the Samsung m510

Discussion in 'SAMSUNG' started by nick2588, Jul 16, 2007.

1. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    In case anyone else has the Samsung m510 and is trying to figure out how to put free ringtones onto it, take heart! Yes, it can be done, and yes, it is quite simple.

The phone supports both MP3 and AAC ringtones as long as they conform to these specifications:
    • The file size must be less than 512 KB.
    • The file name cannot contain spaces.
    • The file must have the .3g2 extension (note: for some reason, this is case-sensitive... the g must be lowercase or it will not work!)
    • The file can be put onto either the phone itself or the memory card, as long as it is placed in the DCIM\100SSMED folder. You can transfer the file to the phone via any method (Bluetooth, USB data cable, memory card, or WAP/Internet download).

Once you have the ringtone file uploaded to your phone, go to Pictures > My Albums > Memory Card (assuming you put the file on the memory card) and find the file. This is somewhat difficult because all of your ringtones will show up as a red X. You will not know the name of the file, so it is a good idea to name them using by selecting them and choosing Options > Details/Edit > Text Caption as soon as you upload them. Once you select the file you want as a ringtone, choose Options > Assign and assign it to what you want. To assign it to all calls, first do Options > Assign > Voice Calls > With Caller ID and then do Options > Assign > Voice Calls > No Caller ID.

That's it! It's quite simple as long as you know the naming limitations on the filename. No special programs or file formats are required -- just use Audacity to trim your song and export directly to MP3, then rename the file to have the .3g2 (again, must be lowercase!) extension. Voila, free ringtones for your m510. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. slushpuppy

slushpuppy New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung M510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bell Mobility
    This was a GREAT help Nick2588. I was getting disappointed when I couldn't get the MP3 ringtones I had spent so much time preparing. You solved it for me! :cool: You're Nick #1 cool in my book! :):cool:

3. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nick hey how are you I am really close to Provo. Any ways if you have data you can do it even easier and download it right to your phone. if interested let me know and I will put instuctions up.

4. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It's already rather easy, I think. My laptop has Bluetooth built in, so it's basically drag and drop from the Desktop onto the "M510" in My Computer -- the file goes where it is supposed to automatically. Still, if there's a website that will crop the song and send it to your phone in a single step, please feel free to post about it. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. montage

montage New Member

Okay, I used audacity and renamed the extension properly. My filename was simply "1.3g2" and I put it in the folder. When using the phone, it brought up a file with the red x for a preview and recognized it as a movie, but it was unable to play. When I attempted to play it it brought up the player and nothing happened.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Aaron

6. montage

montage New Member

and yes, the file was small enough

7. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The files will NOT play in the player, but you still should be able to assign them as a ringtone. While you are in the My Albums screen with the red X highlighted/selected, choose Options (right softkey), then Assign (5), then Voice Calls (3), then either With Caller ID (1) and/or No Caller ID (2). If successful, it should say "Assigned this video to Voice Call."

I know you won't be able to play it in the standalone player, but if you try to assign it as a ringtone, does it work?

8. montage

montage New Member

Ok, it does work afterall! I just assumed that if I couldn't open it with the player then I couldn't use it. I'm not technologically handicapped, I had actually figured out how to make the files on my own, I have just never had a decent cell phone until now and I'm not used to the fancy functions and back routes to get around downloading and such.

Thanks a lot! :D

9. paulbk

paulbk New Member

so, i just followed all of the above steps. i rename the file (478kb) from .mp3 to .3g2. Assigned as said before and now when i get a call, the phone rings 1 time on the callers on and my phone reboots. any ideas?

10. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hmm, that's strange. I wonder if there is more to it. Maybe the length of the filename must be uner some number of characters? Maybe the phone can only handle certain sample rates or bitrates? Or maybe there is something wrong with that MP3 file? Try another file and encode it at 128 kbps and 44.1 kHz and call it "Test.3g2" and see if it does the same thing.

11. paulbk

paulbk New Member

i will try that once i have a moment. I mean, it orignally was an mp3, rename to teardrop.3g2 with the standard bitrate and 472K file. but i'll deffinatly look into your suggestions

12. Kapone87MN

Kapone87MN New Member

yo i have the best way to download songs. its called tonethis.com and u download a program that allows you to take the songs on your computer and make a start and finish where ever you want them. it will show a long sound wave that will have 2 markers. first it converts it then sends it to a blank url that has a button of your song. click it and wallaah! you just downloaded the best part iof some song PEACE:cool:

13. Donzi

Donzi New Member

I have had 4 ringtones on my phone now that I put on there.. but as soon as I put more or so it seems I can't scroll down on them because it'll lock my phone up

14. veteran808

veteran808 New Member

I used that and it was pretty easy. However, sometimes (not all the time), I get calls but the phone doesn't ring. I'm not sure why and have no clue on how to fix it. Any help would be great.

15. midtoad

midtoad New Member

Just to let you know that this works with Virgin Mobile Canada's Samsung m510 as well. I put 3 .mp3 files (renamed to .3g2) on my card in the suggested folder, and they all showed up in my list of videos. but, of course, their names had been changed so that the caption was something like v198379093. I just compared the file size against what was on my PC, and then edited the caption to something resembling the original. I then used Options > Assign > Voice Calls > With Caller ID (and ditto for Without Caller ID).

This is a bit of work, but Virgin doesn't sell the ringtone I wanted ( a custom instrument sound), so there was no commercial alternative.

Thanks for the tip!

16. 4mee

4mee New Member

I tried this but it did not work I used my sd card to put the converted file on and the size was 107kb I went to pictures album and looked in the dmci folder but didn't see the file. my extension was a number and 3gp I see the file on the memory card and can play it but cannot get it to the ringtone! Please help I used another method having it sent through internet wap but the sound of the ringtone was to low.

17. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Make sure you used the file extension is 3g2, not 3gp. My old phone used 3gp but I found that it will only work properly if you use the 3g2 extension.

Note that on my phone I cannot play the ringtones by clicking on them on the phone. If I select the file, it just gives a generic "Unable to Play File" error. I'm thinking something might be wrong if the file does play on your phone (maybe this is caused by using the wrong extension).

If it still doesn't show up in Pictures > My Albums > Memory Card after you do that, check to be sure it is on the memory card. Go to Menu > Tools > Mass Storage > File Manager > Memory Card and see if you can see the file in the folder on the memory card. If you see it (it should be under the DCIM\100SSMED folder), press the right softkey ("Options") > Move > Phone Album. Now go see if you can find the ringtone in Pictures > My Albums > In Phone. Remember, it should not play if you click on the file from this screen, but you should still be able to set it as a video ringer.

18. 4mee

4mee New Member

Hey Nick! Its 4mee I asked you about help with putting my own ringtones on the samsung m510 and I wanted to thank you, I finally got it with your knowledge I feel like my phone is complete as a multifunctional cell phone I think its a good phone! Everything was just like you said with the naming of the file and applying it as a ringtone and the location in the album folder I did it with a couple of files and everything was as you said. Thanks so much

19. HoneyD

HoneyD New Member

Thanks ! This solution is really appreciated ! :)
    With this method, we're also able to assign a personnalized mp3 ringtone for a contact (using video rings rather than "voice Calls").

At the same time, do you know if it's possible to also use an MP3 as text messaging ringtone ?
    It doesn't seem to let us do that ....

20. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to do this. I do not think it is possible, but if someone does figure it out, I am sure we would all be interested in the solution. The choices for text message noise are indeed lacking.

21. TakeAbyte

TakeAbyte New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A516
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Rogers
    I have a Samsung A516, will this work on my phone?

TIA

22. Soupman36

Soupman36 New Member

Nick2588,
    I downloaded some free games with file format jar and jad to my Samsung M510. Is there a trick to getting these to work similiar to the ringtones? Do I need to change the file extension?

23. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hmm, I don't know to transfer Java applications to the M510 (they just show up in the File Manager, but they cannot be launched or "installed", it seems).

However, a very simple solution is to just download the file on your phone instead of on your PC. (If the files are only on your PC, just upload them to your own website... put the .jar and .jad files online and go to the .jad file in your phone's web browser). When the phone's web browser encounters a .jad file, it will install the Java application into Menu > My Content > Applications (this is why you can download and use things like Opera Mini, Gmail, and Google Maps).

24. Soupman36

Soupman36 New Member

nick2588,
    I haven't enabled my web browser package yet. Is there a way around this? I transfered the files to the memory card but I can't find a way to access them.

25. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, you do not need to use the web browser to do this. I transfer ringtones using Bluetooth because it is just easier, but you can also do it using a USB data cable or a memory card.

Put the memory card into the computer. Make sure you put the files into the correct folder on the memory card (see first post, bottom item in bulleted list) and make sure the files conform to the other specification (correct file extension, etc.). Then put the memory card into your phone. Go to Pictures > My Albums > Memory Card and you should see some items there. They will appear as a white square with a small red X in the center. These are the ringtones you created. Assign them as your phone's ringtone by following the steps in the first post.

If you don't see any items inside Pictures > My Albums > Memory Card, the files do not conform to the require specifications (wrong format, wrong file extension, file size too large, duration too long) or you did not place the files into the correct folder on the memory card.

26. TakeAbyte

TakeAbyte New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A516
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Rogers
    Can anyone tell me how to designate the file to the memory card?

TIA

27. smitg10

smitg10 New Member

ok i made the file, it is .3g2, on the icon it says 3GPP2 (quicktime) the file size is 450kb, the name is halone, no spaces. my phone crashes and restarts when i go into my album on my memory card to assign it....any ideas why? please, thanks

28. heavywater

heavywater New Member

unfortunatley, this process does not work for the katana DLX model pcm-8500.
    It did work on my previous phone, the m510.
    Have you or anybody successfully been able to create video songs for the katana DLX:banghead:???
    I have tried everything I :censored: know and it won't let me set the video as a ringtone for w/caller id or without. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance..:)

29. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You can also make actual .3g2 files using QuickTime Pro. These ones will correctly preview on the phone when you click on the "Play" button (but the icon will still show an X). :)

Open your file in QuickTime Pro, then go to File > Export. From the Export dropdown menu, choose "Movie to 3G", then click the Options button. Change the File Format dropdown menu to "3GPP2". Switch to the "Audio" page, and change the Audio Formay dropdown menu to "AAC-LC (Music)". Use a bitrate such that the estimated file size is under 500 KB -- 128 kbps or 112kbps should usually work. Obviously you want Stereo and Best for Encoding Quality. Then press OK and save your file with a .3gp extension and no spaces in the filename.

The next time you make a .3g2 file using QuickTime, you don't have to change the options again.

If you want to use Audacity first and then QuickTime Pro additionally (to make the file previewable on the phone), export the file from Audacity as a .wav (uncompressed) file to keep the best sound quality.

30. heavywater

heavywater New Member

Ok, guess quicktime pro is not freeware.?
    I used audacity and super as you described in the first post of this thread and it worked perfectly on the m510 (samsung). The same process didn't work for my sanyo katana dlx. Super, however, does not appear to the ability to convert to 3GPP2?
    What puzzles me is when you record a video with the katana, it saves the file as a .3g2. So when i convert a snippet of an .mp3 to .3g2 file using super, the phone won't allow me to set the video as a non/caller id for incoming calls. I even put it in the same place as you mentioned in the first post DCIM/100SSMED (this location is in the micro sd card) that file location does not exist in the phone. I have moved the .3g2 file to every folder and it still did not work.
    Any other ideas... or should i just purchase quicktime pro??

thanks hw